Problem with my win2000 advanced server.

Old October 25th 05, 07:30 AM
Seth_Teflon

Default Problem with my win2000 advanced server.

I have a set up that I did a few years back. And have been using,
till I had a major Hard Drive failure.
Below are the details of the equipment.

Windows 2000 Advanced Server w/2 networkcards.
(OS is logged in as the Admin. account)
(3com etherlink XL 10/100 PCI) Connected to the below 5 port Hub
(Motorola wireless PCI adapter) Connected to a wireless Router.

3 Computers with 3com Ethernet cards connected to a 5 port hub
(Linksys)
(1 running Window XP pro, 2 Running Windows Me)

Wireless Router (Linksys) connected to a Cable Modem (Motorola)

The Server was configured in a way so I have 3 computers in my place
obtaining their IP addresses from it via the 3com ethernet card
configuration via the 5 port hub.

The wireless card was setup to obtain its IP address from the router,
that is connected to cable modem on another floor.

This all worked good and well, till the hard drive on the Server, (a 6
gig Hard drive) died.

(the server is used only to be a "server", as you will see why
below.)

I replaced the Hard Drive, no problem. I re-installed the OS, Windows
2000 Advanced Server, on to the Server. No Problem.
(ya, I was dumb for not having anything backed up)
PROBLEM!

well, since nothing was backed up and its been 2 years since the
creation of the network, I forgot how I configured the Server.

I have tried a few things and I am getting frustrated.
Need some ideas as the 192.168.1.....and such are all starting to blur
toghter in my head.

I can get the server to see and share files to the 3 computers via the
Linksys 5 Port Hub.

The server can see the wireless router. (but no packets come from the
router. Packets are sent, but not recieved.)
I got the MAC Address for my Router, and thought I could TELNET into
it but that info on how to excapes me at the moment. (was thinking I
would MAC Address the router via the interface, but the interface does
not come up when I type in the IP address, not even the log in
window)

I am resistant to reset the wireless router, as the last time I did,
it caused a problem with the cable company and they had to send a
Tech out, at my expense to re-configure the router, and the Cable
modem. I am afraid if the Tech guy comes out, he/the cable company
may just have a change of mind on how I am being billed, and being
serviced.

Also, If I connect the server directly to the router via a ethernet
cable, as I did once before, or to the Cable Modem, then the 3
computers I got, don't work, and when I switch back, the 3 computers
still don't work, and its a visit from the tech guy to reconfig the
cable modem.

I have never let the tech guy touch the server or other computers as
he has done everything via direct connection to the cable modem via a
USB cable connection from a Laptop. At the most, it takes him 30 mins
to do everything, but the bill is a bit steep.

The 3 other computers are used as follows.
1 For where I work, so I can work remotely for my job.
1 For personal use and games and surfing and such, for the kids.
1 for my home business, and private accounting.

See my account with the cable company broadband access is, I can only
have 1 computer connected to the cable modem, (or via a wireless
router). For every extra computer to the cable modem/Router, I have
to pay another 40.00 bucks per unit per month, to connect. The
computer (the Server) connected to the Router/Modem, is exampt, from
this clause, as the 3 other units are connected to the server. The
Supervisor way back when, came out and looked this over as well as
the Tech did also, and deemed as long as I have this setup this way,
I am not in violation of my agreement. (this was a big fight back in
the day, whith the local tech support, The cable companies office and
me. Thank god I won that battle)

Below is a very basic idea of the setup.

