SMART data

Old January 25th 05, 04:35 AM
Bob Davis

Default SMART data

Does any software report SMART data from two SATA drives in a RAID0 array?
Is this even possible?

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-8KNXP
Drives: 36gb x 2 Raptor
Controller: On-chip ICH5R

--

To reply, nix "nix" in address.

Old January 25th 05, 03:45 PM
Arno Wagner

Previously Bob Davis wrote:
Does any software report SMART data from two SATA drives in a RAID0 array?
Is this even possible?

Software-RAID: trivial, any SMART software that can do SATA
should be able to do it (unless it is a really dumb design).

Hardware-raid: Only doable via the manufacturers software.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-8KNXP
Drives: 36gb x 2 Raptor
Controller: On-chip ICH5R

Fake-raid (what you have): Under Linux the smartmontools should
do it as soon as Linux gets SATA-smart support. No idea about other
OSes.

Arno

Old January 25th 05, 08:58 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"Arno Wagner" wrote in message
Previously Bob Davis wrote:
Does any software report SMART data from two SATA drives in a RAID0 array?
Is this even possible?

Software-RAID: trivial,

any SMART software that can do SATA

Clueless.

should be able to do it

(unless it is a really dumb design).

Like not having the necessary driver support?

Hardware-raid: Only doable via the manufacturers software.

Must be falling under that "really dumb" class then.
Again clueless.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-8KNXP
Drives: 36gb x 2 Raptor
Controller: On-chip ICH5R

Fake-raid (what you have):

Clueless again.

Under Linux the smartmontools should do it as soon as Linux gets
SATA-smart support.

No idea about other OSes.

Like I said, utterly clueless.

Arno

Old January 25th 05, 09:00 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"Bob Davis" wrote in message news:F0kJd.371$1X.90@lakeread07
Does any software report SMART data from two SATA drives in a RAID0 array?

That would be
"Can any software report SMART data from two SATA drives in a RAID0 array?"

Is this even possible?

And the answer would be
"It is possible if the driver supports passing through S.M.A.R.T. data".
(Or has the hookup points to a driver extension that does same).

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-8KNXP
Drives: 36gb x 2 Raptor
Controller: On-chip ICH5R

Old January 28th 05, 04:05 AM
Bob Davis

Previously Bob Davis wrote:
Does any software report SMART data from two SATA drives in a RAID0
array?
Is this even possible?

Software-RAID: trivial, any SMART software that can do SATA
should be able to do it (unless it is a really dumb design).

Hardware-raid: Only doable via the manufacturers software.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-8KNXP
Drives: 36gb x 2 Raptor
Controller: On-chip ICH5R

Fake-raid (what you have): Under Linux the smartmontools should
do it as soon as Linux gets SATA-smart support. No idea about other
OSes.

I would categorize my particular type of RAID as "hardware." I'm not sure
what you mean by "fake RAID." I run XP, not Linux.

Old January 28th 05, 04:06 AM
Bob Davis

"Folkert Rienstra" wrote in message
"Bob Davis" wrote in message
Does any software report SMART data from two SATA drives in a RAID0
array?

That would be
"Can any software report SMART data from two SATA drives in a RAID0
array?"

Is this even possible?

And the answer would be
"It is possible if the driver supports passing through S.M.A.R.T. data".
(Or has the hookup points to a driver extension that does same).

I guess Intel hasn't gotten around to this functionality yet.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-8KNXP
Drives: 36gb x 2 Raptor
Controller: On-chip ICH5R

Old January 28th 05, 09:55 AM
Arno Wagner

Previously Bob Davis wrote:
Does any software report SMART data from two SATA drives in a RAID0
array?
Is this even possible?

Software-RAID: trivial, any SMART software that can do SATA
should be able to do it (unless it is a really dumb design).

Hardware-raid: Only doable via the manufacturers software.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-8KNXP
Drives: 36gb x 2 Raptor
Controller: On-chip ICH5R

Fake-raid (what you have): Under Linux the smartmontools should
do it as soon as Linux gets SATA-smart support. No idea about other
OSes.

I would categorize my particular type of RAID as "hardware." I'm not sure
what you mean by "fake RAID." I run XP, not Linux.

"fakeraid" is software RAID with hardware support. That is what you
have. True hardware RAID does all the work on the card.

See he http://www.linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardwa....html#fakeraid

In a sense software-RAID is also "fakeraid". The idea is that
the OS still sees individual disks, i.e. it is not an "array"
in hardware. One other problem with fakeraid is that is usually
cannot be accessed with different OSes. That issue does not exist
with true RAID, since all management information is hidden
from the OS by the controller.

The vendors just like to call their hardware supported software
RAID "hardware RAID", since it sounds better. But essentially it
is a marketing lie.

Arno

Be a Smart Worker - Projects Available - Data Entry Data Network Forum Storage & Hardrives 0 November 13th 04 06:31 AM
Bogus Maxtor HDD Temperature Reports Dennise Storage (alternative) 9 October 21st 04 09:31 PM
Critical errors? ATA Error Count Al Bogner Storage (alternative) 0 June 13th 04 12:14 PM
smart data JBM Asus Motherboards 2 June 9th 04 12:18 AM
Athlon 4 XP-M 2400+ ? A. J. Moss General 89 August 28th 03 02:53 PM