John Carmack's official comments on NV40 (GeForce 6800 family)

Old April 16th 04, 02:08 AM
John Reynolds

"John Reynolds" wrote in message

"Derek Baker" wrote in message
Anyways, the 6800U looks like a very impressive part. The only real
negatives are the power consumption/heat and the fact that both AA and

AF
could be better. It'll be interesting to see if the R420 from ATI can
compete. Anthony "Reverend" Tan just quoted Tim Sweeney on B3D's

board
and
Tim said, about R420, that "It rocks!". This next generation is

definitely
going to be much more interesting than last year's, that's for sure.

John "fanboys suck" Reynolds

Got a link for that Tan comment?

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewto...asc&sta rt=76

Kids, don't let middle-aged people post online. I misread that freakin'
post. . .Sweeney is actually referring to NV40, not R420. Double d'oh!!!

John

Old April 16th 04, 02:32 AM
ec

"Destroy" wrote in message
And how much did nVidia pay Activison/id for the Doom 3 deal? I've

heard
4-5 million. Gwarsch! Carmack has sold out to nVidia!! He's deh

devil!!

He also seems to be in bed with Intel. His engines always run better on
nonAMD systems.

That's because AMD sucks ass.

Old April 16th 04, 02:46 AM
John Lewis

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 00:38:02 GMT, "John Reynolds"
wrote:

Anthony "Reverend" Tan just quoted Tim Sweeney on B3D's board and
Tim said, about R420, that "It rocks!". This next generation is

definitely
going to be much more interesting than last year's, that's for sure.

John "fanboys suck" Reynolds

aka John "Ati fanboy now, past- 3dfx and nVidia fan-boy" Reynolds.

I used to be a 3dfx fanboy years ago. I'll never make that mistake again.
Though I've been running ATI hardware since Sept. of '02 when the 9700 Pro
came out, I'll switch to a 6800U in a heartbeat if I think it's the better
part (gotta' wait for those R420 previews).

The sooner the better.... for Ati. Hopefully they will be able to
stick with the April 26 introduction and that the retail sales
availability will be close to that of nVidia. Vicious competition
is always great for the customer's pocketbook.

John Lewis

John

Old April 16th 04, 03:04 AM
John Lewis

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 00:45:01 GMT, "John Reynolds"
wrote:

"Derek Baker" wrote in message
Anyways, the 6800U looks like a very impressive part. The only real
negatives are the power consumption/heat and the fact that both AA and

AF
could be better. It'll be interesting to see if the R420 from ATI can
compete. Anthony "Reverend" Tan just quoted Tim Sweeney on B3D's board

and
Tim said, about R420, that "It rocks!". This next generation is

definitely
going to be much more interesting than last year's, that's for sure.

John "fanboys suck" Reynolds

Got a link for that Tan comment?

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewto...asc&sta rt=76

Quote from the above link.....

Seriously though, making a solid decision about the NV40 would have to
depend on the answer to "I wonder how it compares to the R420?". On
its own, in Tim Sweeney's words :

Tim Sweeney, to Rev via email prior to lifting of embargo, wrote:
It rocks!

From the comparison-question context, surely Tim is referring to the
NV40, not the R420 when he says "It rocks" ???

John Lewis

Old April 16th 04, 03:20 AM
John Lewis

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 01:08:36 GMT, "John Reynolds"
wrote:

"John Reynolds" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

You are forgiven. Very easy to happen when you lose your reading
glasses....

So, better start saving now for the 6800U ??? And power-supply.
Might as well just get a new case and power supply of the style
with the fan (hopefully quiet) in the middle of the cover and
close to the 6800U.........

John Lewis

Old April 16th 04, 04:05 AM
teqguy

ec wrote:

"Destroy" wrote in message
And how much did nVidia pay Activison/id for the Doom 3 deal?
I've

heard
4-5 million. Gwarsch! Carmack has sold out to nVidia!! He's deh

devil!!

He also seems to be in bed with Intel. His engines always run
better on nonAMD systems.

That's because AMD sucks ass.

I'll take SSE2 over 3DNOW! any day....

I mean, come on people... give it up... 3dNow's optimizations are now
INCLUDED on most GPU's.

3dNow only aided older cards that didn't have the bandwidth to match
the processor.

Now, the GPU's are outperforming the CPU, so it's entirely unnecessary.

AMD should definitely update this instruction set... if they did they'd
be god.

Imagine a processor with Pixel Shader 3.0, bump mapping, vertex
shading... drool
Old April 16th 04, 05:06 AM
Andrew

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 23:16:01 GMT, Destroy wrote:

He also seems to be in bed with Intel. His engines always run better on
nonAMD systems.

Because SSE is mysteriously disabled in Q3 engined games when run on
AMD CPU's.
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.
Old April 16th 04, 05:11 AM
NightSky 421

"John Lewis" wrote in message

"This is the biggest generation-to-generation performance leap that we
have ever seen with a new GPU," said Jen-Hsun Huang, president and CEO
of NVIDIA.

I hope so, since nVidia's reputation depends on it. That said, I have
read what Tech Report had to say about the 6800 Ultra and it looks as
though nVidia has really smartened up with their technology this time
around. I'm still left with a bad taste the way their PR department
handled the NV30 series though. I also look forward to seeing
comparitive reviews once both nVidia and ATI have all of their new cards
out.

Old April 16th 04, 05:18 AM
NightSky 421

"John Lewis" wrote in message

You are forgiven. Very easy to happen when you lose your reading
glasses....

LOL, I know the feeling as well, except that my glasses are far more
thick than just ordinary reading glasses. :-)

So, better start saving now for the 6800U ??? And power-supply.
Might as well just get a new case and power supply of the style
with the fan (hopefully quiet) in the middle of the cover and
close to the 6800U.........

Personally, I'll probably wait for the product refresh and grab a
first-gen R420 or NV40 (probably R420) when they drop in price sharply.
I too look like I'm in the position of needing a new power supply for it
though! I'm just glad that I already have a decent case with good
cooling (Lian-Li PC-60).

Old April 16th 04, 06:55 AM
zmike6

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 18:32:51 -0700, "ec" wrote:

"Destroy" wrote in message
And how much did nVidia pay Activison/id for the Doom 3 deal? I've

heard
4-5 million. Gwarsch! Carmack has sold out to nVidia!! He's deh

devil!!

He also seems to be in bed with Intel. His engines always run better on
nonAMD systems.

That's because AMD sucks ass.

Yeah, that Athlon64's really a dog, compared to the highly successful
and desirable Prescwatt, and the easily-obtainable Emergency
^H^H^H^H^H^H^ Extreme Edition. It's not like most benchmarks show
the Athlon64 to have better performance *and* lower power
consumption/heat issues. And, who would want a CPU that already
supports the next generation of operating systems, when you could get
an Intel 32-bit-only CPU?