Temporary Internet Files limit

Old October 15th 03, 02:15 AM
HistoryFan

Default Temporary Internet Files limit

I'm using a Dell 2400 with XP Home SP1. IE 6 SP1 is my web browser
and Road Runner is my ISP.

I have noticed that my web browser starts to slow down if my temporary
internet files (TIF's) exceed 25MB or so. I had the limit set at 50MB.
Deleting the TIF's usually perks IE up again. Two quick questions:

1) Does this happen to the rest of you?
2) What TIF limit do you have on your computers? I just lowered
mine to 20MB in the hope that would prevent the browser from getting bogged
down after heavy Internet use.

Old October 15th 03, 03:15 AM
Tom Almy

The size to use depends on the type of sites you visit (news sites with
constantly changing content don't benefit at all from a cache, while
sites with unchanging content you visit often will benefit.) I've got
mine set to 5MB. Just keep reducing the value and see what happens. You
aren't going to break anything!

Old October 16th 03, 06:03 AM
Michael

mines set to 80mb
Old October 16th 03, 03:32 PM
RFox

"HistoryFan" wrote in message .. .
I'm using a Dell 2400 with XP Home SP1. IE 6 SP1 is my web browser
and Road Runner is my ISP.

I have noticed that my web browser starts to slow down if my temporary
internet files (TIF's) exceed 25MB or so. I had the limit set at 50MB.
Deleting the TIF's usually perks IE up again. Two quick questions:

1) Does this happen to the rest of you?
2) What TIF limit do you have on your computers? I just lowered
mine to 20MB in the hope that would prevent the browser from getting bogged
down after heavy Internet use.

Mine's set to 1000 MB, but then I've got over 50GB of free space.

Performance isn't dependent on just the browser cashe size but
the ratio of that to how much free disk space you have left.

I wouldn't feel comfortable with less than 1 GB of free space
because of all the temp files Windows and its applications use up,
and that's on the low end already, especially if you do a lot
of web surfing. I'd like to give myself at least 5 GB free.

Try emptying out your browser cache more often.
Clean out your HD, defragment, delete abandoned Windows
temp files, etc.