P5W DH Deluxe: I have to installa BIOS

Old June 9th 10, 07:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Default P5W DH Deluxe: I have to installa BIOS

Hi, I use Windows 7 and and Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard. Now I'd
like to install the latest BIOS. Is it P5W DH DELUXE BIOS 3001
2009/10/29?
To find that file do I have to choose Wista 32 or Others?
thanks
Old June 9th 10, 08:24 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

tt wrote:
Hi, I use Windows 7 and and Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard. Now I'd
like to install the latest BIOS. Is it P5W DH DELUXE BIOS 3001
2009/10/29?
To find that file do I have to choose Wista 32 or Others?
thanks

Do you know the risks of BIOS flashing ?

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

You can select WinXP from the download menu, as the BIOS
files are not a function of the OS being used. The latest
BIOS in the list is 3001.

This is the history list for the BIOS.

[ 3001 ] Fix Cpu Vcore voltage may not be changed with Wolfdale CPU
[ 2901 ] Fix the system may BSOD after upgrading to Vista Service Pack 2.
[ 2801 ] Support new CPUs
[ 2704 ] Support new CPUs
[ 2602 ] Support new CPUs
[ 2503 ] Fixed CPU will reach high temperature after system resumed from S3.
[ 2406 ] Support new CPUs.
Finetune supervisor password control code
Finetune HD audio control code
[ 2302 ] Support new CPUs
[ 2206 ] Support new CPUs
[ 2004 ] Enhance memory compatibility
Support new CPUs
[ 1901 ] Enhance compatibility between EZ-Flash II and USB Flash
Support new CPUs
[ 1707 ] Support Intel SpeedStep in Vista
Update JMicron option rom to 1.06.63
Support new CPUs
[ 1602 ] Fix CPU frequency incorrectly display problem on AiBooster
Enhance HDD compatibility
[ 1506 ] Support new CPUs
Enhance memory compatibility
[ 1407 ] Support new CPUs
Fix EN7900GTX PCIE VGA Card compatibility issue when PEG Link Mode is set at [Faster]
[ 1305 ] Update JMicron Option Rom to V1.06.56a
[ 1201 ] Support new CPUs
[ 1101 ] Support new CPUs
[ 0801 ] Support new CPUs
[ 0701 ] Support new CPUs

If the BIOS flash operation fails, your motherboard may no longer boot.
Getting a replacement BIOS chip will take a while, so it is a good
idea to have a second computer ready, in case the BIOS flash doesn't
work.

Also, make note of the settings in your BIOS setup screens. You should
either have digital camera pictures of each BIOS screen, or make careful
written notes. Apparently, the BIOS screen settings may be reset by the
BIOS flash tool, so you should have your settings recorded somewhere.

Hope that helps,
Paul
Old June 9th 10, 09:43 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Hi Paul, thanks for your reply. Now my BIOS is AMIBIOS Version 1901
Build date 01/24/07
In your opinion can I get some improvements by new BIOS?
I'd like to replace the old with new BIOS by Asus Update Utility:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/S...-Utility.shtml
I think it is very easy to use it, infact it has a good Option, it can
find the right BIOS file automaticaaly from Internet.
Thanks

Old June 9th 10, 10:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

tt wrote:
Hi Paul, thanks for your reply. Now my BIOS is AMIBIOS Version 1901
Build date 01/24/07
In your opinion can I get some improvements by new BIOS?
I'd like to replace the old with new BIOS by Asus Update Utility:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/S...-Utility.shtml
I think it is very easy to use it, infact it has a good Option, it can
find the right BIOS file automaticaaly from Internet.
Thanks

In your opinion can I get some improvements by new BIOS?

Generally, I don't flash the BIOS many many times on my motherboard.
On my current motherboard, I haven't updated it yet. On my previous
Asrock motherboard, I flashed in a couple hacked (modified by a guy
in Germany) BIOS, because I wanted a working EIST (SpeedStep for power savings).
I generally flash update the BIOS, if there is a pressing need to
flash the BIOS. If the motherboard works well, with no complaints,
then I don't flash it. My previous motherboard only cost $65, so
if I broke it, I didn't care.

*******

If you go to the download page

http://support.asus.com.tw/download/...Language=en-us

search for your motherboard, then select "Utilities", the
ASUS Update V7.09.02 is mentioned there. You can get it from
Asus. But that particular one a fairly old version.

If you need a more recent copy of the utility, look here.
There are versions released in the year 2010.

ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/asus/misc/utils/

AsusUpdt_V71717_XpVistaWin7.zip 14315 KB 3/27/2010 12:00:00 AM
AsusUpdt_V71802_XPVISTAWIN7.zip 14424 KB 4/21/2010 12:00:00 AM
AsusUpdt_V71803.zip 14422 KB 4/29/2010 12:00:00 AM

*Sometimes* it finds the right BIOS. It all depends on the
encoding of the Asus web site. The Asus Update tool, fetches
some information from the Asus web site. I traced it once
with a packet sniffer, to find out where the info comes from.
In my case, the tool was not presenting the very latest BIOS
in the list. So if it doesn't show 3001 in your list, the
reason can be the source of information the Update tool is
using. The Asus Update tool doesn't get the info the
same way a human does, from support.asus.com.tw . It is possible
for the information to be out of synchronization. If that
is the case, you can always download the 3001 BIOS file
directly from support.asus.com.tw , then tell the Asus Update
tool about the file.

There are other methods to flash the BIOS, such as AFUDOS.
To use this one, you prepare a MSDOS boot floppy, with at
least 1MB of free space to hold the BIOS file. Use of this
program is covered in Section 4.1.4 "AFUDOS Utility" in
your user manual.

ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/asus/mb/flash/

AFUDOS236.zip 24 KB 1/12/2008 12:00:00 AM
Afudos238.zip 24 KB 8/6/2008 12:00:00 AM
AFUDOS241.zip 24 KB 11/19/2009 12:00:00 AM

And Section 4.1.3 "EZFlash 2" of the manual, covers
a BIOS flashing feature built right into the BIOS.
You can place the downloaded and unzipped BIOS file
(should be 1,048,576 bytes file size) on a floppy
or on a USB flash stick. If I was doing it, I would
shorten the file name to 8.3 characters...

P5W-DH-Deluxe-3001.ROM -- P5W_3001.ROM

before copying the file over to my floppy or USB flash
memory stick. The format of the storage device used
to hold the file, should be FAT rather than NTFS.
EZFlash doesn't understand NTFS file systems.

Paul