Modem Dead?

Old September 6th 03, 11:48 AM
James

Default Modem Dead?

Hi - I was using freeserve as my isp and all was working well. I installed
AOL 8 and now the modem is dead - even if I re-install the drivers and
remove AOL - why oh why did this happen?

thanks

Old September 6th 03, 02:29 PM
philo

"James" wrote in message
Hi - I was using freeserve as my isp and all was working well. I installed
AOL 8 and now the modem is dead - even if I re-install the drivers and
remove AOL - why oh why did this happen?

thanks

you could try removing all networking components
and any modem(s) shown in control panel

then reboot and install all from scratch

Old September 6th 03, 05:36 PM
James

"philo" wrote in message

"James" wrote in message
Hi - I was using freeserve as my isp and all was working well. I

installed
AOL 8 and now the modem is dead - even if I re-install the drivers and
remove AOL - why oh why did this happen?

thanks

you could try removing all networking components
and any modem(s) shown in control panel

then reboot and install all from scratch

I have done that - no modem still...

Old September 6th 03, 05:59 PM
Phrederik

I'd call AOL and ask what their software did...

....but they don't call it A-O-Hell for nothing!

Old September 6th 03, 06:11 PM
James

"James" wrote in message
Hi - I was using freeserve as my isp and all was working well. I

installed
AOL 8 and now the modem is dead - even if I re-install the drivers and
remove AOL - why oh why did this happen?

thanks

i rang aol and they simply ran through the same routines as I had to
troubleshoot and then said the modem was dead (I knew that) they said it has
nothing to do with there software. I know that it is more than possible for
it to be their software as I have been a programmer for 7 years. The only
thing that I wonder is - does the AOL setup include accessing the ROM on the
modem? - Does AOL access the modem directly without being driven by the
modem drivers - Would they be directly accessing the modem for any reason?
any time during setup or use? - anyone?

Old September 6th 03, 07:09 PM
philo

"James" wrote in message
[...]

well to tell the truth i once did load aol on to one of my machines
when i first got into computers...and the modem never worked again...
however if aol really went around and destroyed modems as a general rule...
i think there would be a lot of complaints...
even though i am totally against aol...
i have to give them the benefit of the doubt and say it was probably
a coincidence

one last thing:
i have seen installed software somehow actually cause a change in the bios
irq assignment to the modem...
so before you trash that modem...so how the bios detects it
and possibly do a little trial and error reassignment

Old September 6th 03, 09:17 PM
kony

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 11:48:15 +0100, "James"
wrote:

Hi - I was using freeserve as my isp and all was working well. I installed
AOL 8 and now the modem is dead - even if I re-install the drivers and
remove AOL - why oh why did this happen?

thanks

You are jumping to a conclusion (modem is dead) without telling us any
of the symptoms causing you to conclude that it is "dead".

If it's "dead", there's no recovery, buy another modem. If it's just
misconfigured, not dead (the more likely situation) then we need exact
details of what's going on.. only you are sitting in front of the box.

Dave
Old September 6th 03, 11:49 PM
Phrederik

- Download the latest drivers for your modem that you can find. Do NOT
install them yet.
- Boot to safe mode
- Delete any instance of the modem that you can find in the Device Mangler
- Shut down
- Remove the modem from the computer
- Start the PC
- Uninstall anything to do with the modem that you can find. AOL software,
any drivers, etc. that are in the add/remove software.
....at this point you have to look at the instructions for your modem
drivers. If they should be installed BEFORE putting the modem back, reboot
the computer now and then run the modem installation. Now shutdown and
install the modem INTO A DIFFERENT SLOT than before. Start the PC.
....if the modem should be installed BEFORE installing the modem software,
shut down the PC now and reinstall the modem INTO A DIFFERENT SLOT than it
was before. Start the PC and install the drivers.
- Reboot the PC

If it's going to work, it should work now.

Old September 7th 03, 10:13 AM
James

wrote:

Hi - I was using freeserve as my isp and all was working well. I

installed
AOL 8 and now the modem is dead - even if I re-install the drivers and
remove AOL - why oh why did this happen?

thanks

You are jumping to a conclusion (modem is dead) without telling us any
of the symptoms causing you to conclude that it is "dead".

If it's "dead", there's no recovery, buy another modem. If it's just
misconfigured, not dead (the more likely situation) then we need exact
details of what's going on.. only you are sitting in front of the box.

Dave

ok - modem worked before aol. aol was installed - modem doesn't work any
more. I have uninstalled the modem ( from device manager) and then let the
system detect it again on reboot - it was detected and yet still did not
work, neither with modem diagnostics or hyperterminal etc. Nothing can now
communicate with the modem - at all. There is no IRQ conflict and windows
detects no problems with the modem- It's just that windows cannot
communicate with it any more - the only thing that had changed was AOL being
installed -

Old September 7th 03, 10:20 AM
James

wrote:

[...]

another point is that AOL 8 (current version on system) - was installed ok
before and worked fine - but since then windows has been re-installed - ...

Modem speed terry General 5 September 3rd 03 01:40 AM
zoom 56k modem Jim Turner General 0 August 28th 03 02:34 PM
Modem won't hang up any more! Chief Thracian General 6 August 19th 03 02:23 AM
Westell DSL Modem and Windows XP John McGaw General 3 August 14th 03 07:51 PM
No Boot After Modem Install Steven J General 2 July 12th 03 08:55 AM