ATI and HL2 team has screwed nvidia

Old September 16th 03, 11:07 PM
banshee

Default ATI and HL2 team has screwed nvidia

ATI and HL2 team has screwed nvidia.

They did it on purpose, what gaming company would release the first
offical benchmarks that had poor frames on drivers that where old, and
refused to use to the ones that nvida told them to use.

I smell $$$

Old September 17th 03, 12:12 AM
First of One

Ones that nVidia "told them to use", or ones that are publicly available?

--
First of One
Formula SAE Racing: http://fsae.utoronto.ca/

Old September 17th 03, 12:14 AM
who be dat?

You need to jerk your biased ass out of the twilight zone and come back to
reality. It's not just Half-Life these problems are showing up in. They
are appearing elsewhere. Nvidia is in trouble. Your nonsense isn't going
to help them out.

Chris Smith

Old September 17th 03, 12:15 AM
Bean

From what ive read around some of the news sites, the newer
drivers/51.XX are beta so valve doesnt want them to run the benchmark with
the beta drivers. If these drivers where whql'd, then i think valve would
let them use the newer drivers. Also i heard that the drivers dont improve
the framerate by that much anyways, 10-15fps. the 5900ultra is still behind
with the newer drivers. Plus the new drivers are only for specific game
optimizations. nvidia will have to optimize a new set of drivers for every
new dx9 game that comes out, and that is bad.

Old September 17th 03, 12:26 AM
that bloke

Or maybe it's nVidia's fault for being crap?

Their next drivers will only lower the quality of HL2 anyway.

Then they're going to have to do that for every DX9 game.

Old September 17th 03, 12:27 AM
magnulus

The only people that have been screwing us, are NVidia. Sad, because I
really like NVidia, and I'd be reluctant to go back to an ATI card. NVidia
knew their hardware couldn't run full precision, 32-bit shaders, but they
implemented them anyways. ATI on the other hand runs at 24-bit and you
can't see the difference, they are still better than NVidia's
implementation. If NVidia could run the shaders at 24-bit, it would be a
non-issue, IMO.

Just an example... try running Dusk Ultra or Last Chance Gas. Notice the low
framerate. Now imagine making a game with 4-5 characetrs and a whole world
that looks like that. Oh, and turn on anisotropic fiiltering and watch the
framerate absolutely die.

And Gabe Newell is right... Valve can afford to implement 2 seperate
codepaths and create a seperate set of optimized shaders. But many smaller
developers, the bread and butter of computer gaming, just aren't going to
have the time or money. Thank you, NVidia. Guess if a developer doesn't
have millions and doesn't participate in your PR campaign, they are chopped
liver.

NVidia has exactly 14 days until Halo comes out, then they are ****ed if
they don't have a solution. I for one won't play Halo, Half Life 2, or Deus
Ex in anything but their full dynamic range. I've seen the difference in
the screenshots, and it makes me a believer. The difference is greater than
going from DX 7 to DX 8, it's like a whole new world of realism- forget
dynamic shadows, bump mapping, specular highlights, nothing beats a clean,
pure image free of the muddy colors so common to computer games.

I for one am tired of buying a new videocard every year and paying 300
bucks for it. Even if I sold off my GeForce FX, it probably wouldn't even
make enough to buy a Radeon 9600.

Old September 17th 03, 12:33 AM
Roger Squires

ATI and HL2 team has screwed nvidia.

Yes, and Carmack and Nvidia did precisely the same thing with the early
Doom3 benchmarks. Remember those, when it was shown 'conclusively' that the
5800 beat the 9800 hands down? Even Carmack got suspicious of all the
Nvidia tweaking surrounding those carefully controlled benchmarking
sessions. 'Ultrashadow' my ass!

What goes around comes around, Nvidia's bad karma has caught up with
them.

rms

Old September 18th 03, 12:03 PM
Nada

"Roger Squires" wrote:
ATI and HL2 team has screwed nvidia.

Yes, and Carmack and Nvidia did precisely the same thing with the early
Doom3 benchmarks. Remember those, when it was shown 'conclusively' that the
5800 beat the 9800 hands down?

The wind out of the 5800 was so strong that the testers with Ati cards
couldn't even come in at first when the benchmark started.

Even Carmack got suspicious of all the
Nvidia tweaking surrounding those carefully controlled benchmarking
sessions. 'Ultrashadow' my ass!

After the benchmark tests, there was a pajama party held for the VIP
where people from Nvidia would make shadowpuppet theatre with
flashlights and hands. The crowd favorite shadow was the alligator.

Just wait. GeForce6 Blowtorch will be the best **** you'll ever see.
Old September 17th 03, 12:36 AM
Lenny

ATI and HL2 team has screwed nvidia.

Fairly good troll man. That, or you're just plain silly. If that's the case,
go read this: http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7873

If you still believe ATi and Valve screwed Nvidia after you've checked out
that report I got more news for you that might upset you: Santa Claus
doesn't really exist either!

Old September 17th 03, 04:39 AM
Larry Roberts

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 08:07:51 +1000, banshee wrote:

ATI and HL2 team has screwed nvidia.

They did it on purpose, what gaming company would release the first
offical benchmarks that had poor frames on drivers that where old, and
refused to use to the ones that nvida told them to use.

I smell $$$

I'm sorry for ya, but ATI couldn't pay the kind of money that
Valve would lose by coding the game to run good only on ATI hardware
users. Valve is in the buissness of making money. They do it by making
PC games that most gamers want to play. They would not jeperdize their
companies reputation on something as stupid as alinating customers who
are their "bread & butter".
We all like to think the "man" is out to put us down, but
Nvidia just "dropped the ball", and now they are taking flak for it
from all directions now. I really don't think drivers are gona fix the
problem. The FX 5800 was a "constapated turd", and the FX 5900 is just
a "softed turd" by comparison when it comes to DX9 shader technology.