What's the best AGP bios configuration?

Old September 21st 04, 03:31 PM
GLYTCH

Vinicio Ascone wrote:
Hi all, I'm not really into agp specs and I need some help.

I've got a Ti4280(128mb - 8x) card, ok?
It is true that the games run slower if I set the card at 8x than 4x?
why is that?

Now about the AGP aperture size, I hear it's good set it at half of
current system memory. I have 768mb, so I put it at 512mb (rather
than 256mb). What's the best setting? and why?

Think only for gaming, ok? games, games and more games!

Thanks,
Vinicio

Leave the AGP setting at the highest available. The speed difference between
4x and 8x is negligable when actually playing games, but 8x is slightly
faster. You will see your benchmarking programs get higher results for
bandwidth etc with 8x than 4x.

As for arpeture size. Set it to the same amout as the amount of memory on
your card, UNLESS this value is greater than 1/4 of your RAM, in which case
set it to 1/4 of your RAM. Thats the rule ive know, how much difference it
makes these days with cards with 256meg of onboard memory i dont know.

I have a Ti4200 (128MB 8x AGP) and 1GB of dual channel DDR400, i set my
arpeture to 128.

Matt

--
The poster previously known as PYRO-Maniak
Gamertag: GLY7CH

Old September 21st 04, 07:23 PM
Lee

imo over 128mb agp aperture size you will not see any performance difference
what so ever I was always go with if graphics card is 128mb and system ram
is 512mb or greater set agp aperture size to 128mb.

:
:I've got a Ti4280(128mb - 8x) card, ok?
:It is true that the games run slower if I set the card at 8x than 4x? why is
:that?
:
:Now about the AGP aperture size, I hear it's good set it at half of current
:system memory. I have 768mb, so I put it at 512mb (rather than 256mb).
:What's the best setting? and why?
:
:Think only for gaming, ok? games, games and more games!
:
:Thanks,
:Vinicio
:

-----
Lee.
Old September 21st 04, 11:56 PM
PRIVATE1964

I've got a Ti4280(128mb - 8x) card, ok?
It is true that the games run slower if I set the card at 8x than 4x? why is
that?

That shouldn't be true. It should run "slightly" faster at 8X then 4X. It
doesn't seem to be always the case though. On my system my 8X card runs faster
then 4X with benchmarks. It probably just means my motherboard by design
focused more on 4X. 8X was just starting to be the norm when I bought my
motherboard.

Now about the AGP aperture size, I hear it's good set it at half of current
system memory. I have 768mb, so I put it at 512mb (rather than 256mb).
What's the best setting? and why?

No that's not true anymore. It might have been OK when video cards only had 16
or 32 megs. With todays video cards that have 128, 255 or I think even 512 now
there is not much need for system memory to be used. So with your 128 card, a
setting of 128 or even 64 would be fine. System memory is slower then video
memory so you really wouldn't want to use it unless absolutely necessary. Your
always better with having actual video memory.

That's why with games they will tell you not to use certain settings unless you
have a certain amount of video memory. They never even mention the aperture
size. Probably because it wouldn't help all that much no matter what size you
set it to because the video memory is faster and the aperture is very rarely
used..

So set it to 128 or 64 and forget about it. There is really no difference is
speed with any amount so I set mine to 64.
Old September 22nd 04, 12:01 AM
PRIVATE1964

You will see your benchmarking programs get higher results for
bandwidth etc with 8x than 4x

That should be true, but with my NF7-S it's not. My 4200 gets better scores
running at 4X.

I have a Ti4200 (128MB 8x AGP) and 1GB of dual channel DDR400, i set my
arpeture to 128.

Yeah it doesn't seem to matter what you set it to with todays cards. I just run
mine at 64.
Old September 22nd 04, 06:45 AM
Tod

Do not set AGP aperture size smaller then 32MB, it causes problems.
As long as you have lots of memory on the graphics card itself, aperture
size makes very little difference.
Setting at 64MB or 128MB should be enough.

Old September 22nd 04, 02:37 PM
PRIVATE1964

So, about the AGP 4x-8x, the theory is that 8x runs faster than 4x?

It should be faster in theory. If it's not implemented correctly on the
motherboard or video card it probably won't be though like in my case.

You also have to keep in mind that just because you have 8X does not mean it is
being used like with todays games. The bandwith is there but there is nothing
there to stress it.

Lets say you had an 8 lane highway and a 4 lane highway both going to the same
location. Would a single car get to that location faster using the 8 lane
highway or the 4 lane highway? See it wouldn't matter.

I will run some bench today at home with a program call Sandra something (a
friend told me was a good program to test hard), does anyone know it? it's
good enough?

For graphics testing you should try 3Dmark2001 or 3Dmark 2003. You could also
try running a few newer games and check out the framerate.

Sandra is good for general testing and for system information. I use it but not
for graphics testing.

About the aperture size, it's cool, I understand now, I will try 128mb

That's a good enough setting.

Old September 22nd 04, 02:51 PM
Vinicio Ascone

So, about the AGP 4x-8x, the theory is that 8x runs faster than 4x?
(obviously, thinking that the card and the mother supports the settings).

Why it's not your case? (Private1964) that's because the
"living-continual-mysteries" of PC hardware? (I know nothing seems to be
in hardware until you see it or test it)

Old September 22nd 04, 06:59 PM
CapFusion

"John" wrote in message

But the 4 lane highway would be prone to traffic jams whereas the 8 lane
with the same amount of cars would be freeflowing....so the 4 lane would
be
bottlenecked

Not with one /single car as PRIVATE1964 indicated. Or unless that single car
have a width of eight lane size.

CapFusion,...

Old September 22nd 04, 08:58 PM
PRIVATE1964

But the 4 lane highway would be prone to traffic jams whereas the 8 lane
with the same amount of cars would be freeflowing....so the 4 lane would be
bottlenecked

No that's why I said a "single car". The car is the data and having a 4 lane
lane highway is plenty for that car to get from point A to point B. If there
were over 4 cars then the 8 lane highway would make a difference.