Alternat TV player or FM Tuner applications?

Old December 21st 03, 08:03 PM
Noozer

Default Alternat TV player or FM Tuner applications?

Hi!

I currently have installed into my PC an MSI 8606 TV Tuner, FM reciever and
IR remote. The software that came with the card stinks (to put it politely).
I also have an ATI PCI TV Wonder card here on my desk that really sucks to
install. The software is a bit better once it's working, but there is no FM
Tuner or remote.

Can someone suggest how (or even a website) to use this hardware with
software other than what came with these cards? Is it even possible?
Basically, how much software MUST I use from MSI or ATI and what other
software CAN I use with these cards?

I'm hoping TV tuners, etc. have matured enough to make the API common enough
for many apps to work with many tuners. I'm hoping the same can be said for
the radio.

Any info is appreaciated!

P.s. I watch all groups to which I post. Feel free to remove any groups you
don't watch. I will still see your reply. Thx!

Old December 22nd 03, 10:56 AM

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 19:03:53 GMT, "Noozer"
wrote:

Hi!

I currently have installed into my PC an MSI 8606 TV Tuner, FM reciever and
IR remote. The software that came with the card stinks (to put it politely).
I also have an ATI PCI TV Wonder card here on my desk that really sucks to
install. The software is a bit better once it's working, but there is no FM
Tuner or remote.

Can someone suggest how (or even a website) to use this hardware with
software other than what came with these cards? Is it even possible?
Basically, how much software MUST I use from MSI or ATI and what other
software CAN I use with these cards?

It usually is possible.

http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/

Heres some generic drivers if your chipset matches.

Ive been using it with my Pinnacle Pro Deluxe PCI card - an older
Pinnacle card that used to be top of the line.

Ive never used the FM radio or remote features with the generics - I
dont think remote is supported obviously and as discussed earlier not
a heck of a lot of use since you have the mouse and the best quality
captures are probably from the Svideo Input - where you have to use
the digtial remote anyway to change channels.

Ive seen some FM radio progs though never used them .

One thing Ive found it really makes a huge difference on what cords
you use. When I use one line - heavy duty one , I get a clean signal.
When I use this cheaper coax cord I get lots of grainyness and waves
in the pic on some channels.

And it depends on how I install the drivers. I strangely get a
variablity sometimes where I get bad pics and then I reinstall and
then get good pics.

Ive been using these generics instead of the Pinnacle drivers because
the program that comes with it - though it does have remote/FM radio
and TV capture tuner features - it only recently started working with
updates and even then wont let me capture at higher res just really
low res.

I tried it now with my new ATI 9800.

One good thing it works with no hassle. Some cards were said not to
work with ATIs so Im relieved. Probably most cards do work somewhat
with ATIs if mine works. BUT - there is a glitch. On some channels the
lower half of the pic lags. You see the bottom of the screen change
some micro seconds or second after the top does so you see a split.

Im going to reinstall to see if its corrected.

Check here - there might be better shareware progs /drivers out now

http://www.tv-cards.com/

I was looking at ChrisTV and I see they have several remote control
progs etc.

Old December 22nd 03, 11:25 AM
Noozer

Thanks for the info!

I'll definately check it out!

Old December 23rd 03, 04:49 AM
troll

Hmm.
There was a program on sourceforge, that was used for making your puter into
a movie/mp3/recorder. Of course, its for linux...but thats another
chapter....

Pretty neat looking program..

http://freevo.sourceforge.net/