External USB Hard-Drive - USB v1.0 or v2.0? - 5,400rpm or 7,200rpm? - 2MB cache or 8MB cache?

Old January 8th 04, 02:32 PM
Wayne Youngman

"Folkert Rienstra"wrote
snip
Nope.
Indeed.

"Rod Speed" wrote
Really depends on what you do to move the files
to and from the external drive and whether you
will ever do that using the new faster firewire 800
Generally they cant. I was more referring there to the
firewire alt and should have said that more carefully.

Andy wrote
See:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/specials_01_11/offers_nav.htm

160 Gig Firewire/USB2 for £120 today. I've just picked one up and my

local
store (Mold, North Wales) seemed to have about 30 left.

Seems to be the same as the EZ Disk drive from:

http://www.amacom-tech.com/main.html

The Amacom drives seem to retail at around £300 VAT inc but they are only

either
Firewire or USB2.

Box shows; Seagate, Ultra ATA, Smart, Firewire, USB2, Logos. 7200RPM,

Vert or
Horiz mounting, On/Off switch, 2MB Cache. Model Medion MD 40308. Seems

solidly
built. 3 years Guarantee.

Hi gentlemen,
thanks for your comments. It interesting to notice how firewire is faster
than usb2.0, even though usb2.0 has the higher throughput spec. Anyway I am
not intending to do any A/V editing with this *external drive*, just to be
able to back-up a load of data before the system is *reformatted*. For
compatibility sake I think usb1.0/2.0 is the way to go.

Andy: thanks for *ALDI* link, never heard of them before. Interesting to
see that they are offering:
http://www.aldi.co.uk/specials_01_11...ssortment.html ?

That external drive seems very good value, almost too good? hmmm. I ordered
last night a Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 External Drive Enclosure Kit F5U209uk
(£58.74) in which I will slap either an older drive or a new 80GB one, but
please post back how u get on with that *ALDI* special!

One more quick question, would an older computer have a problem
*recognising* a huge disk capacity if it was via the USB interface?
--
Wayne ][

Old January 8th 04, 08:20 PM
Rod Speed

Wayne Youngman
wrote in message ...
Andy wrote

See:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/specials_01_11/offers_nav.htm

160 Gig Firewire/USB2 for £120 today. I've just picked one up and
my local store (Mold, North Wales) seemed to have about 30 left.

Seems to be the same as the EZ Disk drive from:

http://www.amacom-tech.com/main.html

The Amacom drives seem to retail at around £300
VAT inc but they are only either Firewire or USB2.

Box shows; Seagate, Ultra ATA, Smart, Firewire, USB2, Logos.
7200RPM, Vert or Horiz mounting, On/Off switch, 2MB Cache.
Model Medion MD 40308. Seems solidly built. 3 years Guarantee.

Hi gentlemen,
thanks for your comments. It interesting to
notice how firewire is faster than usb2.0, even
though usb2.0 has the higher throughput spec.

Yeah, basically the result of the firewire protocol being optimised
for the movement of bulk data and USB being a lot more than just that.

Anyway I am not intending to do any A/V editing with
this *external drive*, just to be able to back-up a load
of data before the system is *reformatted*. For
compatibility sake I think usb1.0/2.0 is the way to go.

Yeah, spose so. While firewire is faster, the difference
isnt huge and it does limit your choice considerably.

Andy: thanks for *ALDI* link, never heard of them before.

They're doing that world wide now, interesting concept.

Interesting to see that they are offering:
http://www.aldi.co.uk/specials_01_11...ssortment.html ?

That external drive seems very good value, almost too good? hmmm.

They appear to be pricing that stuff very aggressively to
get people thru their doors, presumably hoping they will
continue to use their stores for food purchases in the future.

Interesting concept in how to get people's attention rather
than just spending on advertising that most just ignore etc.

They've also got some very unusual ideas about even
talking to the media at all. They appear to deliberately
tease the market that way, so people will take some notice.

Going to be interesting to see how they go over say a decade or more.

I ordered last night a Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 External
Drive Enclosure Kit F5U209uk (£58.74) in which I will slap
either an older drive or a new 80GB one, but please post
back how u get on with that *ALDI* special!

The main potential problem with aldi specials is ongoing
support. Be interesting to know what the story is there,
whether there is decent web site support for drivers etc.

One more quick question, would an older computer have a problem
*recognising* a huge disk capacity if it was via the USB interface?

Should be fine as long as the bridge in the external box can handle the drive size.

48bit LBA support is an entirely ATA problem, basically
in the ata driver. Since that isnt used with USB drives, its
shouldnt be a problem. It certainly isnt with scsi for example.

It would be worth checking that the external box does
have support for drives over 137GB in the bridge used
inside the box tho. Not all of the bridge chips do and its
possible that this model is being run out because it doesnt.

Old January 9th 04, 12:40 AM
Wayne Youngman

"Rod Speed" wrote
snip
It would be worth checking that the external box does
have support for drives over 137GB in the bridge used
inside the box tho. Not all of the bridge chips do and its
possible that this model is being run out because it doesn't.

Hi,
thanks for info. The particular model I bought goes up to 120GB I think
(ATA/100), that should more than cover me for my needs, however my point was
would I be able to use that with an older USB enabled system that can't
support large drives, but you made it clear that it probably will be fine.
--
Wayne ][