does this exist? front panel USB only...

Old August 17th 10, 09:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
fwibbler

Default does this exist? front panel USB only...

Metspitzer wrote:

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 08:57:07 -0700 (PDT), jinxy
wrote:

On Aug 17, 11:30*am, "Matthew" wrote:
"Matthew" wrote in message

Is there a front panel USB for the 5¼" slots? I've got a friend in

the
photography business and he uses a ton of portable usb drives and is
always complaining about not having enough front panel USB ports.

I've
tried googling for this but haven't really had any luck. I'm not

really
looking for any sort of multi port device (which is all I can seem to
find), just one with nothing but a lot of USB. :-)

Actually at this point I would settle for a 3½" one if it was also

nothing
but USB and had more than 4 ports.

oh and before someone says it... he doesn't want to use a hub if at all
possible...

Could this be the answer?

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...104&CatId=4753
hope so.
-J

They should make one of these that plugs into the mobo, instead of
running through the computer and out the back. It is kind of cheezy
to have to do this. The one I ordered was not hard wired to the hub,
it would be so easy to make two types.

How about one of these:
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Scan-...-Front-Bay-Hub
Not a hub, three ports at the front and two more at the rear and chips as
chips to boot.

I've had two and they work fine.

--
Graham
Website - http://www.thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk
Old August 17th 10, 09:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Loren Pechtel

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 11:28:00 -0400, "Matthew"
wrote:

Is there a front panel USB for the 5¼" slots? I've got a friend in the
photography business and he uses a ton of portable usb drives and is always
complaining about not having enough front panel USB ports. I've tried
googling for this but haven't really had any luck. I'm not really looking
for any sort of multi port device (which is all I can seem to find), just
one with nothing but a lot of USB. :-)

Actually at this point I would settle for a 3½" one if it was also nothing
but USB and had more than 4 ports.

I have a little geegaw that provides 4 USBs in the opening for the 3
1/2" drive. One cable to a USB port (my machine has an internal USB
port on an expansion card) and it gets it's power from the floppy
power cable.

I don't recall seeing a 5 1/4" version but I wasn't looking, either,
as I have no open 5 1/4" bays.
Old August 17th 10, 09:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Loren Pechtel

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 10:27:13 -0700 (PDT), Flasherly
wrote:

On Aug 17, 11:28 am, "Matthew" wrote:
Is there a front panel USB for the 5¼" slots? I've got a friend in the
photography business and he uses a ton of portable usb drives and is always
complaining about not having enough front panel USB ports. I've tried
googling for this but haven't really had any luck. I'm not really looking
for any sort of multi port device (which is all I can seem to find), just
one with nothing but a lot of USB. :-)

Actually at this point I would settle for a 3½" one if it was also nothing
but USB and had more than 4 ports.

The OS will chain up to 128 USB headers, maybe more.

Tricky part will be getting past 28 drive letters.

What are 27 and 28?

Note that you can mount your volumes in directories rather than as
standalone drives. This will let you mount as many as Windows will
tolerate.
Old August 18th 10, 02:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Matthew[_4_]

Default thanks everyone

"fwibbler" wrote in message
news:gemini.l7bbxp0002ji901fc.thedoctor@thedeathzo ne.free-online.co.uk...

"Matthew" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks again, looks like I'll end up stacking a couple of 4 ports for him.

Old August 18th 10, 07:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Easter

Matthew wrote:

Thanks again, looks like I'll end up stacking a couple of 4 ports for him.

It is hard to imagine (exactly) how it would be to be in someone else's
shoes and the OP didn't say whether there were any existing USBs in
front, so I'll assume that there are not.

So...

.... if I were a person who had a 'whole bunch' of USB devices, say about
6 or 7, that I sometimes needed to connect and disconnect; I would
prefer to have something like 4 USB ports in that front bay and some
kind of powered hub device as a separate bunch of USB ports on my
desktop nearby or maybe standing on edge next to my computer.

That way I wouldn't have to worry about a 'deficiency' of power to my
accumulated USB devices and I wouldn't have to worry about 6-8 usb
connection cables sticking out of the front of my computer's bays.

--
Mike Easter