Asus K8V SE Deluxe Question and Advice Requested

Old April 28th 04, 10:13 PM
AU

Default Asus K8V SE Deluxe Question and Advice Requested

Does anybody own or have any experience with the Asus K8V SE Deluxe
motherboard? I know that the first version of this board (not SE) had some
issues, and it seemed like it was more than just bad capacitors on limited
shipments. Though the Asus K8V Deluxe earned many positive reviews and
recommendations, there are several forums which show many frustrated people
having great difficulty getting it to run acceptably - or even to run at
all, in some cases. Memory problems, IDE problems, frequent crashing and
general instability... it all leaves one feeling somewhat less than
enthusiastic about the original K8V.

I didn't come across most of these forums until after I ordered my Athlon 64
system (though I had heard of the capacitor issue with the first revision),
which uses the Asus K8V SE Deluxe as the MB. I have not heard nearly the
same amount of horror stories with the SE version, but perhaps that is
because it hasn't been on the market as long. It would be great to get some
feedback from owners of this model. Also, if anyone knows of any
incompatibilities with the board and the parts I chose, please let me know!

ANTEC SX1040 PERFORMANCE II TOWER
ASUS K8V SE DELUXE
AMD ATHLON 64 3000+
OCZ DUAL CHANNEL OPTIMIZED 2X256MB DDR PC3200 CAS2 (OCZ400512ELDC-K)
SEAGATE BARRACUDA 40GB 7200.7
1.44MB BLACK 3.5IN FLOPPY
MSI GEFORCE FX5200 TD128
CREATIVE LABS AUDIGY 5.1
LG GCE-8525B BLACK CDRW 52X32X52

And just in case I do encounter a lot of trouble with the Asus, what would
you recommend as a replacement: MSI KT8 Neo-FIS2R (nobody seems to have any
problems with this one) or Abit KV8 Max3 (another excellent board which
apparently doesn't cause many headaches).

Thanks very much,
Al