Keyboard Problem

Old March 28th 06, 07:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default Keyboard Problem

Hi, can anyone tell me how to change my wireless keyboard (that came with my
Dell computer pakage) from the default "american" setting, to the English
setting?
any help appreciated, thanks.

Old March 28th 06, 08:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Mark Dunn wrote:
Startsettingcontrol panelkeyboardlanguagesEnglish (British)?

Under Linux: setxkbmap -model pc105 -layout uk -variant basic &
Old March 28th 06, 11:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

start-settings-controlpanel-datetimelanguageandregionalproperties-
then...
under the languages tab select the default input language of choice
english(uk). if it deos not appear in the drop down menu then you have to
first add it using the add button found in the same window.
furthermore you may want to configure your local settings under the
regionaloptions tab where you can set the standardsandformats and location.
then under advanced you can set it so that certain programs display
information in the menu bars coreectly.
finally you may also want to confirm that the date and time zone is correct
under
start-settings-controlpanel-datetimelanguageandregionalproperties-dateandtime-timezone(tab)
then dataandtime(tab).

o.uk...

Old March 28th 06, 11:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 19:40:31 GMT, Nicholas Andrade
wrote:

Mark Dunn wrote:
Startsettingcontrol panelkeyboardlanguagesEnglish (British)?

Under Linux: setxkbmap -model pc105 -layout uk -variant basic &

Thanks for the reminder of why I have no intention to learn Unix!

Journey
Old March 28th 06, 11:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 16:43:06 -0600, journey
wrote:

Thanks for the reminder of why I have no intention to learn Unix!

(the command-level OS from Hell)

Journey
Old March 29th 06, 04:05 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 00:31:44 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Thanks for the reminder of why I have no intention to learn Unix!

(the command-level OS from Hell)

Journey

as opposed to the clumsy menu driven alternative of windows that can not
only makes finding a seemingly simple switch to change an option nearly
impossible to find but leads to incomplete and confused directions (see
first menu driven solution posted above, which was wrong, vs my detailed one
posted afterwards, which is horribly complex)... windows is far from
perfect.

I know... I just wanted to see how a Unix person would respond. You
met my expectations :-)

Journey
Old March 29th 06, 09:34 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

wrote:

Thanks for the reminder of why I have no intention to learn Unix!

(the command-level OS from Hell)

Journey

If CLI's are too tough for you, then X-Windows running Gnome, Menu -
Control Center - Keyboard - Layouts - Add United Kingdom. I don't
run KDE, but I'm 99% certain that the process is basically identical.
Old March 29th 06, 10:27 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

wrote:

Thanks for the reminder of why I have no intention to learn Unix!

(the command-level OS from Hell)

Journey

If CLI's are too tough for you, then X-Windows running Gnome, Menu -
Control Center - Keyboard - Layouts - Add United Kingdom. I don't
run KDE, but I'm 99% certain that the process is basically identical.

Hi, thanks for the input. Actually I probably am going to install a
flavor of Linux on one of my computers and possibly learn some of it,
but only as a hobby, or maybe a way to immerse myself in something. If
I had plans to go back into computer programming, then I would be more
committed.

Learning Unix though seems sort of like learning Japanese -- a
lifetime pursuit (at least in writing and understanding the Kanji --
Japanese itself is an easy to pronounce language that is very regular
in its grammatical rules, much easier to learn than English).

When I tried to start learning Unix a while ago, I got paralyzed
before I even started -- which "shell" should I learn ... I don't
remember except they had names like Korn, Bourne, and CSH? And then I
did some Java programming on my home Linux machine, but it was hard to
set up a lot of the enviornment (like Ant). I remember having to do
something to get around security (sd?), and environment variables blah
blah blah.

Right now I am between careers (or more accurately, in a "twilight
zone" experience). I used to love programming computers because I
didn't have to deal with people. Now I hate programming computers
because it's a solitary task (in many ways) or it's a task which
demands great discipline and attention (like when getting user
requirements during systems analysis, or understanding the data for
data analyst work). Because dealing with people as an analyst
requires a lot of concentration in an analytical way, it's not the
same as relating to people in what I would consider more satisfying
(more casual conversation...).

A big part of me wants to become a social worker (hmm, maybe I'm going
from one extreme to another), but I asked about 10 social workers
about it and all of them said "NOOOO, run like the wind, do NOT go
into social work!".

For now though I am enjoying watching the craziness of corporate
downsizing, midsizing, rightsizing, and WRONG-sizing from the
sidelines, and letting other people swim with the sharks :-)

Ah yes, one of my "thanks for sharing" digressions lol ...

Journey
Old March 30th 06, 07:07 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 17:02:57 GMT, Nicholas Andrade
wrote:

What it really comes down to is there are certain tasks that are better
suited for a CLI than a GUI, and vice versa. For changing a keyboard
layout, it's fairly trivial either way, however consider this example:
Let's say you need to replace all instance of "Foo" with "Bar" in every
document in your current directory (but not every file has Foo in it).
In Windows you'd have to open Explorer, navigate to the directory,
double click on each file in the directory (you don't know which needs
to be changed), go to Edit-Replace All, re-enter what needs to be
replaced for each document; furthermore, this task doesn't scale well
for you, if there's a hundred documents in the folder, that would be a
lot of work. In a CLI environment, the same result can be achieved with
a one liner using a for-loop, grep, and sed (a regular expression
Stream EDitor), and now you don't care (or even need to know) how many
documents actually needed the change.

Thank you for taking the time to post this. It does help me
understand better something that I had known before but forgot.

My Java teacher is anti-microsoft (and very intelligent -- he also is
in e-mail contact with many of the Java pioneers and book writers). At
some point in the past he said he had two routes to go: 1) web
development, or 2) development using microsoft tools.

My point is that he chose web development, and did all his development
on Apple Macs.

In class, we deployed in the Unix environment. It was amazing to see
him enter all sorts of Unix commands to get his task done. Like you
said, batch searching, replacing, whatever, can be a lot faster in the
command line environment.

I think it's great that underlying the Apple Mac OS is Unix. Hmm,
what does Windows have for batch processing? I don't even know,
probably making use of underlying DOS (which is probably underlying
"virtually" now, not actually part of the OS?). There is something
called "Windows Scripting Host" -- not sure if that would do that.

It would be nice (and a real shocker) to see Windows based on Unix.
Probably not possible though, although if MS sees the pendulum start
to swing towards Unix I bet they would do an about face just as they
did with the Internet.

Oh well, I tried to make some sense in this post but I haven't had my
cup of coffee yet ...

Journey