Win2k Installation on 8KNXP Rev. 2; experience and issues..

Old January 21st 04, 08:33 PM
Chris Garrity

Default Win2k Installation on 8KNXP Rev. 2; experience and issues..

Included at the end of this post is my setup. I have Windows 2000 SP4 up
and running, but am experiencing problems and hope to gain some insight
from the group. Problems include: BIOS screen, OS not loading, and
the "blue screen blues." Details are as follows.

Note: I currently get past these issues by rebooting; reboot, reboot,
reboot, reboot until everything OK.

Concerning the BIOS. When I attempt to enter the BIOS setup, I
routinely get; a completely blank screen that fails to respond to
ALT-CTRL-DEL, or a partially drawn screen that will respond to
ALT-CTRL-DEL, or a correctly drawn setup screen that displays incorrect
sub-menus, or a properly drawn setup screen with correct sub menus that
will not "Save Settings and Exit." Problems occur with and without the
DPS2 card..

Concerning the OS not loading. During boot, the OS load stops and
messages indicating that "ntoskrnl.exe" and "ntfs.sys" are displayed
saying that these files are either missing or corrupt. At this point, I
reboot repeatedly until the OS finally loads (usually takes 3 to 6
attempts).

Concerning the "blue screen blues." DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL,
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED,
NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS, and miscellany driver
faults that do not indicate a specific problem under WinDbg. These
problem occur during boot and also after things have been up and running
for a while.

Both BIOS (main, backup) are the latest version (FG). I have tried
running both with and without the DPS2 card.

I have Win2000 SP4 installed on a ITE IT8212 RAID0+1 array across four
drives (IDE3, IDE4). I have 2 SATA drives as a RAID0 on the Intel(R)
82801ER SATA RAID controller.

I installed the latest (10/1/2003, Ver 1.5.1.7) "ITE IT8212 ATA RAID
Controller" driver, but the "Disk drives" driver "ITE Disk Array 0 SCSI
Disk Device" in the Device Manager shows a much older date and version
(11/14/1999, Ver 5.0.2183.1). I wonder if this difference is an issue.

Stay tuned..

+---- Setup ----+
Microsoft Windows 2000 (5.00.21.95) w/ SP4
Enermax EG651P-24 550W W/20-24 PIN
Gigabyte 8KNXP Rev. 2, BIOS version FG
P4 2.4C GHZ (BX80532PG2400D) W/512K CACHE 800MHZ 478-PIN
(2x) Kingston KVR400X64C3AK2/1G 2X512MB (MATCH PAIR) PC3200 400MHZ CL3
(4x) WD 250GB WD2500JB EIDE ULTRA-ATA/66-100 8.9MS 7200RPM 8MB BUFFER
(2x) WD 120GB 1200JD SERIAL ATA150 7200RPM 8MB BUFFER
ATI Radeon 9600 SE

Old January 22nd 04, 04:55 AM

It's a DualBIOS(TM) 'cuz it sux 2x..