My Vintage Dream PC

Old January 20th 09, 02:26 AM posted to alt.computer,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computers,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GreenXenon

Default My Vintage Dream PC

Hi:

http://www.redhill.net.au/b/b-93.html

From the looks of all MoBo's on that site, the "UMC 386DX-40" is
probably the best for my vintage dream PC.

My vintage dream PC contains that MoBo along with the following:

1. OS: Windows 3.0 [not 3.0a, just 3.0]

2. Sound Card: SB16 ISA [all accessories -- such as speakers --
included]

3. Most advanced graphics/video card and PC monitor [screen] that
would still be compatible with Windows 3.0 and other softwares/
hardwares in my vintage dream PC

4. NDW [Norton Desktop for Windows] with Sleeper [screensaver] and
batchrun.exe -- "Norton Desktop (Utility Suite) for Windows 3.0", I
believe.

5. Canyon.mid [midi file often present with Windows OSes] -- Windows
3.0 version if the song specifically sounds different in 3.0

6. Window Entertainment Pack [including the Idlewild screensaver]

7. Creative Lab's SB16 FM MIDI kit

8. The CD-ROM disk that contains what's described in the following
link:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.t...7ec0bb21f6d19b

9. Three ISA-card modems for the following:

A. The 1st modem is to be used similar to a phone. Perhaps to talk
over the phone via the PC. It is the most advanced ISA telephone card
that would still be compatible with Windows 3.0 and other softwares/
hardwares in my vintage dream PC

B. The 2nd modem is for dial-up internet access and uses the most
advanced ISA dial-up modem that would still be compatible with Windows
3.0 and other softwares/hardwares in my vintage dream PC

C. The 3rd modem uses the European Deaf Telephone [EDT] protocol and
can be used to communicate with the EDT devices in Switzerland. Of
course, I'm assuming this even exists for PCs. Most likely, there is
no EDT-compatible interface for PCs and even if they were, I doubt
they would work with Win 3.0. Hopefully, I'm wrong and EDT does work
with Win 3.0 and the PC hardware. Again, this should be the most
advanced ISA EDT modem that would still be compatible with Windows 3.0
and other softwares/hardwares in my vintage dream PC

10. The most advanced Netscape-based browser the would be compatible
with Win 3.0

11. "The Software Toolworks Multimedia Encyclopedia", Version 1.5,
Grolier, Inc. (1992)

All of the above should be fully-compatible with the UMC 386DX-40
motherboard.

Thanks
Old January 20th 09, 04:56 AM posted to alt.computer,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computers,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
kony

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 18:26:39 -0800 (PST), GreenXenon
wrote:

C. The 3rd modem uses the European Deaf Telephone [EDT] protocol and
can be used to communicate with the EDT devices in Switzerland. Of
course, I'm assuming this even exists for PCs. Most likely, there is
no EDT-compatible interface for PCs and even if they were, I doubt
they would work with Win 3.0.

Then it seems like a perfect dragon to chase, Mr Quixote.

LOL, get back on your meds Radium.
Old January 20th 09, 06:46 AM posted to alt.computer,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computers,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
The Brass Turner

"GreenXenon" wrote in message
Hi:

http://www.redhill.net.au/b/b-93.html

From the looks of all MoBo's on that site, the "UMC 386DX-40" is
[...]

thats not vintage enough..........I was clearing out my fathers garage
yesterday and found a 386(1987ish) tower. So decided to take out the HDD
before disposal. When I opened it up I just could not see the hard drive, I
looked everywhere.............and there it was right in front of my
eyes............all 300mm x 200mm x 100mm..........wow.

Old January 20th 09, 01:17 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computers,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Jan 19, 9:26 pm, GreenXenon wrote:
Hi:

http://www.redhill.net.au/b/b-93.html

From the looks of all MoBo's on that site, the "UMC 386DX-40" is

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.t...msg/a57ec0bb21...

[...]

Early memory "sticks" were early options to still extant DRAM
"critters" -- 18-pin modules, thumb-seated in banks of 9 to a row, 9th
being parity. I'm not sure that present incarnations would earlier on
have been called SIMM, either, when memory slots also first coexisted
with chipped variants. Then, the modem communications thing wouldn't
have been ISA-centric, no indeed, because everybody [that was anybody
knew] preferred a serial external modem for state of the art, usually
2400-9600 ranging USR Couriers and a few Paradyne Comspheres later on
competing with them. Standards imposed were similarly stated within
bragging rights over long-distance connects into Chinopeka, Canada, or
Bumfuk, Egypt, respective to and only during severe and most
extenuating blizzards and sandstorms. Between a MB, first Intel 386
CPUs, and memory, $900/US is within expectations. An EGA board and
monitor, another $600. The Comsphere ran $2000 and Couriers over
$1000, with lesser connects at 1200/2400BAUD apropos to masses for
$100/200. Single-speed CDs to attract massive storage offerings were
at first $1000 until parallel and SCSI offerings entered at $500. An
IDE controller could be expected included with the first MFM HDs that
superceded prohibitively priced RLLs, at around $300 for 20M,
typically for a "SeaSnake" brand.

Before that, mostly a bunch of weirdos in public coffee
establishments, with thier early Ratshack boxes programming "89
Bottles of Beer on the Wall", desperately seeking circuitous egress
into an unwary audience willing to listen to their stories about 10"
platters in boxes, and such nonsense not directly related to a
workings within NASA or NSA.
Old January 20th 09, 02:10 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computers,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

In alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt GreenXenon wrote:

10. The most advanced Netscape-based browser the would be compatible
with Win 3.0

Does that exist?

--
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Old January 20th 09, 02:50 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computers,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jon Danniken[_2_]

"The Brass Turner" wrote:
thats not vintage enough..........I was clearing out my fathers garage
yesterday and found a 386(1987ish) tower. So decided to take out the HDD
before disposal. When I opened it up I just could not see the hard drive,
I looked everywhere.............and there it was right in front of my
eyes............all 300mm x 200mm x 100mm..........wow.

I've still got a couple 8086 boxes around here somewhere.

Jon

Old January 20th 09, 03:49 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computers,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Ray

GreenXenon wrote:
Hi:

http://www.redhill.net.au/b/b-93.html

From the looks of all MoBo's on that site, the "UMC 386DX-40" is
[...]

Now where did I put that $300USD Creative Labs Multimedia kit with the
SB card and a Sony 2x CD. Oh yeah here it is....made my 386-DX40 into a
multimedia computer so I could play 7th Guest!
Old January 20th 09, 04:04 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computers,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Andrew Smallshaw

On 2009-01-20, GreenXenon wrote:

http://www.redhill.net.au/b/b-93.html

Interesting rewriting of history. The 386DX-40 was never the
"standard" chip in the manner that page describes - Intel never
bothered with such a chip at all althoug the others certainly did.
The 386SX actually had quite a reasonable life: it was a good option
for maybe five years until 486's became dominant in 1993-4.

From the looks of all MoBo's on that site, the "UMC 386DX-40" is
probably the best for my vintage dream PC.

My vintage dream PC contains that MoBo along with the following:

1. OS: Windows 3.0 [not 3.0a, just 3.0]

2. Sound Card: SB16 ISA [all accessories -- such as speakers --
included]

Now this is contradictory. Windows 3.0 did not include multimedia
support. To get that you had to install the Multimedia Extensions.
From memory that was the same upgrade that updated the version to
3.0a. For the same reason, you won't get canyon.mid in plain 3.0.

--
Andrew Smallshaw