Limit to processor speed?

Old August 20th 03, 03:53 PM
ZITBoy

Default Limit to processor speed?

Isn't there a limit to processor speed?
I mean they cant simply go on bringing ever faster processors ?

There should be some theoritical limit to it. what is that?

Old August 20th 03, 03:55 PM
ToolPackinMama

ZITBoy wrote:

Isn't there a limit to processor speed?
I mean they cant simply go on bringing ever faster processors ?

There should be some theoritical limit to it. what is that?

LOL
Old August 20th 03, 04:17 PM
Firebird81

Only a limit to current technology. You should see some of the tech they are
working on tho. Some amazing stuff. Hopefully, the race for mhz will start
to dwindle and true performance increases will prevail. AMD has been trying
this for a couple of years and showing quite successfully the flaw of the
megahertz myth. I would like to see Intel follow suit.

Old August 20th 03, 04:24 PM
Mark F.

ZITBoy wrote in message
Isn't there a limit to processor speed?
I mean they cant simply go on bringing ever faster processors ?

There should be some theoritical limit to it. what is that?

186,000 miles per second?

Old August 20th 03, 04:50 PM
Ben Pope

ZITBoy wrote:
Isn't there a limit to processor speed?

Not as such. Depends if you mean speed of crunching numbers or clock speed.

I mean they cant simply go on bringing ever faster processors ?

Why?

There should be some theoritical limit to it. what is that?

Why should there be?

There are certainly limits on the current lithographic type process used to
manufacture silicon chips in relation to feature size. AMD and IBM are
talking of 65nm fabs - half the feature size of current XPs. That'll come
after the 90nm fab due to be working at the end of the year (I think thats
current info).

But you can always do something different, think about it in an alternative
way and maybe make gains there.

Ben
--
I'm not just a number. To many, I;m known as a String...

Old August 20th 03, 07:07 PM
mcheu

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 15:24:58 GMT, "Mark F." wrote::

ZITBoy wrote in message
Isn't there a limit to processor speed?
I mean they cant simply go on bringing ever faster processors ?

There should be some theoritical limit to it. what is that?

186,000 miles per second?

It's actually 186,355 miles per second
(http://www.phys.virginia.edu/classes.../spedlite.html)

and in theory, you might be able to "cheat" and get around that speed
limit too depending on which physicists and theories you want to
reference.

Thanks,

MCheu
Old August 20th 03, 07:50 PM
Squeller27

There are certainly limits on the current lithographic type process used
manufacture silicon chips in relation to feature size. AMD and IBM are
talking of 65nm fabs - half the feature size of current XPs. That'll come
after the 90nm fab due to be working at the end of the year (I think thats
current info).

But you can always do something different, think about it in an

alternative
way and maybe make gains there.

I'm convinced that computer systems will get faster and faster, at least
within the next 20 years. Because one could always start to use processors
in parallel once we reach the theoritical limit. However, this will
introduce some overhead, so 2 processors won't be 2 times faster than 1
processor. And that means imho that there is ultimately a limit to speed.

Erik

Old August 20th 03, 10:28 PM
Martin Whittaker

Wasn't there rumors a couple years ago of a European company trying to
produce a slower MHz cpu with a very wide data/address bus. Something like
1024 bits wide?? The idea was their cpu would do as much or more work per
cycle than faster & narrower bussed cpu's.

Martin