does this exist? front panel USB only...

Old August 17th 10, 04:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Matthew[_4_]

Default does this exist? front panel USB only...

Is there a front panel USB for the 5¼" slots? I've got a friend in the
photography business and he uses a ton of portable usb drives and is always
complaining about not having enough front panel USB ports. I've tried
googling for this but haven't really had any luck. I'm not really looking
for any sort of multi port device (which is all I can seem to find), just
one with nothing but a lot of USB. :-)

Actually at this point I would settle for a 3½" one if it was also nothing
but USB and had more than 4 ports.

Old August 17th 10, 04:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Matthew[_4_]

"Matthew" wrote in message
Is there a front panel USB for the 5¼" slots? I've got a friend in the
photography business and he uses a ton of portable usb drives and is
always complaining about not having enough front panel USB ports. I've
tried googling for this but haven't really had any luck. I'm not really
looking for any sort of multi port device (which is all I can seem to
find), just one with nothing but a lot of USB. :-)

Actually at this point I would settle for a 3½" one if it was also nothing
but USB and had more than 4 ports.

oh and before someone says it... he doesn't want to use a hub if at all
possible...

Old August 17th 10, 04:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
jinxy

On Aug 17, 11:30*am, "Matthew" wrote:
"Matthew" wrote in message

Is there a front panel USB for the 5¼" slots? I've got a friend in the
photography business and he uses a ton of portable usb drives and is
always complaining about not having enough front panel USB ports. I've
tried googling for this but haven't really had any luck. I'm not really
looking for any sort of multi port device (which is all I can seem to
find), just one with nothing but a lot of USB. :-)

Actually at this point I would settle for a 3½" one if it was also nothing
but USB and had more than 4 ports.

oh and before someone says it... he doesn't want to use a hub if at all
possible...

Could this be the answer?
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...104&CatId=4753
hope so.
-J
Old August 17th 10, 05:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rick[_9_]

On 8/17/2010 10:28 AM, Matthew wrote:
Is there a front panel USB for the 5¼" slots? I've got a friend in the
photography business and he uses a ton of portable usb drives and is always
complaining about not having enough front panel USB ports. I've tried
googling for this but haven't really had any luck. I'm not really looking
for any sort of multi port device (which is all I can seem to find), just
one with nothing but a lot of USB. :-)

Actually at this point I would settle for a 3½" one if it was also nothing
but USB and had more than 4 ports.

I a word yes--Google is your friend.

--

Rick Holbrook
Fargo, ND

Remember the USS Liberty
http://www.ussliberty.org/

Reply to: fholbrook(at)cableone.net

Old August 17th 10, 05:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 11:30:22 -0400, "Matthew" wrote:

| "Matthew" wrote in message
| Is there a front panel USB for the 5¼" slots? I've got a friend in the
| photography business and he uses a ton of portable usb drives and is
| always complaining about not having enough front panel USB ports. I've
| tried googling for this but haven't really had any luck. I'm not really
| looking for any sort of multi port device (which is all I can seem to
| find), just one with nothing but a lot of USB. :-)
|
| Actually at this point I would settle for a 3½" one if it was also nothing
| but USB and had more than 4 ports.
|

| oh and before someone says it... he doesn't want to use a hub if at all
| possible...

He may have to settle for a hub if he wants more than four ports. 3½" slot USB
panels I have seen only have four. 5¼" panels have had no more than four plus
other kinds of ports and card readers. Or if he has enough free slots and
connectors, maybe he could use two panels.

Larc
Old August 17th 10, 05:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Easter

Matthew wrote:
Is there a front panel USB for the 5¼" slots? I've got a friend in the
photography business and he uses a ton of portable usb drives and is always
complaining about not having enough front panel USB ports. I've tried
googling for this but haven't really had any luck. I'm not really looking
for any sort of multi port device (which is all I can seem to find), just
one with nothing but a lot of USB. :-)

Actually at this point I would settle for a 3½" one if it was also nothing
but USB and had more than 4 ports.

There are quite a few which have 4 USB for the 3.5 slot and the
CablesToGo one is very popular.

This^1 one has 4 USB + 2 firewire and will fit either 3.5 or 5.25 bay
with the adapter. I don't see any front bay hubs with such as 6 USB.

