P4B533 no go with 512MB past 400MHz

Old February 27th 04, 08:30 PM
Muntz

Default P4B533 no go with 512MB past 400MHz

My setup is as follows

Asus P4B533
(actually hits 3.5 with stock air, yoohoooh, but don't wanna push
it without better cooling)
256MB of garbage no name DDR400 ram running at 414MHZ (3:4 divider thru
dipswitch #6 trick)
ATI Radeon 9800Pro
2 hard drives
DVD writer
DVD reader
Sound Blaster Live
350W PSU

Now for the weirdness.
I had added another stick of DDR400 ram, and no go (long beep on boot up,
not even getting to Win splash screen). All the ram tweakings on least
aggressive settings.
I figured it was a case of two dimms being tricky to run past 400MHZ, so I
bought a stick of Corsair XMS3200 (cas2, 2,2,5). Should have done 400MHz in
its sleep. No go, same effect as two dimms, even with relaxing all the
timings and bumping ddr voltage to max.

I ran the Corsair in a friend's PC (Asus P4P800) and no problemo. So I tried
a dimm of his Kingston Value PC3200 ram and same thing: no go.

It seems that when I install more than 256MB I can't get the FSB past
350MHZ.
Ain't it a little odd?
Could it be a power supply issue? Especially since I recently installed the
Radeon 9800Pro which seems to be quite the EMF glutton.

I'm befuddled. The Corsair is just too good looking a piece of ram not to
let it stretch its legs

All suggestions welcome,
TIA

Old February 28th 04, 09:49 AM
Clock´n Roll

"Muntz" skrev i en meddelelse
[...]

Try no OC at all, put in the add. ram stick .After the bios recognizes your
add. ram you wanna try the workarround again.
G.