[b:4539afe56a]Cable Modem[/b:4539afe56a]-----
[b:4539afe56a]Router[/b:4539afe56a]
~~~(wireless

access)~~~
[b:4539afe56a]Server[/b:4539afe56a] ----- [b:4539afe56a]5
port hub[/b:4539afe56a] ----- [b:4539afe56a]3
computers[/b:4539afe56a]

Any help will be usefull. Thanks.

Old October 25th 05, 05:33 PM
jaster

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 06:30:52 +0000, Seth_Teflon thoughtfully wrote:

Could you restate your problem without the history of cable guy? I get
you have a problem connecting your W2k AS to the router. I don't get the
specifics of the problem?

I have a set up that I did a few years back. And have been using, till
I had a major Hard Drive failure. Below are the details of the
equipment.

Windows 2000 Advanced Server w/2 networkcards. (OS is logged in as the
Admin. account) (3com etherlink XL 10/100 PCI) Connected to the below 5
port Hub (Motorola wireless PCI adapter) Connected to a wireless Router.

3 Computers with 3com Ethernet cards connected to a 5 port hub (Linksys)
(1 running Window XP pro, 2 Running Windows Me)

Wireless Router (Linksys) connected to a Cable Modem (Motorola)

The Server was configured in a way so I have 3 computers in my place
obtaining their IP addresses from it via the 3com ethernet card
configuration via the 5 port hub.

The Server was configured how?

The wireless card was setup to obtain its IP address from the router,
that is connected to cable modem on another floor.

What wireless card ?

This all worked good and well, till the hard drive on the Server, (a 6
gig Hard drive) died.

(the server is used only to be a "server", as you will see why below.)

I replaced the Hard Drive, no problem. I re-installed the OS, Windows
2000 Advanced Server, on to the Server. No Problem. (ya, I was dumb for
not having anything backed up) PROBLEM!

well, since nothing was backed up and its been 2 years since the
creation of the network, I forgot how I configured the Server.

I have tried a few things and I am getting frustrated. Need some ideas
as the 192.168.1.....and such are all starting to blur toghter in my
head.

I can get the server to see and share files to the 3 computers via the
Linksys 5 Port Hub.

So Server sees networks over hub? But not over Router?

The server can see the wireless router. (but no packets come from the
router. Packets are sent, but not recieved.) I got the MAC Address for
my Router, and thought I could TELNET into it but that info on how to
excapes me at the moment. (was thinking I would MAC Address the router
via the interface, but the interface does not come up when I type in the
IP address, not even the log in window)

telnet using ip address of router usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 most
routers should be accessed using a browser to http://192.168.1.1 the IP
address of the router.

I am resistant to reset the wireless router, as the last time I did, it
caused a problem with the cable company and they had to send a Tech out,
at my expense to re-configure the router, and the Cable modem. I am
afraid if the Tech guy comes out, he/the cable company may just have a
change of mind on how I am being billed, and being serviced.

If you can see the router through your browser then you should see the old
setup on the router for W2k AS.

Also, If I connect the server directly to the router via a ethernet
cable, as I did once before, or to the Cable Modem, then the 3 computers
I got, don't work, and when I switch back, the 3 computers still don't
work, and its a visit from the tech guy to reconfig the cable modem.

[snip]

Below is a very basic idea of the setup.

Does this mean Server has a wireless connected to the router and a
wired connection to the hub? Are the 3 computers getting IP address from
the router or the Server?

Cable Modem----- Router~~~(wireless access)~~~
Server ----- 5 port hub ----- 3 computers

Any help will be usefull. Thanks.

So the problem is, you can't get the wireless connection between the
Server and router to work?

I think it's because you don't know the WPA and WEP wireless setup on the
router for the Server. Look for the documentation from the Cable guy's
original visit. It should have the password, passphrase, WPA, WEP,
channels, 64 or 128 encryption etc. Otherwise using IE you can look at
your router setup (without changing it) for your wireless connection if
you know the routers password, it may be the manufacturer's default
password since you didn't install your router.

I prefer router with internal 4port switch, router provides IP
address or manually assign IPs. That gets rid of hub. Best would be all
wireless especially since you only have 4 PCs. Meanwhile find WPA, WEP
and password info for your router.

Old October 25th 05, 07:00 PM
C.

Taken from linksys's site.

Question

I’ve lost the password to my router, what can I do?

Answer

Hold the reset button on the router for 30 second, do not let go of it after the diag LED turns off, continue holding it until 30 seconds have passed.

After you’ve done this, the router will revert to factory defaults, all of your settings will be lost. By default the default Password for the router is admin, and there is no User Name.

Suggest you look there for configuration info.under support.

http://www.linksys.com/

C.