what's the reset button for on the bottom of laptops?

Old May 22nd 10, 10:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
~hp-hdx~

Default what's the reset button for on the bottom of laptops?

Hi,
On some laptops there is a micro switch on the bottom.
What's it for?
Thanks,
Al
Old May 22nd 10, 11:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Nil[_3_]

On 22 May 2010, "~hp-hdx~" wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

On some laptops there is a micro switch on the bottom.
What's it for?

It's there to make you consult the owner's manual.
Old May 22nd 10, 11:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Nil wrote:

It's there to make you consult the owner's manual.

lol
Old May 23rd 10, 03:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
~hp-hdx~

thanks for the help.

"Steve" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

On 22 May 2010, "~hp-hdx~" wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

On some laptops there is a micro switch on the bottom.
What's it for?

It's there to make you consult the owner's manual.

DO NOT-UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES-PUSH THE BIG RED BUTTON!

Old May 23rd 10, 10:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JKevorkian

Default what's the reset button for on the bottom of laptops? --- Push it and find o.....

Old May 23rd 10, 12:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
TVeblen

On 5/22/2010 5:15 PM, ~hp-hdx~ wrote:
Hi,
On some laptops there is a micro switch on the bottom.
What's it for?
Thanks,
Al

What brand and model laptop did you see this on?
Old May 23rd 10, 03:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
~hp-hdx~

snip
Underneath the laptop? I have a very small slide switch on the front edge
of a Lenovo that connects/disconnects the WiFi. could ir be something like
that?

Ron Moore

No Ron, It's a micro switch. the hole for it is about 1/16th of an inch in
diameter.
The switch is set about 1/16 of an inch below the surface of the bottom.
You feel a slight click with you depress the switch with a pencil point or
pin.
I've them on various laptops.
Yeah, the one you mentioned is the wifi on off switch.
Al

Old May 23rd 10, 03:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
~hp-hdx~

On 5/22/2010 5:15 PM, ~hp-hdx~ wrote:
Hi,
On some laptops there is a micro switch on the bottom.
What's it for?
Thanks,
Al

What brand and model laptop did you see this on?

I've seen it on a few laptops, but don't recall make and models.
I had one recently,I think it was a dell, that wouldn't boot at all. zilch.
I mean totally dead system.
After swapping out what I could with no joy,
I pressed the microswitch on the bottom and the laptop booted. I
think it may be a thermal overload circuit breaker like you find on some
appliances, but
I haven't been able to find out for sure, that's why I asked this group.
I'm typing this on a one year old hp HDX and it doesn't have one. My 5 year
old Compaq Presario
doesn't have one either, I just checked. I keep notes on the systems I work
on, but I'll be on the
road until late July and won't be back with my notes until then. At that
time I can tell you at least
on make and model for sure.