Why ram only shows 256k? It's 512.

Old February 20th 04, 11:06 PM
sdlomi2

Default Why ram only shows 256k? It's 512.

Need some advice, pls. Just opened, new, sleeve of Kingston HyperX, 512
mg, PC3500. Installed in my Asus A7N8X "New version" from Newegg. Been
running 6 weeks +/- fine with 2/128, Crucial, pc2100 and 1/256, Corsair,
pc2400; cpu was a 2100+ at 11X190~ 2100.
Changed to Barton, 2500, week 3 of '04 (talk about new!) and changed ram
to the King. 512, 3500. Problem is system recognizes ram as 256, Sandra
sees 256. Am I missing something such as a setting somewhere? Cmos is set
to auto for cpu and ram----it sets 166 fsb & 11 for mult, and cpuid sees
1837--11X167.
Someone help? Thanks, s

Old February 20th 04, 11:19 PM
Philip Callan

Old February 21st 04, 12:12 AM
DaveW

Try installing the new RAM one stick at a time and booting up. That'll tell
you if one of the sticks is defective.

--
DaveW

Old February 21st 04, 12:30 AM
sdlomi2

"DaveW" wrote in message
Try installing the new RAM one stick at a time and booting up. That'll

tell
you if one of the sticks is defective.

--
DaveW

There's just 1 stick. s

Old February 21st 04, 12:44 AM
sdlomi2

"Philip Callan" wrote in message

sdlomi2 wrote:

| Changed to Barton, 2500, week 3 of '04 (talk about new!) and
changed ram
| to the King. 512, 3500. Problem is system recognizes ram as 256, Sandra
| sees 256. Am I missing something such as a setting somewhere?
| Someone help? Thanks, s

Sounds like what PC133 used to do, if your chipset didnt support that
style of memory density, how many 'chips' on each stick?

Philip

It appears to have 8 chips on each side. Does that indicate the
problem? If so, what would be the solution, or can it be run as a lesser
ram? If so, what would it run as? Thx, sdlomi

Old February 21st 04, 04:08 AM
dave AKA vwdoc1

Eight days ago I had bought a stick of Kingston 256mb 266mhz PC2100 and it
would allow my new computer to partially setup win xp and then errors would
appear.
I emailed Kingston and they told me to just exchange the ram at the store
where I purchased it from. I did today and the new one is running well.
In those 8 days I bought a different brand of ram to make sure that it was
defective ram and not something that I had done wrong. That was the week of
h#ll for me and that darn computer so I basically bought everything again so
I could find the problem.

Maybe you have defective ram so don't rule that out! Of course the store I
exchanged that stick of ram did not even check inside of it, so maybe
someone switched ram and you really have a 256mb stick!
AND NO, IT WASN'T ME!! lol
later,
dave

"sdlomi2" wrote in message
Need some advice, pls. Just opened, new, sleeve of Kingston HyperX,

512
mg, PC3500. Installed in my Asus A7N8X "New version" from Newegg. Been
running 6 weeks +/- fine with 2/128, Crucial, pc2100 and 1/256, Corsair,
pc2400; cpu was a 2100+ at 11X190~ 2100.
Changed to Barton, 2500, week 3 of '04 (talk about new!) and changed

ram
to the King. 512, 3500. Problem is system recognizes ram as 256, Sandra
sees 256. Am I missing something such as a setting somewhere? Cmos is

set
to auto for cpu and ram----it sets 166 fsb & 11 for mult, and cpuid sees
1837--11X167.
Someone help? Thanks, s

Drive shows up as PIO mode only Luis ORTEGA General 2 October 31st 04 09:55 AM
Computer Shows Todd Brooks General 5 August 12th 04 02:28 PM
Computer shows and vendors in Florida? Anon Homebuilt PC's 5 February 3rd 04 08:43 PM
Confused over AMD PR rating Overclocking AMD Processors 2 January 28th 04 01:18 AM
Be careful at "Computer Shows" William W. Plummer Homebuilt PC's 18 December 25th 03 09:19 PM