P4 2.53 @ 2.94

Old February 27th 04, 07:30 PM
antonio

Default P4 2.53 @ 2.94

I've overclocked my P4 2.53 @ 2.94 [155x19] with 1.625V on an Asus P4B533,
but after 10/15 minutes I play Need for Speed Hot Pursuit II it resets and
starts over - can anyone give me an explanation for this?

Old February 27th 04, 08:00 PM
Clint

What sort of temperatures are you getting on the processor while playing
NFS? I seem to remember that being pretty intense on the CPU. I've got an
overclocked 2.4GHz (to 3.06 ), and it would rack my temps up pretty high.
I used the AsusProbe application to measure, but you could also use
MotherBoard Montitor (MBM).

Clint

Old February 27th 04, 08:07 PM
Wayne Youngman

"antonio" wrote
I've overclocked my P4 2.53 @ 2.94 [155x19] with 1.625V on an Asus P4B533,
but after 10/15 minutes I play Need for Speed Hot Pursuit II it resets and
starts over - can anyone give me an explanation for this?

Hi,
either the vCore isn't feeding the overclocked CPU enough juice, or maybe
the CPU is getting too hot from the extra power. Possibly the memory isn't
stable. What memory do you have?
--
Wayne ][
Concepts, Theory, Learning Curves, and woman with big bOObs!

Old February 27th 04, 08:42 PM
antonio

While I play Need for Speed temperature reached 67°C with on AsusProbe -
might that be the cause? My memory is 512MB DDRAM 333Mhz...

"antonio" wrote

Old February 27th 04, 08:45 PM
antonio

With AsusProbe, temperature reached 67°C while playing Need for Speed -
might that be the cause?
What motherboard do YOU have anyway?

Old February 27th 04, 09:22 PM
Clint

I've got a P4PE board, with a 2.4B processor, with about 1.6V as well. My
temps were around your level under load, but my system was still running ok
(i.e. it didn't reset, although was some places that it really seemed to bog
down).

I think 67 is getting up there for temps. I've taken steps to reduce that
on my machine. They include:
1) Removing cover from computer while playing
2) Replacing thermal pad with Arctic Silver 3
3) Lapping the HS bottom
4) Replacing stock HS with Zalman 7000 unit.

Steps 1 drops the temp by a goodly amount, with or without steps 2 and 3.
Steps 2 and 3 dropped the temp by about 10 degrees, and were done together.
I haven't got Step 4 done yet (HS is sitting on my closet shelf right now),
but that's being done more for noise reduction than temperature control.
With steps 2 and three, I don't think I've exceeded 60 degrees.

Clint

Old February 27th 04, 11:27 PM
ElJerid

With AsusProbe, temperature reached 67°C while playing Need for Speed -
might that be the cause?
What motherboard do YOU have anyway?

I believe those temps are definitively too high for a P4. Most good
motherboards will then shut down. You should review your entire CPU and case
cooling. Fyi, my P4 2.4 @ 3.0 GHz on an Asus P4P800 never goes higher than
38°C (FS2004 or continuous video rendering).

Old February 27th 04, 11:32 PM
antonio

Yeah now I guess I've found the answer to why it shuts down while playing
NFS: almost 70°C - do you think the shutting down and the high temperature
might have caused some damage? And do you think it'd cool down a bit if I
opened the case?

Old February 28th 04, 08:53 AM
ElJerid

"antonio" wrote in message
Yeah now I guess I've found the answer to why it shuts down while playing
NFS: almost 70°C - do you think the shutting down and the high temperature
might have caused some damage? And do you think it'd cool down a bit if I
opened the case?

Don't think you have damage up to now, as the security feature of shutting
down worked well. But if this situation should be maintained for a certain
period of time, you will surely shorten the lifetime of some components
(cpu, chipset, e.o.). I don't know how your case looks like, but the first
thing to do is insure a good airflow in the case (in-fan at bottom-front and
out fan at top-rear). Then make sure you have a good cpu cooler (even the
boxed Intel cooler gives good results) and that it is installed correctly
with a small amount of Artic Silver. And yes, keeping your case open could
be a good temporarely solution for the general air flow, but not for a weak
cpu cooler.

Old February 28th 04, 11:38 AM
Wayne Youngman

"antonio"wrote
While I play Need for Speed temperature reached 67°C with on AsusProbe -
might that be the cause? My memory is 512MB DDRAM 333Mhz...

Hi,
I'm no P4 expert, but I think under 70°C is not gonna cause your PC to
reboot, unless there is some failsafe option kicking in?. Of course it would
be more desirable to have load temps under 50°C. Hmmm so it's rebooting,
how about the vCore, do you think the CPU is getting enough?