7NNXP/Sata - Waiting for Explorer to display

Old February 3rd 04, 11:52 AM
Pudn

Default 7NNXP/Sata - Waiting for Explorer to display

There may be something I've missed somewhere. My system appears to work ok:
boots up very quickly, applications appear to be ok too I built this
machine about a month ago and its now starting to annoy me!

My problem is that when using Windows Explorer and browsing around it takes
a long long time to display the contents of drives and folders. This can be
minutes.

All NTFS Drives are Compressed by the operating system and the Indexing
Service is also enabled on all NTFS partitions.

My system is:

Board: 7NNXP
Memory: Kingston KHX3500K2/1G - 1Gb PC3500 CL2 DIMM Kit (2 x 512 Mb) -
Dual channel enabled
O/S: Windows XP Pro - fully patched
HDD's: 2 x Maxtor 160 Gb SATA drives

The two SATA drives are partitoned as follows:

Disk 0
Drive C - 10Gb NTFS Pri
Data - 60Gb NTFS Pri
Data - 60Gb NTFS Pri
Data - 10Gb FAT32 Log
16 Gb Free Space in extended partition

Disk 1
Programs Drive - 20Gb NTFS Pri
Data - 39Gb NTFS Pri
Data - 49Gb NTFS Pri
Unallocated - 45Gb

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where the problem may be
and how to resolve it.

Many thanks

Old February 4th 04, 12:18 AM
Jim Schuster

Pudn wrote:

All NTFS Drives are Compressed by the operating system

Your problem is right there.
Old February 4th 04, 01:13 PM
Boudewijn

Hello,

"All NTFS Drives are Compressed by the operating system"

You seem to have plenty of storage space. Why compress?
Get rid of it, and at least your computer problem is solved!

Good luck
Boudewijn

Old February 5th 04, 08:40 AM
Pudn