Nvidia 6800 gt artifacting problems

Old October 5th 04, 09:51 AM
jahindie

Default Nvidia 6800 gt artifacting problems

Ok here is the deal. I have a Nvidia 6800 GT. Most of the time it is
overclocked. I would say at 380/100. Standard is 350/100 which is not
much. So lately while playing recent video games such as call of duty,
doom 3, CS:CZ. I've been getting some really weird graphical issues.
Little specs of artifacting. Little to much at one time. I have
recently uploaded the hell that is SP2 for XP. I am wondering what I
can do to fix things. Here are my specs

P4 3.0 Ghz
1gig DDR-ram
asus p4p800-E
2 HD
1 DVD+/- burner
1 DVD-Rom

1)Now here is what I think. Does Nvidia need to update the drivers
because of the effects of SP2 with my card. 2) So i need a more
powerful power supply. I have a 350W right now which from looking
online is just not enough. 3)Do I need to buy that Arctic Cooling VGA
Cooler Model "NV silencer 5" to replace the **** fan that is one the
6800 GT right now. 4)Lastly I am getting weird power surges from my
house. and being the stupid person that I am right now. I do not have
a proper power supply to combat the surges. Which I am sure may
account for something. Any info or webpages would be of great help in
dealing with these issues. It's just annoying when you drop 400+ plus
for these things and it's starting to biff on you. By the way it's
only 2 months old. I have the latest drivers for everything. Did I
mention that I think SP2 is a sick joke from Microsoft!

thanks again

Old October 5th 04, 10:53 AM
Mal

"jahindie" wrote in message
om...
[...]

do you still get the artifacts & graphical issues if you run the card at
it's normal clock rate?

The minimum psu you can get away with for a 6800GT is 300w ... but a lot
depends on the quality of the psu of course

Review of the BFG 6800GT @ HardOCP
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjM3

"The minimum power requirement for the BFGTech GeForce 6800GT is a 300W
power supply"

Graphical errors on screen usually point to a problem with the video ram
either faulty or trying to run over spec. (heat and/or timing issues) ...
the power surges in your house could be causing or just adding to the
problem depending on how bad they are and the quality of your psu, the best
way to get around this would be to buy a ups ... small single machine
versions are available for around £60 upwards ... plus you have the added
benefit that if the power fails completely then your machine will shut down
gracefully while running on battery backup.

http://www.apcc.com/resource/include...se_sku=BK350EI

of course APC aren't the only company that make UPS but I have always found
their customer support to be excellent

hope all that was of some use to you

Mal

Old October 5th 04, 12:15 PM
Chip

"jahindie" wrote in message
om...
Ok here is the deal. I have a Nvidia 6800 GT. Most of the time it is
overclocked. I would say at 380/100. Standard is 350/100 which is not
much. So lately while playing recent video games such as call of duty,
doom 3, CS:CZ. I've been getting some really weird graphical issues.
Little specs of artifacting. Little to much at one time. I have
recently uploaded the hell that is SP2 for XP. I am wondering what I
can do to fix things. Here are my specs

"Little specs" are nearly always video memory errors. I think this is
occurring because the voltage supply to the memory is sagging, and this is
happening because at 380MHz, the GPU is drawing more current and pulling the
Vdimm voltage down a little.

300w is the recommended spec for a 6800GT, but *only* if you are not going
to overclock it. If you plan to increase the speed, then the power supply
requirements go up. Since you have a 350w PSU, I would say that is the most
likely cause of the problem.

You could try a VGA Silencer, but its really the wrong solution. You are
not overclocking your ram, so you shouldn't have to change the heatsink just
to get the ram to work at stock speeds. The ram is failing because of power
issues, not heat issues.

Chip

Old October 5th 04, 02:40 PM
PurSpyk!!

Hi

I don't believe it is the power supply.

I have a generic psu that came with my case rated at 300w, my GeForce 6800
GT (LeadTek) is overclocked to 420, 1150 on stock cooling.

I have a P4 3.4, 1MB RAM, 2 western digital hard drivers, USB scanner (gets
power through USB cable), DVD rom, CD writer, 19" monitor.

