Cannot boot from secondary hard disk (bios setup)

Old January 4th 05, 11:30 AM
Ian

Default Cannot boot from secondary hard disk (bios setup)

G,day.

I have a Presario 2276, it has been functioning well.
I did post a message here in about Feb. 2003 about looking how to
upgrade the PC, I did a few things to it, placed a 4 USB 2.0 card, and
placed 256 & 64 MB memory cards in. This all worked well, and it has
worked well.

The problem I have now is that I have another hard disk 6.4 GB which I
want to boot from. To check the disk out I run the tools to check
sectors and such, all seems to be OK.

When I place the hard disk as the secondary master, the bios
recognises it and windows 98 can recognise it. I can write to it and
it is allocated as D: in windows 98.

In the bios (phoenix) there is the option to set boot device priority,
I have set this to Floppy, then CD, then hard disk. the other setting
is what the bios will check, to boot from first. I set this to the
disk that is on the secondary IDE (i.e. new disk) then the primary IDE
(i.e. old disk), then external add on card, but for some reason it
ignores this and always boots from the primary IDE (old disk), then
resets the bios settings to boot from the primary, then secondary.

I have even swapped the cables and made the new disk the primary and
the old disk the secondary. The new disk then boots the machine and I
am able to use the now disk on the machine, and access the old disk.
When I try to change to bios to boot from the old disk, it still boots
from the new disk, this makes the problem consistent, and not really
problem with the new disk (you would think).

I have tried changing the settings on the hard disk to run as masters,
then slaves, then as cable select, but there still is no joy.

I have placed the two disks on the primary IDE one as master, the
other as slave, but still no joy.

It seems that there is a bios setting here that I am not aware of, but
I think I have tried all possible settings here.

These are the settings that it currently is working under. please note
that the bios is auto detecting these devices, and they are on 40 pin
connectors.

Primary master IDE 4gb (cable select)
Primary Slave IDE CD (cable select)
Secondary master IDE 6.4gb (cable select)
Secondary slave (none)

Any direction would be useful, I have started to go a bit troppo
trying to sort this out. What I want here is a dual boot PC, the OS
will be set on one disk or the other, and the boot sequence is
determined by the bios.

Thanks in anticipation, Ian.
Old January 5th 05, 11:13 PM
Quaoar

Ian wrote:
[...]

Google: dual boot win98 ; it provides a wealth of references.

ASUS P5A still does not boot George Asus Motherboards 5 April 18th 04 09:16 AM
Some P4C800-E Deluxe Q's and upgrade advice requested please Paul Asus Motherboards 6 April 13th 04 08:46 PM
Hard drive will not boot Dave General 1 March 9th 04 07:16 PM
How Move OS XP from Old to New HD? Nehmo Sergheyev Homebuilt PC's 80 January 12th 04 06:10 PM
set CDROM as master not slave? kony General 1 June 28th 03 07:40 AM