What's better?

Old September 23rd 05, 12:11 AM
/Mr.X

"Scott" skrev i meddelandet
farmuse wrote:
one advantage of the 6800 is unlocking the additional 4 pipes, mine
worked fine afterwards but having some issue overclocking it, still I
think the 6800 is a better card.

Early versions of the 6800 AGP card have 16 pipelines with four of those
pipelines being masked. On those cards, the additional pipelines can be
unlocked.

Tthe PCI-E versions of the 6800 are manufactured with only 12 pipelines so
there is nothing to unlock.

I'm not sure, but it is quite possible the current 6800 AGP cards are also
manufactured with only 12 pipelines.

-Scott

You are wrong, even the new 6800 has 16 pipelines but 4 is "locked"..
My newly bought Leadtek 6800 runs fine with all 16 pixelpipes and all 6
vertex units that i have unlocked..
Core 420MHz.
About corefrequensy i had to mod BIOS to run 1,4volt instead of default
1,2volt. With 1,3volt i could only reach around 400-410MHz ..

I also have a MSI 6800LE that runs fine on 12 pixelpipes and 6
vertexunits..Core 425MHz . BIOS-Mod for co 1,1--1,3volt
They are both "unlocked with Riva Tuner..

/Mr.X

Old September 23rd 05, 12:15 AM
/Mr.X

"/Mr.X" skrev i meddelandet

"Scott" skrev i meddelandet
farmuse wrote:
one advantage of the 6800 is unlocking the additional 4 pipes, mine
worked fine afterwards but having some issue overclocking it, still I
think the 6800 is a better card.

Early versions of the 6800 AGP card have 16 pipelines with four of those
pipelines being masked. On those cards, the additional pipelines can be
unlocked.

Tthe PCI-E versions of the 6800 are manufactured with only 12 pipelines
so there is nothing to unlock.

I'm not sure, but it is quite possible the current 6800 AGP cards are
also manufactured with only 12 pipelines.

-Scott

You are wrong, even the new 6800 has 16 pipelines but 4 is "locked"..
My newly bought Leadtek 6800 runs fine with all 16 pixelpipes and all 6
vertex units that i have unlocked..
Core 420MHz.
About corefrequensy i had to mod BIOS to run 1,4volt instead of default
1,2volt. With 1,3volt i could only reach around 400-410MHz ..

I also have a MSI 6800LE that runs fine on 12 pixelpipes and 6
vertexunits..Core 425MHz . BIOS-Mod for co 1,1--1,3volt
They are both "unlocked with Riva Tuner..

/Mr.X

Talking about AGP-Versions..

The Leadtek-card gives 5000+ in 3DMark 05, and 13 000+ in 3DMark 03
MSI-Card gives 4000+ in 3DMark 05, and 10 500+ in 3DMark 03..
Not so bad for a mainstream-card i believe..
:-)

/Mr.X

Old September 23rd 05, 02:00 AM
Dre

"/Mr.X" wrote in message

"Scott" skrev i meddelandet
farmuse wrote:
[...]

Hi, I have an Nvidia 6800gt and was wondering if you could give me a link or
something with more info on this?

I can only find stuff on 6800LE's..

Cheers Dre

Old September 23rd 05, 04:52 AM
Dre

"Dre" wrote in message
"/Mr.X" wrote in message

"Scott" skrev i meddelandet
farmuse wrote:
[...]

Nevermind, you use RivaTuner...

Cheers Dre

Old September 23rd 05, 07:52 AM
/Mr.X

"Dre" skrev i meddelandet
"/Mr.X" wrote in message

"Scott" skrev i meddelandet
farmuse wrote:
[...]

6800GT has all pipes opened from scratch. What you can do is mod BIOS to
1,4volt instead of 1,3volt for possible higher OC of the core. In good cases
it will run as a 6800Ultra.
MOD'ing the BIOS you can do with a program called NiBitor
http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?opt...&filecatid=741
But if youre not sure of what you are doing, dont do it.

/Mr.X

Old September 23rd 05, 03:58 PM
farmuse

Dragoncarer wrote:

"farmuse" wrote in message

Alexander Hecht wrote:

"vellu" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Mr. Brian Allen kirjoitti:

Should I go with a 6600gt 128mb, or a regular 6800 128mb? Playing
games like BIA, WOW, and Chaos Theory on an AMD 3000+ with a gig of
RAM.

As far as Tomshardwares VGA Chart Summer 2005 (PCIE) is conserned, the
6600GT 128 MB outperformed the 6800 256MB in every single benchmark they
ran. In some quite significantly.

The 6800 however might be overclockable to improve it's performance
beyond the 6600GT.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...524/index.html

Did you link to an article that you didn't even read?
The 6800 is faster than the 6600GT at defaults...

one advantage of the 6800 is unlocking the additional 4 pipes, mine
worked fine afterwards but having some issue overclocking it, still I
think the 6800 is a better card.

IMHO you should never, not ever, no never, buy a card based so heavily on
its OC capabilities. Not to mention voiding all warranty if you do OC - and
the sort of OC we're talking about here, which would include flashing the
bios to a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT VERSION OF THE CARD will without a doubt
score you no brownie points with the manufactuerer - aside from this, you
won't know if it will even work! And you could result in nothing more than a
smoking puddle of plastic.

No, you should never buy based on OC. Good OC potential is an added bonus.
If you really want/ need the extra power that hardcore OCing will give you,
then you're better off saving for an extra few months and buying the actual
better card.

IMHO, of course.

well that is nice, and good advice about flashing the BIOS but
what are components for other than to OC ? really, most OC because it is
fun, and warranties are the last thing to worry most, shoot in a few
years video cards are worth about $2, so what is the big deal. Most
won't fry them, only a fool would do that.

Old September 23rd 05, 05:26 PM
Folk

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 20:16:37 -0400, "Mr. Brian Allen"
wrote:

What's better?

A subject line that's indicative of the question is better.
Old September 24th 05, 03:31 PM
Sharanga Dayananda

Also note that the AGP 6800 has a broken video processor and can't offer WMV
HD decode acceleration, whereas the 6600 has working PureVideo silicon.

MPEG-2 HD decode works on everything.

Old September 26th 05, 12:15 AM
Dre

"/Mr.X" wrote in message

"Dre" skrev i meddelandet
"/Mr.X" wrote in message

"Scott" skrev i meddelandet
farmuse wrote:
[...]

Nah, not really what I'm looking for, not a fan of OC'ing. I did check
though and your right, all my piplines and shaders are allready unlocked...

Cheers Dre