please help me with xp installation

Old January 9th 09, 04:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
elodie

Default please help me with xp installation

Hi everyone,

I have a dell pc with windows vista on it. I want to install windows
xp instead.

Last night I thought I would use my windows xp installation disk to
wipe out the existing windows vista from the hard drive, format the
hard drive and install windows xp instead. But the formatting process
stopped at 10%. I thought that the formatting was just taking long and
went to bed. But this morning the formatting process was still stuck
at 10%. Now when I reboot, all I can do is access the BIOS. I
understand that what I did was not very smart.

I would much appreciate it if someone could indicate what I should do.
Thanks in advance.

Old January 9th 09, 04:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"elodie" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

I have a dell pc with windows vista on it. I want to install windows
xp instead.

Last night I thought I would use my windows xp installation disk to
wipe out the existing windows vista from the hard drive, format the
hard drive and install windows xp instead. But the formatting process
stopped at 10%. I thought that the formatting was just taking long and
went to bed. But this morning the formatting process was still stuck
at 10%. Now when I reboot, all I can do is access the BIOS. I
understand that what I did was not very smart.

I would much appreciate it if someone could indicate what I should do.
Thanks in advance.

Please post your Dell model and number for starters.

Old January 9th 09, 04:27 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
elodie

On Jan 9, 10:22*am, "S.Lewis" wrote:
"elodie" wrote in message

Hi everyone,

I have a dell pc with windows vista on it. I want to install windows
xp instead.

Last night I thought I would use my windows xp installation disk to
wipe out the existing windows vista from the hard drive, format the
hard drive and install windows xp instead. But the formatting process
stopped at 10%. I thought that the formatting was just taking long and
went to bed. But this morning the formatting process was still stuck
at 10%. Now when I reboot, all I can do is access the BIOS. I
understand that what I did was not very smart.

I would much appreciate it if someone could indicate what I should do.
Thanks in advance.

Please post your Dell model and number for starters.

Thanks for the message.

It is a Dell Dimension E521 Desktop PC.

Old January 9th 09, 04:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

elodie wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have a dell pc with windows vista on it. I want to install windows
xp instead.

Last night I thought I would use my windows xp installation disk to
wipe out the existing windows vista from the hard drive, format the
hard drive and install windows xp instead. But the formatting process
stopped at 10%. I thought that the formatting was just taking long and
went to bed. But this morning the formatting process was still stuck
at 10%. Now when I reboot, all I can do is access the BIOS. I
understand that what I did was not very smart.

I would much appreciate it if someone could indicate what I should do.
Thanks in advance.

Having the computer stuck at 10% while formatting may or may not be the
sign that the hard drive is failing. Here is what I suggest:

1. It is likely that the formatting operation wiped out the Dell
diagnostic partition, but maybe it did not. As a quick check in hope
that the diagnostics are still there, power up the system, press the F12
key and select Dell diagnostics. If the diagnostics actually start up
(rather than the system simply hanging), run the hard drive diagnostics.

2. If the Dell diagnostics do not run, reboot, press F2 to enter the
CMOS setup, and determine the manufacturer of the drive. Finally,
download and run the drive manufacturer's free diagnostics.

3. If you want to bypass the disk diagnostics, download COPYWIPE and use
it to wipe the drive clean, and then install XP.

Google is your friend, not Microsoft's. Use it to find the software you
need... Ben Myers
Old January 9th 09, 06:41 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
elodie

On Jan 9, 10:29*am, Ben Myers wrote:
elodie wrote:
[...]

Thanks a lot for the help. I will be following your instructions.
Old January 9th 09, 11:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
elodie

elodie wrote:
[...]

I was able to access the diagnostics. It said that the hard drive is
functionning.

So it is not clear to me why I was not able to format the hard drive
using the installation CD of Win XP. Thanks again for the help.
Old January 10th 09, 12:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 07:08:53 -0800 (PST), elodie
wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have a dell pc with windows vista on it. I want to install windows
xp instead.

Last night I thought I would use my windows xp installation disk to
wipe out the existing windows vista from the hard drive, format the
hard drive and install windows xp instead. But the formatting process
stopped at 10%. I thought that the formatting was just taking long and
went to bed. But this morning the formatting process was still stuck
at 10%. Now when I reboot, all I can do is access the BIOS. I
understand that what I did was not very smart.

I would much appreciate it if someone could indicate what I should do.
Thanks in advance.

There are many "windowsxp" newsgroups, you might try one or all of
them. I use them all the time and they know there stuff.
Good Luck.
Old January 10th 09, 02:41 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Fred[_8_]

"elodie" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

I have a dell pc with windows vista on it. I want to install windows
xp instead.

Last night I thought I would use my windows xp installation disk to
wipe out the existing windows vista from the hard drive, format the
hard drive and install windows xp instead. But the formatting process
stopped at 10%. I thought that the formatting was just taking long and
went to bed. But this morning the formatting process was still stuck
at 10%. Now when I reboot, all I can do is access the BIOS. I
understand that what I did was not very smart.

I would much appreciate it if someone could indicate what I should do.
Thanks in advance.

You may have an issue with the mode that the drive controller is set to in
the BIOS.
Vista knows about AHCI mode and includes the drivers.
XP doesn't know about AHCI so has trouble seeing the drives unless the
appropriate drivers are slipstreamed into a new XP instal disc.
Sometimes you can put the drive controller in IDE mode ar compatability mode
so that XP can find the drives.

Old January 10th 09, 05:58 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have a dell pc with windows vista on it. I want to install windows
xp instead.

Last night I thought I would use my windows xp installation disk to
wipe out the existing windows vista from the hard drive, format the
hard drive and install windows xp instead. But the formatting process
stopped at 10%. I thought that the formatting was just taking long and
went to bed. But this morning the formatting process was still stuck
at 10%. Now when I reboot, all I can do is access the BIOS. I
understand that what I did was not very smart.

I would much appreciate it if someone could indicate what I should do.
Thanks in advance.

Is the cd scratched by any chance ?