I have no problems running Far Cry or Doom 3 all at max settings. The card
does get quite hot though, Summer has just started here in Cape Town, South
Africa.

"Chip" wrote in message
om...

Old October 5th 04, 05:14 PM
Chip

"PurSpyk!!" wrote in message
Hi

I don't believe it is the power supply.

I have a generic psu that came with my case rated at 300w, my GeForce 6800
GT (LeadTek) is overclocked to 420, 1150 on stock cooling.

Yes, but you don't have *his* power supply.

You need a good quality PSU (or a very powerful "cheap" one). And many "so
called" 300w or 350w PSU's can output nowhere near that amount.

Chip

Old October 5th 04, 05:19 PM
CapFusion

"PurSpyk!!" wrote in message
Hi

I don't believe it is the power supply.

I have a generic psu that came with my case rated at 300w, my GeForce 6800
GT (LeadTek) is overclocked to 420, 1150 on stock cooling.

I have a P4 3.4, 1MB RAM, 2 western digital hard drivers, USB scanner
(gets
power through USB cable), DVD rom, CD writer, 19" monitor.

I have no problems running Far Cry or Doom 3 all at max settings. The card
does get quite hot though, Summer has just started here in Cape Town,
South
Africa.

Sir, your 300W PSU maybe working fine and handling your PC requirement. But
can you really say for sure of his 350W can handle the way your 300W PSU
handle your PC?

The only way to find out if he try to narrow the source of the cause.

CapFusion,...

Old October 6th 04, 01:29 AM
Brenden D. Chase

1)Now here is what I think. Does Nvidia need to update the drivers
because of the effects of SP2 with my card.

What effect did SP2 have on your card??? I've updated to it and dont
notice any difference in my card, i've got BFG 6800 GT OC

2) So i need a more
powerful power supply. I have a 350W right now which from looking
online is just not enough.

350 is probably not enough

3)Do I need to buy that Arctic Cooling VGA
Cooler Model "NV silencer 5" to replace the **** fan that is one the
6800 GT right now.

maybe you should have bought that before you decided to overclock it??

4)Lastly I am getting weird power surges from my
house. and being the stupid person that I am right now. I do not have
a proper power supply to combat the surges. Which I am sure may
account for something. Any info or webpages would be of great help in
dealing with these issues. It's just annoying when you drop 400+ plus
for these things and it's starting to biff on you. By the way it's
only 2 months old. I have the latest drivers for everything. Did I
mention that I think SP2 is a sick joke from Microsoft!

thanks again

You should have spent the money on a surge protector... which by the way
i dont think powersupplies surge protect on there own, but i welcome
anyone who can inform me on that.

I dont know what your problems are with SP2, but i dont have any.

--Brenden

Old October 6th 04, 01:31 AM
Brenden D. Chase

http://www.apcc.com/resource/include...se_sku=BK350EI

of course APC aren't the only company that make UPS but I have always found
their customer support to be excellent

hope all that was of some use to you

Mal

I believe APC is the originator of the battery backup... based out of
my home state.

Old October 6th 04, 01:33 AM
@ndrew

Brenden D. Chase wrote:

With all these people saying its your power supply, here is an easy
test... unplug everything except what you need to boot up your
computer and play a game (ie harddisk, mouse, keyboard, monitor,
CD/DVD drive) Then start up the game... if you get the same problem
while sucking less juice from the PSU then you know its not the PSU.

Much easier to go he

http://tinyurl.com/24zoz

regards

@ndrew
Old October 6th 04, 01:34 AM
Brenden D. Chase

Chip wrote:
"PurSpyk!!" wrote in message

Hi

I don't believe it is the power supply.

I have a generic psu that came with my case rated at 300w, my GeForce 6800
GT (LeadTek) is overclocked to 420, 1150 on stock cooling.

Yes, but you don't have *his* power supply.

You need a good quality PSU (or a very powerful "cheap" one). And many "so
called" 300w or 350w PSU's can output nowhere near that amount.

Chip

and always remember the hotter the PSU gets the less power its producing