nVidia GeForce FX 5200

Old July 14th 03, 01:24 AM
PentiumPunk

Default nVidia GeForce FX 5200

Any comments about the nVidia GeForce FX 5200 card? Is it a good buy, or no?
How does it compare to ATI?

Old July 14th 03, 01:30 AM
John P.

PentiumPunk wrote:
Any comments about the nVidia GeForce FX 5200 card? Is it a good buy, or no?
How does it compare to ATI?

I have one. I'd tell you how it works, but I have no idea. I've never
managed to make it do that. One tech told me it was a compatibility
issue with my system (an HP), so I replace the MB, CPU, & Power supply
with **** hot new stuff... and the FX5200 still won't work. Took that
one back and got another one... that one doesn't work either. Just
freezes the system.

Old July 14th 03, 06:15 AM
Wheat Muncher

John P. put me in my place by writing

PentiumPunk wrote:
Any comments about the nVidia GeForce FX 5200 card? Is it a good buy,
or no? How does it compare to ATI?

I have one. I'd tell you how it works, but I have no idea. I've never
managed to make it do that. One tech told me it was a compatibility
issue with my system (an HP), so I replace the MB, CPU, & Power supply
with **** hot new stuff... and the FX5200 still won't work. Took that
one back and got another one... that one doesn't work either. Just
freezes the system.

Do the 5200's have the AGP and PCI slot on them?
I wonder if it possibly has something to do with pallette snooping and
default boot display?
Just a quick thought...

--
Wheaty...

Gimme the ball... puhhllleeeeaaasssse gimme the ball!
Old July 14th 03, 09:05 AM
Strontium

I wasn't aware that video cards had slots, on them?

-

PentiumPunk wrote:
Any comments about the nVidia GeForce FX 5200 card? Is it a good
buy, or no? How does it compare to ATI?

I have one. I'd tell you how it works, but I have no idea. I've never
managed to make it do that. One tech told me it was a compatibility
issue with my system (an HP), so I replace the MB, CPU, & Power
supply with **** hot new stuff... and the FX5200 still won't work.
Took that one back and got another one... that one doesn't work
either. Just freezes the system.

Do the 5200's have the AGP and PCI slot on them?
I wonder if it possibly has something to do with pallette snooping and
default boot display?
Just a quick thought...

--
Strontium

"Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311

Old July 14th 03, 09:11 AM
Wheat Muncher

Strontium put me in my place by writing

I wasn't aware that video cards had slots, on them?

-

Oh for the love of pearl.... you know what I meant I should hope... the bus
connection type- Does it require and AGP as well as a PCI?

Old July 14th 03, 09:31 AM
Strontium

Video cards are either PCI, or AGP. And, no, I did not know what you
meant. You were way out, in left field, at least to me.

-

Old July 14th 03, 12:53 PM
bluestringer

"Wheat Muncher" wrote in message
Strontium put me in my place by writing

Video cards are either PCI, or AGP. And, no, I did not know what you
meant. You were way out, in left field, at least to me.

LOL...sorry then. Some of the Nvidia FX cards required two slots- The AGP
and the PCI1 slot. I am not sure if they ever made it onto the market with
that configuration, or if the vendors changed that. It was going to be a
headache at any rate, and the noise earned them the moniker "dustbuster"
That may have just been the prototype design, I never ordered any of these
cards simply because of that fact, but opted for the TI series. They are a
nice card.
Now going through some of my suppliers... it was a simple error on my
part...sorry to have upset you so.

--
Wheaty...

Gimme the ball... puhhllleeeeaaasssse gimme the ball!

The FX 5800 and 5900 take up the PCI next to the AGP slot, but it doesn't
use it. It only uses the AGP slot. The cooling system on them makes them
wider, so the PCI slot is covered by the card. The FX5200 is the budget card
and only requires the AGP slot. Most of them use passive cooling.

bluestringer

Old July 16th 03, 02:32 AM
MCheu

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 00:45:50 +0100, "lates"
wrote::

"PentiumPunk" wrote in message
.com...
Any comments about the nVidia GeForce FX 5200 card? Is it a good buy, or

no?
How does it compare to ATI?

HI DUDE MY MATES GOT 1 AND ITS KINDA COOL BUT IF YA DONT MIND SPENDING A

BIT MORE YOU WANNA GET THE PROLINK GEFORCE FX5600 YOU GET A LOT MORE FOR YA
MONEY AND IT LOOKS SOLID TOO

NICE SOFTWARE BUNDLE

LATES.

You CAPS-LOCK key is stuck or your ISP's news server is doing
something weird to your posting. Might want to look in to that.

Thanks,

MCheu