^1 http://peek.snipr.com/10p90o

--
Mike Easter
Old August 17th 10, 05:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Matthew wrote:
"Matthew" wrote in message
Is there a front panel USB for the 5¼" slots? I've got a friend in the
photography business and he uses a ton of portable usb drives and is
always complaining about not having enough front panel USB ports. I've
tried googling for this but haven't really had any luck. I'm not really
looking for any sort of multi port device (which is all I can seem to
find), just one with nothing but a lot of USB. :-)

Actually at this point I would settle for a 3½" one if it was also nothing
but USB and had more than 4 ports.

oh and before someone says it... he doesn't want to use a hub if at all
possible...

A tray mounted device, could be a hub.

For example, this is a hub. One port comes in, four ports go out. So
this is a hub, packaged in a 5.25" tray mount. The chip on the PCB, is
what performs the hub operation.

http://images.highspeedbackbone.net/...30564-main.jpg

This one on the other hand, looks to be just adapter cables. You
would need two 2x5 motherboard dual-port USB headers, to use one
like this, and have all the USB ports work. There is no chip on this
one, and no chip means it is not a hub architecture.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/13-999-355-S05?$S640W$

http://www.silverstonetek.com/downloads/pindefine.jpg

You can get much the same thing (non-hub wire extension to front bay)
from here. This shows, effectively, how that Silverstonetek one works.

http://www.frontx.com/cpx108_2.html

The FrontX ones are modular, and you build your bay using modules.
It allows you to have a custom layout of connectors on the front
of the computer.

http://www.frontx.com/cpx088p2.gif

So if you can see pictures of them, detailed pictures, you can
kinda guess what type they are.

Modern motherboards can have as many as three 2x5 USB headers, providing
up to six USB ports. Older motherboards might not have as many of those,
and thus your options are more limited. In this picture, there are three
blue colored 2x5 USB2 pin headers, in the upper right hand corner. That
would be enough for 1.5 Silverstonetek bays.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/13-131-386-S03?$S640W$

The connector options on the USB bay, as also an issue. Some bay kits,
come with a real USB connector on the end, rather than a 1x5 or 2x5
pin header connector. To connect a bay with a real USB connector, and
keep it inside the computer, you'd use a PCI USB card.

For example, this PCI USB2 card, has a single USB2 connector for usage
inside the computer. You'd use that with a hub-type USB bay, to get four
ports. That means a regular USB2 cable, stretches from the bay, down
to that connector on the PCI USB2 card.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/15-104-216-S01?$S640W$

A bay with real USB connector on the inside of the computer, is
likely to be hub type.

HTH,
Paul
Old August 17th 10, 06:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Aug 17, 11:28 am, "Matthew" wrote:
Is there a front panel USB for the 5¼" slots? I've got a friend in the
photography business and he uses a ton of portable usb drives and is always
complaining about not having enough front panel USB ports. I've tried
googling for this but haven't really had any luck. I'm not really looking
for any sort of multi port device (which is all I can seem to find), just
one with nothing but a lot of USB. :-)

Actually at this point I would settle for a 3½" one if it was also nothing
but USB and had more than 4 ports.

The OS will chain up to 128 USB headers, maybe more.

Tricky part will be getting past 28 drive letters.
Old August 17th 10, 06:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DevilsPGD[_4_]

In message

Flasherly was claimed to have wrote:

The OS will chain up to 128 USB headers, maybe more.

Tricky part will be getting past 28 drive letters.

28?

And why would this be a problem? You can mount drives to paths instead
of using drive letters. Take a look for USBDLM for a tool that will
automate the process.
Old August 17th 10, 07:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
metspitzer

"Matthew" wrote in message

Is there a front panel USB for the 5¼" slots? I've got a friend in the
photography business and he uses a ton of portable usb drives and is
always complaining about not having enough front panel USB ports. I've
tried googling for this but haven't really had any luck. I'm not really
looking for any sort of multi port device (which is all I can seem to
find), just one with nothing but a lot of USB. :-)

Actually at this point I would settle for a 3½" one if it was also nothing
but USB and had more than 4 ports.

oh and before someone says it... he doesn't want to use a hub if at all
possible...

Could this be the answer?
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...104&CatId=4753
hope so.
-J

They should make one of these that plugs into the mobo, instead of
running through the computer and out the back. It is kind of cheezy
to have to do this. The one I ordered was not hard wired to the hub,
it would be so easy to make two types.