Nvidia 6600 256MB or 6600GT 128MB?

Old October 10th 04, 09:39 PM
Jeff

Default Nvidia 6600 256MB or 6600GT 128MB?

I'm looking to build a new machine and have decided to go PCI Express
instead of AGP.
Based on the limited information I've been able to find, it looks like the
higher end 6600
cards come non-GT with 256MB or GT with 128MB. If there was a GT with 256MB
I would buy that, but since I don't seem to find anything like that, I'm
wondering which
would be the better choice?

My gaming habits will tend toward FPS like DOOM3 and Half-Life 2 and other
titles
like Warcraft. Will the extra speed of the GT be more important than the
extra RAM,
or would it be better to have the lower clocks and more RAM?

Thanks,

Jeff

Old October 11th 04, 07:42 AM
The DragunLadee

Jeff wrote:
I'm looking to build a new machine and have decided to go PCI Express
instead of AGP.
Based on the limited information I've been able to find, it looks like the
higher end 6600
cards come non-GT with 256MB or GT with 128MB. If there was a GT with 256MB
I would buy that, but since I don't seem to find anything like that, I'm
wondering which
would be the better choice?

My gaming habits will tend toward FPS like DOOM3 and Half-Life 2 and other
titles
like Warcraft. Will the extra speed of the GT be more important than the
extra RAM,
or would it be better to have the lower clocks and more RAM?

Thanks,

Jeff

There aren't any games out right now that actually require the 256mb
cards, so if I were you, I'd go for the faster of the two cards, rather
than more vram.
Old October 11th 04, 09:49 AM
Jeff

"The DragunLadee" wrote in message
Jeff wrote:
[...]

Here's another thought - what about getting the 256MB card and overclocking?
Are GT speeds
attainable with a non-GT card? Best of both worlds?

Old October 11th 04, 01:12 PM
Bronney Hui

No Jeff,

The 6600 vanilla comes only with POS DDR RAM. GT comes with DDR3. Another
thought would be to clock the GT even higher.

If I were you I'd get the GT. I think only Doom 3 can use up to 512MB VRAM
for now. HL2 would be fine with 128MB.

"Jeff" ¦b¶l¥ó news:EOrad.105895$He1.76679@attbi_s01 ¤¤¼¶
¼g...

Old October 11th 04, 03:19 PM
Lachoneus

Here's another thought - what about getting the 256MB card and overclocking?
Are GT speeds
attainable with a non-GT card? Best of both worlds?

Probably not. The GT has 1GHz DDR3, and the non-GT has 550MHz DDR.
It might as well be called the 6600MX.
Old October 11th 04, 06:14 PM
Bronney Hui

Good Call man 6600MX lmao! Right ON!