Looking for fairly quiet case

Old April 17th 10, 02:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jim

Default Looking for fairly quiet case

I'm looking for an new case to take a standard ATX mainboard, i don't
overclock neither am i a great game player but i do give the cpu a hard time
sometimes (mainly video encoding/making rar files/making par2 files etc) i
need a case that has at least 2 x 5.25 drive bays, 1 x external 3.5 bay, and
a fair few internal 3.5 bays as well (at the very least 4, more if poss) I
will not use watercooling everything will be air cooled.
My biggest problem is right now i have done everything i can to make my
current case as quiet as poss but sometimes there is still some kind of
vibration which i can only put down to hard drives, so i'm looking for a
case that will be as quiet as poss without spending a stupid amount of ££££
I have looked at more cases then i care to mention so i'm looking for some
feedback from others who have taken the steps to buy a quieter case and had
good results, I'd like to keep the price below £100 but to be honest i think
i may need to spend more like £150 but that is the max i will spend, if you
need any more info from me just let me know.

TIA

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5035 (20100416) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old April 17th 10, 04:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Apr 17, 9:44 am, "Jim" wrote:

I have looked at more cases then i care to mention so i'm looking for some
feedback from others who have taken the steps to buy a quieter case and had
good results, I'd like to keep the price below £100 but to be honest i think
i may need to spend more like £150 but that is the max i will spend, if you
need any more info from me just let me know.

HDs click, not vibrate. Listen to them with a screwdriver tip placed
unobtrusively qurg the handle at your ear. These days, it's fans,
plenty of them, and 120mm variants. Two optionally into the front
grill below 4 exposed 5.25 bays, a rack for 8 3.5 hidden bays. Two to
the other side of the MB and another topside. One more by way of
backside augmentation above the bottom-mount, sheet bracketing for the
PS. Didn't run much either, including at least one 120mm fan,
probably under $50US shipped to the lower Savannahs. Will need take
it apart and consider where another, probably two, are most advantage
as temperatures rise into a scorcher. The included is 3-way
adjustable, but entirely variable across the RPM range is also keen;-
I'd much rather that than any fixed fan.

Let's see... imagine one will definitely go across 3 HDs, I'll move
into adjacency for a tighter profile and actively-cooled array, one on
the side opposite to the CPU, both instances pulling, then the PS and
another either directly topside or backplane top for exhausting with
those pushing. No need to drop a lot of jack -- reasonable case
prices for the most come expected from any half-sufficient brandname,
an modicum added for regard and reviews likely to be well within
fortitude it's an efficient design implementation. Trick, I suppose,
is getting a number of good quality fans at some reasonable discount,
if not for nothing and included as a better showcase, presumably then
under the price of the case outlay.
Old April 17th 10, 04:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Agent_C

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 14:44:34 +0100, "Jim"
wrote:

[...]

Nexus is the Rolls-Royce in this area;
http://www.cooltechpc.com/c/ctpc/std...t_pc_case.html

A_C

Old April 17th 10, 05:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
TVeblen

On 4/17/2010 9:44 AM, Jim wrote:
[...]

I am rather liking my Lian Li PC-K10B. Best case I ever owned and very
quiet and stock cool. There were 6 styles in this line when I bought
mine 1 year ago.

Old April 17th 10, 06:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Charlie Hoffpauir

wrote:

[...]

I also like a very quiet case, or if it has to make some noise, a low
sound rather than an annoying high pitch.

I've been using Antec Sonata cases for my last few builds, and am
generally pleased with them. Some of the plusses are the fact that
hard drives are "soft" mounted in removable trays. This provides
vibration islolation from the metal frame. Also the frame is on the
heavy side, which stops some of the annoying rattles with thin sheet
metal. It also helps a LOT to use large slow rotating fans. The last
computer I assembled came with a very high speed CPU cooler fan, and
it overwhelmed all the other noise. changing just that fan made the
case much quieter. If your video use can stand it, also look at a
non-fan cooled video card. And get a power supply thats rated for
ultra quiet, like an Enermax. (Some Antec cases come with a PS, so if
you go that way look carefully at the PS that is provided. I recently
got an antec case with 500 w PS that was quiet, but absolutely refused
to function with my APC UPS.... so I had to change out the PS.)
--
Charlie Hoffpauir

