Modern (Ti4800SE) video card in my P2B-F?

Old June 25th 03, 08:08 PM
Colin Bigam

Default Modern (Ti4800SE) video card in my P2B-F?

Well since Asus tech support has been their usual helpful selves (HAH!), I'll
put the question here.

I have a P2B-F, with a Celeron 1GHz on a slotket adaptor. My video card is
ancient, and I want to upgrade it.

What I'd like to do is get an AGP 3.0 card like an nvidia 4200-8x or a 4800SE
chipset (don't ask about ATI--it's not going to happen), and even an Asus
card possibly (9280 or 9480).

The problem is that NO ONE seems to know for sure if these AGP 3.0 cards will
work in the AGP 1.0 slot on this motherboard. Can I put one of these cards
in my system? And if not, then what?

Thanks,
Colin
Old June 25th 03, 08:29 PM
Roland Scheidegger

Colin Bigam wrote:
Well since Asus tech support has been their usual helpful selves (HAH!), I'll
put the question here.

I have a P2B-F, with a Celeron 1GHz on a slotket adaptor. My video card is
ancient, and I want to upgrade it.

What I'd like to do is get an AGP 3.0 card like an nvidia 4200-8x or a 4800SE
chipset (don't ask about ATI--it's not going to happen), and even an Asus
card possibly (9280 or 9480).

The problem is that NO ONE seems to know for sure if these AGP 3.0 cards will
work in the AGP 1.0 slot on this motherboard. Can I put one of these cards
in my system?

Yes you can. Even the dustbuster (aka nvidia fx5800ultra), fx5900ultra
and ati radeon 9800pro will work (as they are backwards compatible to
AGP 1.0). Almost all cards today available are backwards compatible to
AGP 1.0, the exceptions are ati radeon 9600/9600pro and Matrox P650/P750.

Roland

Old June 26th 03, 04:05 AM
Paul

In article , Roland Scheidegger
wrote:

Colin Bigam wrote:
[...]

This web page puts the Radeon 9800 in the same catagory as the 9600/9600pro.
http://www.ati.com/support/agpchart/agp.html

I don't understand - what good is keying those cards as "universal"
connectors, if the cards cannot take 3.3V ? Does this mean
9600/9600pro/9800 burn when you put them in an old 3.3V only
motherboard ? Why wouldn't the cards have a "1.5V only" slot cut
in them ?

Strange,
Paul
Old June 26th 03, 12:35 PM
Roland Scheidegger

wrote:

Colin Bigam wrote:

[...]

The 9600/9600pro do not have a universal connector, regardless what ATI
writes (you can easily see that on pictures). However, the Radeon
9800pro indeed has a universal connector.

Does this mean
9600/9600pro/9800 burn when you put them in an old 3.3V only
motherboard ? Why wouldn't the cards have a "1.5V only" slot cut
in them ?

As said, the 9600/9600pro indeed have a 1.5V only connector. I'm not so
sure about the 9800. Since it is keyed for 3.3V operation (in contrast
to the 9600) it SHOULD run in those old boards. It certainly shouldn't
(and I'm pretty confident it won't) blow up. I don't know why ati lists
it as not 3.3V signal voltage compliant, it is possible it's a simple
error on the website, or it's possible there might be some small
compatibility problem with 3.3V operation (for instance it might not run
100% stable). It could also just mean it's not officially supported. The
preorder listed it as 3.3V compliant, so do several vendors (for
instance crucial,
http://www.crucial.com/store/partspe...CTV9800P128A28). I
don't know if anyone has tested it, it's probably a bit overkill...

Roland

Re Video card problem oldgrey General 0 January 15th 05 05:08 PM
Tyan K8S Pro S2882: installing a PCI video card Andy Kuo General 1 November 5th 04 03:10 AM
Video Card or Power Supply problem? Sapphire Radeon 9600 PRO, generic 300W PS, MSI 845Neo-FIS2R MB Nick Z Homebuilt PC's 2 June 6th 04 12:29 AM
fx 5200 sweet deal but will it work ? Skybuck Flying General 20 May 12th 04 05:31 PM
video card replaced, machine will only boot to safe mode hiphop General 2 November 5th 03 08:06 AM