so much for linux

Old December 13th 04, 07:51 PM
Mr Jessop

"Mark Ingram" wrote in message
i have the suse9.1 iso. copied to cd. nothing.

Do yourself a favor... quit. You couldn't use Google to find KDE and
Gnome, you have yet to learn how to burn an ISO image. You're not ready
for Linux. Linux is for self starters.

did someone suggest i should look for these things? Did i attempt to find
them and fail?

Old December 13th 04, 08:01 PM
Mr Jessop

"Ruel Smith" wrote in message
news
Mark Ingram wrote:

i have the suse9.1 iso. copied to cd. nothing.

Do yourself a favor... quit. You couldn't use Google to find KDE and
Gnome, you have yet to learn how to burn an ISO image. You're not ready
for Linux. Linux is for self starters.

Though you're probably right, I don't discourage anyone from using it. I
use
it and love it. I have to admit that I was quite lost for awhile, but
eventually found my way around with some help.

I have been rather lax in the last year. I used to follow this stuff avidly
and upgrade regularly. But i've been concentrating on digital photography
and keeping up with the latest technology for a my job as a sales assistant.
I've spent most of my spare time on free.uk.photopgrahic.equipment.digital
and rec.photo.equipment.35mm. giagbyte, msi and ecs newsgroups. creative
banshee newsgroup. scanner group. printer groups. When its been time to
learn i have learned. Linux time is coming. Time to hit the books and the
websites. Next stop. proper wireless routers not simply peer to peer.

Been building my own stuff since an intel 486 33mhz.
amd 585 133
cyrix p686 166
amd spitfire 300.
intel celeron 333
amd duron 600
amd duron 1200
Stopped there because i finally had enough power for my needs. just kept
adding more ram, then firewire, then dvd add on board. then scsi writer then
16x ide writer, then dvd writer, dedicated film scanner. 5 printers.
wireless internet and networking.

have spent months on creative site learning about voodoo banshee, the
original power vr add on card. diamond monster cards.

Teaching microsoft office (windows 3.1) to the underpriveledged etc.

I'm sure getting back up to date won't take too long. Then finally
graduating from windows to linux.

Old December 15th 04, 01:17 AM
Ruel Smith

Mr Jessop wrote:

the pc format magazine dvd not only had the 9.1 distro but things such as
"the gimp" "wine" and other stuff.

Those apps are standard issue in all distributions. What you miss in the
free ones are Java, RealPlayer, FlashPlayer, OEM drivers for nVidia and ATi
cards, and other commercial, non-open source software. You can go to the
OEM's website and download all that stuff yourself, but it's much nicer
when you have in installed from the get-go via an rpm instead of a shell
script.

You'll want to do yourself a favor and ask SuSE specific questions in
alt.os.linux.suse. There are a few guys that help a lot, namely Kevin
Nathan and Michael J. Tobbler (mjt). You must remember to be specific and
give details if you want responses. Linux groups are very picky...

Old December 15th 04, 02:16 PM
patrick

Mr Jessop wrote:
"Mark Ingram" wrote in message

i have the suse9.1 iso. copied to cd. nothing.

Do yourself a favor... quit. You couldn't use Google to find KDE and
Gnome, you have yet to learn how to burn an ISO image. You're not ready
for Linux. Linux is for self starters.

did someone suggest i should look for these things? Did i attempt to find
them and fail?

simply stick with an ISO for a distro of your choice. Do not let
yourself get confused by all of the advice and terminology folks might
throw at you.

All those named programs are included in the ISOs of any full sized or
single CD install Linux distro, including these LiveCDs that are NOT the
mini-CD or Business card, or Floppy based (Boot and Root)mini-distros!

So, any ISO over 250Mb has either KDE and/or GNOME desktops, plus
perhaps, Fluxbox, icewm, FVWM... (these are some of the multitude of
Xwindows managers). You get to choose them upon each sign-in to the
system. Each user on a computer running GNU/Linux also can choose any
manager they desire!