Everything is what it is because it got that way....D'Arcy Thompson
Old April 17th 10, 06:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jim

wrote:

I'm looking for an new case to take a standard ATX mainboard, i don't
overclock neither am i a great game player but i do give the cpu a hard
time
sometimes (mainly video encoding/making rar files/making par2 files etc) i
need a case that has at least 2 x 5.25 drive bays, 1 x external 3.5 bay,
and
a fair few internal 3.5 bays as well (at the very least 4, more if poss) I
will not use watercooling everything will be air cooled.
My biggest problem is right now i have done everything i can to make my
current case as quiet as poss but sometimes there is still some kind of
vibration which i can only put down to hard drives, so i'm looking for a
case that will be as quiet as poss without spending a stupid amount of
££££
[...]

OK maybe I should have given a bit more info, my current case is an old
Antec SX1030 but has had PSU upgraded to a Corsair HX750, new video card
will be passively cooled as I say not a gamer so anything basic will do me
just fine, I did change Antec's stock fans with 3 x Xilence Red Wing 80mm (2
sucking in 1 blowing out at top rear), rubber feet but hard drives are all
mounted directly to the case, case design has moved on along way since i
bought the 1030, it's been a superb case but just the noise it gives out
sometimes is just too annoying and warrants some case being spent on a new
one, will check out Nexus and Lian Li PC-K10B now so thanks for those
suggestions guys.

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5036 (20100417) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old April 17th 10, 09:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
TVeblen

wrote:

[...]

Don't skip the Antec Sonata cases either. I have the original Sonata 1
and a Sonata 2, they are good, quiet cases. In my case the Sonata 3 was
too small for my monster video card, but it may be acceptable for you.
Old April 17th 10, 09:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Charlie Hoffpauir

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 18:59:46 +0100, "Jim"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I "hate" 80 mm fans, even the quiet ones make a noise that's very
annoying to me. As a test, just disconnect those fans for a few
minutes and see if it makes a difference. If it does, try replacing
them with very large, slow rotating fans. I "mount" fans using
silicone glue (RTV).... holds them in place and provides vibration
isolation. I once mounted a hard drive the same way, and it worked
fine.

Old April 17th 10, 11:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SteveH

Jim wrote:
will check out Nexus and Lian Li PC-K10B now so thanks for those
suggestions guys.

Also, you might want to have a look at the Antec P180, !92 etc. Very quiet.

--
SteveH

Old April 18th 10, 12:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Steve

In article ,
says...

I'm looking for an new case to take a standard ATX mainboard,

snip

Antec P193 Gunmetal Gray Aluminum / Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower
Computer Case

"Antec's thoughtfully-designed P193 case brings you top performance
and unique style, with its three-layer, sound-deadening panels.
Inside, a separate lower chamber houses your power supply (purchased
separately), isolating its heat and reducing system noise. The upper
chamber comes standard with a rear 120mm and two top 140 mm TriCool
fans, with a huge 200mm side fan for cool your dual VGA cards.

The three-layer side panel and front door stifle system noise for
peace and quiet, then opens 270-degrees for easy access. Front-
mounted ports give you easy access to two USB 2.0 connectors, one
eSATA connector, and audio jacks. Rear panel features external
controls for the fans in the upper chamber.

You'll have all the room you need to build your dream system in this
case, with bays for four external 5.25" drives, one external 3.5"
drive and six internal 3.5" drives. There's space for an ATX
motherboard up to 12"(W) x 9.6"(L), seven expansion slots, and
rubber-grommeted mounts on the rear for an optional external liquid
cooling system. Built-in cable organizer behind motherboard tray
keeps your cables under control. This wonderful case has everything
you need to build your white hot gaming system!"

..

Quiet Case? Not so Quiet Case? Talal Itani General 7 April 9th 07 09:26 AM
quiet case fan Stu Wilson General 11 July 27th 04 10:23 PM
Looking for a quiet case fish Overclocking 2 May 4th 04 12:47 PM
Looking for a quiet case fish Overclocking AMD Processors 2 May 4th 04 07:51 AM
Quiet Those Case Fans mark7 Gigabyte Motherboards 1 January 2nd 04 06:51 AM