My Vintage Dream PC

Old January 21st 09, 01:34 AM posted to alt.computer,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computers,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GreenXenon

Default My Vintage Dream PC

On 2009-01-20, GreenXenon wrote:

My vintage dream PC contains that MoBo along with the following:

1. OS: Windows 3.0 [not 3.0a, just 3.0]

2. Sound Card: SB16 ISA [all accessories -- such as speakers --
included]

Now this is contradictory. Windows 3.0 did not include multimedia
support. To get that you had to install the Multimedia Extensions.
From memory that was the same upgrade that updated the version to
3.0a. For the same reason, you won't get canyon.mid in plain 3.0.

Didn't Windows 3.0 in "enhanced mode" have multimedia support without
needing to change to 3.0a?
Old January 21st 09, 01:48 AM posted to alt.computer,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computers,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
david

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 18:26:39 -0800, GreenXenon rearranged some electrons
to say:

Hi:

My vintage dream PC contains that MoBo along with the following:

I still have an original 1983 IBM PC sitting in my basement... can't get
more vintage than that.
Old January 21st 09, 04:31 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computers,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

GreenXenon wrote:
Hi:

http://www.redhill.net.au/b/b-93.html

From the looks of all MoBo's on that site, the "UMC 386DX-40" is
probably the best for my vintage dream PC.

Welcome to hell.

The 486 is so much better. They even run wins 98 acceptably.

NT
Old January 21st 09, 07:40 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computers,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Andrew Smallshaw

On 2009-01-21, GreenXenon wrote:
On Jan 20, 8:04 am, Andrew Smallshaw wrote:

Now this is contradictory. Windows 3.0 did not include multimedia
support. To get that you had to install the Multimedia Extensions.
From memory that was the same upgrade that updated the version to
3.0a. For the same reason, you won't get canyon.mid in plain 3.0.

Didn't Windows 3.0 in "enhanced mode" have multimedia support without
needing to change to 3.0a?

No. You definitely need the multimedia extensions, or Windows 3.1
which included them as standard. As I said earlier, I believe the
multimedia extensions _were_ the version bump to 3.0a, but it was
a long time ago and I may be wrong there.

--
Andrew Smallshaw

Old January 22nd 09, 02:38 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computers,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
kony

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 19:40:20 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Smallshaw

On 2009-01-21, GreenXenon wrote:
On Jan 20, 8:04 am, Andrew Smallshaw wrote:

Now this is contradictory. Windows 3.0 did not include multimedia
support. To get that you had to install the Multimedia Extensions.
From memory that was the same upgrade that updated the version to
3.0a. For the same reason, you won't get canyon.mid in plain 3.0.

Didn't Windows 3.0 in "enhanced mode" have multimedia support without
needing to change to 3.0a?

No. You definitely need the multimedia extensions, or Windows 3.1
which included them as standard. As I said earlier, I believe the
multimedia extensions _were_ the version bump to 3.0a, but it was
a long time ago and I may be wrong there.

Keep in mind that Radium is just mentally masterbating,
this is not a topic pertaining to a real need or goal based
on all the other daydreams his posts have wasted peoples'
time on.

Radium's trolls are a black hole that sucks in and wastes
all resources possible, with no useful goal, and we've yet
to ever see any evidence that any of them had a fruitful
outcome. Massive waste, all because someone can't take
their medication as needed.
Old January 26th 09, 12:56 AM posted to alt.computer,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computers,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Fat Moe

GreenXenon wrote:
Hi:

http://www.redhill.net.au/b/b-93.html

From the looks of all MoBo's on that site, the "UMC 386DX-40" is
probably the best for my vintage dream PC.

My vintage dream PC contains that MoBo along with the following:

1. OS: Windows 3.0 [not 3.0a, just 3.0]

2. Sound Card: SB16 ISA [all accessories -- such as speakers --
included]

3. Most advanced graphics/video card and PC monitor [screen] that
would still be compatible with Windows 3.0 and other softwares/
hardwares in my vintage dream PC

4. NDW [Norton Desktop for Windows] with Sleeper [screensaver] and
batchrun.exe -- "Norton Desktop (Utility Suite) for Windows 3.0", I
believe.

5. Canyon.mid [midi file often present with Windows OSes] -- Windows
3.0 version if the song specifically sounds different in 3.0

6. Window Entertainment Pack [including the Idlewild screensaver]

7. Creative Lab's SB16 FM MIDI kit

8. The CD-ROM disk that contains what's described in the following
link:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.t...7ec0bb21f6d19b

9. Three ISA-card modems for the following:

A. The 1st modem is to be used similar to a phone. Perhaps to talk
over the phone via the PC. It is the most advanced ISA telephone card
that would still be compatible with Windows 3.0 and other softwares/
hardwares in my vintage dream PC

B. The 2nd modem is for dial-up internet access and uses the most
advanced ISA dial-up modem that would still be compatible with Windows
3.0 and other softwares/hardwares in my vintage dream PC

C. The 3rd modem uses the European Deaf Telephone [EDT] protocol and
can be used to communicate with the EDT devices in Switzerland. Of
course, I'm assuming this even exists for PCs. Most likely, there is
no EDT-compatible interface for PCs and even if they were, I doubt
they would work with Win 3.0. Hopefully, I'm wrong and EDT does work
with Win 3.0 and the PC hardware. Again, this should be the most
advanced ISA EDT modem that would still be compatible with Windows 3.0
and other softwares/hardwares in my vintage dream PC

10. The most advanced Netscape-based browser the would be compatible
with Win 3.0

11. "The Software Toolworks Multimedia Encyclopedia", Version 1.5,
Grolier, Inc. (1992)

All of the above should be fully-compatible with the UMC 386DX-40
motherboard.

Thanks

Packard Bell can fix you right up.
Old January 26th 09, 03:40 AM posted to alt.computer,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computers,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GreenXenon

On Jan 21, 11:40 am, Andrew Smallshaw

On 2009-01-21, GreenXenon wrote:

Didn't Windows 3.0 in "enhanced mode" have multimedia support without
needing to change to 3.0a?

No. You definitely need the multimedia extensions, or Windows 3.1
which included them as standard. As I said earlier, I believe the
multimedia extensions _were_ the version bump to 3.0a, but it was
a long time ago and I may be wrong there.

http://www.computing.net/answers/win...edia/3542.html

In the above link there is something about "Windows 3.0 Multimedia" or
"Windows with Mulimedia Extensions Version 1.0"
Old January 26th 09, 05:34 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computers,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Andrew Smallshaw

On 2009-01-26, GreenXenon wrote:

http://www.computing.net/answers/win...edia/3542.html

In the above link there is something about "Windows 3.0 Multimedia" or
"Windows with Mulimedia Extensions Version 1.0"

Which is precisely what I was referring to!

--
Andrew Smallshaw

Old January 28th 09, 01:50 AM posted to alt.computer,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computers,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GreenXenon

On 2009-01-26, GreenXenon wrote:

http://www.computing.net/answers/win...multimedia/354...

In the above link there is something about "Windows 3.0 Multimedia" or
"Windows with Mulimedia Extensions Version 1.0"

Which is precisely what I was referring to!

--
Andrew Smallshaw

Windows 3.0 Multimedia/Windows with Mulimedia Extensions Version 1.0
is not the same thing as Windows 3.0a.