Adding memory to KX7-333R board

Old October 26th 03, 07:53 PM
Eric Robinson

Default Adding memory to KX7-333R board

I am currently using a KX7-333R mobo and I have 3 sticks of PC2700 512MB
memory. I have followed the direction for loading the memory into the DIMM
slots (ABIT goes 4 to 1) and everything seemed to work great. then I
started getting a blue screen doing a memory stack dump. I then removed one
stick of memory and the system just kept rebooting (never getting to the
windows XP start up screen). I now only have one stick in my system and
everything works, but now I have 2 sticks just sitting around. I would like
to use that memory. Has anyone encountered any of these issues before and
if so what did you do to solve it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric Robinson

Old November 1st 03, 11:52 PM
David

Eric Robinson wrote:

I am currently using a KX7-333R mobo and I have 3 sticks of PC2700 512MB
memory. I have followed the direction for loading the memory into the
DIMM
slots (ABIT goes 4 to 1) and everything seemed to work great. then I
started getting a blue screen doing a memory stack dump. I then removed
one stick of memory and the system just kept rebooting (never getting to
the
windows XP start up screen). I now only have one stick in my system and
everything works, but now I have 2 sticks just sitting around. I would
like
to use that memory. Has anyone encountered any of these issues before and
if so what did you do to solve it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric Robinson

Hello Eric,

I don't know if this will help you but at some point Abit published an
updated manual which states that the DIMM slots of the KX7-333R should be
populated from slot 1 - 4, vs. what was stated in the original manual.

Another tip would be to check your BIOS settings. When multiple DIMMs are
used you may need to set the drive sterength to high. With regard to
overall memory stability on my KX7-333R system, I had to set my memory to
the DIMM manufacturer's settings to achieve this with two 512 MB DIMMs
installed. This ensured that I could put a full load on the system without
experiencing hardware failures, e.g., compiling for extended periods used
to result in segfaults. This really stresses the CPU, RAM, and other
system components.

Hope this helps. :-)

- David