Here are 190+ LiveCD distros, all FREE:

My favorite is Knoppix, also at http://knopper.net/knoppix

ALSO, check out any of the 672 Linux Users Groups, in 94 countries, who
have on-line help 24/7/365, and hold live, FREE, Installfests,
http://lugww.counter.li.org

Now, if you want to run some Open Source FREE programs on your Linux,
Mac, Sparc, Alpha, or that old windoze crashbox, get them (94,212+
programs!) he
http://theopencd.org (fer windoze, only)
and,
http://sourceforge.net

Old December 16th 04, 12:01 AM
Mr Jessop

"patrick" wrote in message
m...
Mr Jessop wrote:
[...]

thanks guys. i've got some reading to do from the sounds of it. The latest
advice is to ditch suse and use redhat. only there are three distros on
their site and they cost $179 for a download.

Old December 16th 04, 03:04 AM
Lordy

"Mr Jessop" wrote in
:

thanks guys. i've got some reading to do from the sounds of it. The
latest advice is to ditch suse and use redhat. only there are three
distros on their site and they cost $179 for a download.

http://fedora.redhat.com/

Either

1. Download CD isos
2. Order CDs from http://www.linuxiso.org/
3. Look at magazine cover discs for Fedora CDs (one of them should have
Fedora Core 3 on it)

If you machines have DVD drives replace CD with DVD above !

--
Lordy
Old December 16th 04, 08:07 AM
David Maynard

Mr Jessop wrote:

"patrick" wrote in message
m...

Mr Jessop wrote:

[...]

There's no reason to you to buy Redhat. Either get the open source Fedora
version

http://fedora.redhat.com/

http://linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=64

or something else.

Check here for a list of Linux distributions and ftp sites:
http://www.linux.org/dist/

If you want to 'buy' a CD, go here http://www.cheapbytes.com

Everyone has their favorite(s) but if you are not familiar with Linux I'd
suggest you avoid beginning with Suse or Debian as they expect more than a
passing expertise. Gentoo is even more complex for a first time user.

Normally I'd suggest Knoppix but I'm fighting some bizarre problems with it
right now on a machine where it's 'hard drive installed'. Could be the
machine itself but... well, I don't know or I'd have it fixed by now.

The reason for Knoppix is it has excellent hardware detection, runs as a
live CD, or can be hard drive installed, and is based on Debian (the
advantage there is Debian's package support but Knoppix isn't directly in
their tree) and Debian is fully free forever.

Just as an FYI, I was installing Knoppix to use as a front end for then
'upgrading' to a full Debian (unstable) because the Debian installer is
archaic.

Mandrake is a good 'Redhat clone' and is also relatively easy to install.

Old December 16th 04, 02:40 PM
Frank

"Mr Jessop" wrote in message
. ..

"patrick" wrote in message
m...
Mr Jessop wrote:
"Mark Ingram" wrote in message

i have the suse9.1 iso. copied to cd. nothing.

You just copied the iso to the disk. You did not burn the image.

simply stick with an ISO for a distro of your choice. Here are 190+
LiveCD distros, all FREE:

My favorite is Knoppix, also at http://knopper.net/knoppix

thanks guys. i've got some reading to do from the sounds of it. The
latest advice is to ditch suse and use redhat. only there are three
distros on their site and they cost $179 for a download.

Try this distro:
netinst CD image, with Debian base ((i386))
Download the iso+++use nero to _burn image_+++boot from the disk and install
to the preferable set up HDD or partition. There is a FAQ and a Wiki on
this page.
Good Luck

Old December 16th 04, 11:56 PM
Matt

Mr Jessop wrote:

thanks guys. i've got some reading to do from the sounds of it. The latest
advice is to ditch suse and use redhat. only there are three distros on
their site and they cost $179 for a download.

Use Fedora.
Old December 17th 04, 02:53 AM
Ruel Smith

Mr Jessop wrote:

thanks guys. i've got some reading to do from the sounds of it. The
latest
advice is to ditch suse and use redhat. only there are three distros on
their site and they cost $179 for a download.

Don't ditch SuSE for Red Hat or Fedora. The latest Fedora has gotten mixed
reviews. I've used Fedora, Red Hat, Mandrake, and SuSE at different times.
I like SuSE and Mandrake best.