Got a new eVGA 6800GT

Old August 13th 04, 10:53 PM
James_

Default Got a new eVGA 6800GT

Hello,

Once again, I own a nVidia card again. The first thing I notice is that the
fonts in windows XP are a lot more jagged than they were with the ATI card.
I switched the smooth fonts to ClearFont, and that helped some. It still
doesn't look quite right though. Anyone have some helpful suggestions for
better fonts in XP with a 6800GT card?

Old August 14th 04, 03:48 AM
Gary

What is your refresh rate? I had ghosting and distortion with anything
higher than 60 Hz in the fonts in 2D. I e-mailed eVGA tech support about
this and they said :
The reply to your support request to eVGA.com is as follows:

Hi Garrett,

You are only allowed to have the refresh rate at 60 Hz. There is nothing
wrong with the video card.

eVGA.com Customer Service

Great card in games though and, let's face it, that's why we bought it.

Old August 14th 04, 04:00 AM
Larry L.

this and they said :
The reply to your support request to eVGA.com is as follows:

Hi Garrett,

You are only allowed to have the refresh rate at 60 Hz. There is nothing
wrong with the video card.

eVGA.com Customer Service

Great card in games though and, let's face it, that's why we bought it.

What resolution were you running? That response is utterly absurd. The
evga 6800GT card is capable of 150Hz at 1280x1024 32bit -- the only
resolution where it's limited to 60Hz is 2048x1536 32bit, but I don't
imagine you were running it this high, correct?

Larry

Old August 14th 04, 10:16 PM
James_

this and they said :
The reply to your support request to eVGA.com is as follows:

Hi Garrett,

You are only allowed to have the refresh rate at 60 Hz. There is nothing
wrong with the video card.

eVGA.com Customer Service

Great card in games though and, let's face it, that's why we bought it.

What resolution were you running? That response is utterly absurd. The
evga 6800GT card is capable of 150Hz at 1280x1024 32bit -- the only
resolution where it's limited to 60Hz is 2048x1536 32bit, but I don't
imagine you were running it this high, correct?

Larry

I am running at 60 Hz - 1280x1024 on LCD monitor. I didn't think that refresh rate matters when
using LCD and DVI connector.

Old August 15th 04, 02:52 AM
GTX_SlotCar

Try different drivers. The 62.20 and 65.62 give me better 2D.

Gary

--

Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com

Old August 15th 04, 08:37 PM
First of One

There's an option in Windows Display Properties - Appearance, where you can
smooth the edges of screen fonts. Not to insult your intelligence, but do
you have it enabled?

Old August 16th 04, 03:15 AM
James_

"First of One" wrote in message
gers.com...
There's an option in Windows Display Properties - Appearance, where you can
smooth the edges of screen fonts. Not to insult your intelligence, but do
you have it enabled?

Yea, I switched it from "Standard" to "ClearFont" which helped some. Letters like 'W' and 'A' look
like they need anti-aliasing on Standard, but not ClearFont. With ClearFont, bold chars look pretty
fuzzy.

Old August 16th 04, 03:31 AM
ccs

this and they said :
The reply to your support request to eVGA.com is as follows:

Hi Garrett,

You are only allowed to have the refresh rate at 60 Hz. There is nothing
wrong with the video card.

eVGA.com Customer Service

Great card in games though and, let's face it, that's why we bought it.

What resolution were you running? That response is utterly absurd. The
evga 6800GT card is capable of 150Hz at 1280x1024 32bit -- the only
resolution where it's limited to 60Hz is 2048x1536 32bit, but I don't
imagine you were running it this high, correct?

Larry

My BFG can run my monitors max of 85Hz at 2048x1536x32

Old August 16th 04, 07:08 PM
Chip

this and they said :
The reply to your support request to eVGA.com is as follows:

Hi Garrett,

You are only allowed to have the refresh rate at 60 Hz. There is

nothing
wrong with the video card.

eVGA.com Customer Service

Great card in games though and, let's face it, that's why we bought

it.

What resolution were you running? That response is utterly absurd. The
evga 6800GT card is capable of 150Hz at 1280x1024 32bit -- the only
resolution where it's limited to 60Hz is 2048x1536 32bit, but I don't
imagine you were running it this high, correct?

Larry

I am running at 60 Hz - 1280x1024 on LCD monitor. I didn't think that

refresh rate matters when
using LCD and DVI connector.

You're right, it doesn't matter. (Actually, it doesn't matter with a VGA
connector either. DVI has got nothing to do with it.)

The basic issue is this, CRT images are made up by an electron beam whizzing
across the screen (As you know). The phoshpor is lit up *only* when the
electron beam is pointing at it. After that the phosphor glows, but the
glow starts to reduce. If you did 1 "pass" of the electron beam across the
screen, 10ms later the screen would be black.

Contrast LCD's. They don't work like that. The array of pixels have
backlight and each pixel is either ON or OFF. Do a single "pass" (actually
display a single frame) as above and 1 hour afterwards, you would still have
the image on the screen. You could run at 1 Hz and you still wouldn't get
any screen flicker.

Chip.