Nvidia aims for 3 TFLOPS in either Tri-SLI or dual-GPU GeForce 9800 ?

Old October 15th 07, 12:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
NV55

Default Nvidia aims for 3 TFLOPS in either Tri-SLI or dual-GPU GeForce 9800 ?

http://www.nordichardware.com/news,6911.html

NVIDIA aims for 3 TFLOPS with next high-end GPU
Written by Andreas G 09 October 2007 13:08

"GeForce 9800" will be a monster. Not that I think that this statement
surprises you the least bit, but we were told by a friend that the
next high-end GPU will not only sport double the performance of the
ATi R680/2950X2, but actually triple the performance. The card "R680"
is suppose to have two RV670 chips side by side on a single PCB and be
able to output around 1 TFLOPS. This is the next high-end card from
AMD/ATI, but we should not forget about R700 which is due this Spring.
G92, or whatever we should call it due to the code-name mismatch in
some charts, is also slated for launch in Spring.

When we first heard about the 3 TFLOPS it was too early for us to
actually believe them, but it seems that NVIDIA is still telling its
partners that 3 TFLOPS is what they will be getting.

Three TFLOPS could very well be a reference to Tri-SLI, or a dual-GPU
card, but the source was rather specific in that NVIDIA is saying the
circuit will be capable of 3 TFLOPS. We'll just have to wait and see.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

it won't be with G92 since G92 is not a top-performance card, but
rather the real refresh of G80 which I will just continue to call
NV55.

if NV55 is ~1 TFLOP, it's not hard to see ~3 TFLOPS in Tri-SLI

if NV55 is 1.5 TFLOPS (purely speculative), a ~3 TFLOPs dual-GPU
single card could be possible, I suppose.

Old October 15th 07, 03:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Mike Ray

NV55 wrote:
[...]

I wonder what drives TFLOP cards. Do Games, hard to believe? Are 3D CAD
programs using these high end cards?
Old October 15th 07, 03:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Walter Mitty

Mike Ray writes:

NV55 wrote:
[...]

I cant see many CAD programs needing the even the power that the latest
games need....
Old October 15th 07, 06:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Bob M

Mike Ray wrote:
NV55 wrote:
[...]

Micro$oft Flight Sim X
Old October 15th 07, 10:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Phil Weldon

'Mike Ray' wrote:
| I wonder what drives TFLOP cards. Do Games, hard to believe? Are 3D CAD
| programs using these high end cards?
_____

Digital movies and television see
http://www.nvidia.com/page/quadroplex.html
and
simulations see Tesla C870 GPU 500 GFlops peak at
http://www.nvidia.com/object/tesla_c...solutions.html .

Phil Weldon