Silent Cooling For 7800GS

Old July 31st 06, 05:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Wathil

Default Silent Cooling For 7800GS

Greetings,

I want to use this heatpipe: Zalman ZM80D-HP Video Card Heatpipe

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/...=zm80d-hp.html

on this card: e-GeForce 7800 GS 256MB AGP

http://www.evga.com/products/moreinf...5-AX&family=22

I removed the evga heatsink and fan from the card to look and see if that
heatpipe would fit and I am not sure. There seems to be an additional chip
apart from the GPU and memory that I am not sure if the heatpipe would work
on. This chip had thermal grease and was touching the main metal block. I
don't know what this chip is but I assume it needs cooling.

Has anyone actually used this heatpipe on that card and if so, is there
anything special I should know regarding attaching it?

Also does anyone know of a better heatpipe or silent cooling solution that
can be used with this particular card?

Thanks a bunch for your help

Old July 31st 06, 04:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Home Theatre Guy

The words not compatible mean anything to you !!!

Old July 31st 06, 06:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Wathil

The words not compatible mean anything to you !!! -- No Need To Yell Or
Be Sarcastic *grins*

I kind of figured that it wasn't compatible but I don't have the answers to
everything so I figured it was worth the risk of being labeled a dumbass to
ask *silly grin*

I also asked if there was anything else that could work with that card, I
don't suppose you know of anything?

You have the best day in your entire life today alright ^_^

Old July 31st 06, 07:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
EDM

"Wathil" wrote in message .net...

The words not compatible mean anything to you !!! -- No Need To Yell Or
Be Sarcastic *grins*

I kind of figured that it wasn't compatible but I don't have the answers to
everything so I figured it was worth the risk of being labeled a dumbass to
ask *silly grin*

I also asked if there was anything else that could work with that card, I
don't suppose you know of anything?

If returning the GS is an option, you should definitely do so
and get a GS+ instead. The GS+ has a completely redesigned
(and astonishingly quiet) cooling system. The card is much
faster (and far more overclockable) as well.

Old July 31st 06, 10:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

That chip is the HSI bridge, required for the PCIe-native GPU to work over
the AGP interface. It needs proper cooling. The Zalman ZM80D-HP is not
compatible, nor does it really have the heat dissipation capacity to handle
the 7800GS. A fan is definitely needed.

k.net...

Old August 1st 06, 12:19 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Wathil

So I'm stuck with a helicopter for a card *grins*

I don't play games that much...not like a "true" gamer...and that fan noise
makes me see elephants when I am doing research and reading on the internet.

When I do play games of course I need the power, so I guess I'm screwed
*hangs head down shaking it side to side*

There has to be a silent way to keep this card cool. I have a Gainward
GeForce 4 4800Ti that I ran with no fan or heatsink *long story how that
happened* for over 3 years playing games and the like with never a problem.
I think these cards can take more then we give them credit for.

And BTW that says something about Gainward cards, they are very well made. I
still have that card BTW works fine just doesn't have the power to run the
upcoming Neverwinter Nights 2.

Anyway, thanks for your input at least I learned what the little chip
thingie is anyway ^_^

Old August 1st 06, 02:31 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Ray

Head over to http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewforum.php?f=19 and ask
the kind chaps over there.

Ray

ink.net...

Old August 1st 06, 03:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

"Wathil" wrote in message
ink.net...
So I'm stuck with a helicopter for a card *grins*

That has more truth to it then you think. I think it's common knowledge that
a Vantec Tornado should not be plugged in while it's lying on its side, lest
it fly off the table.

I don't play games that much...not like a "true" gamer...and that fan
noise makes me see elephants when I am doing research and reading on the
internet.

I don't think you'll be able to find aftermarket coolers for the 7800GS at
all, fanned or fanless. Same story with the 6600GT AGP. The HSI bridge gets
in the way.

And BTW that says something about Gainward cards, they are very well made.
I still have that card BTW works fine just doesn't have the power to run
the upcoming Neverwinter Nights 2.

So, like EDM suggested, head over to http://www.overclockers.co.uk/ and get
the Gainward 7800GS+. It uses the 24-pipeline 7900GT core, and has a
whisper-quiet Arctic Cooling fan/sink as standard equipment. It'll run you
about $450, though.

Old August 1st 06, 05:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Wathil

*Slowly lifts head up as the realization of the situation sinks in* That HSI
bridge is the villain!! Phone the authorities!!

Ok, my take on the information given is that most (all) of the heatpipes are
made for either PCI-E or AGP but not the AGP/PCI-E bridge cards i.e. the HSI

*Goes into a colorful language filled fit focused on the HSI*

I'm already way over budget on this upgrade as it is, maybe I should remove
the fan and the heatsink then play Icewind Dale in a freezer room with the
temperature at 0c. Now THAT'S realism *crazy silly grin*

Anyway, thanks for your help ^_^

"First of One" wrote in message
ink.net...