FX 5900 cheaper than FX 5900 XT?

Old April 17th 04, 02:58 AM
GaryM

Default FX 5900 cheaper than FX 5900 XT?

I just looked at www.dabs.com and they have the following prices:

GeForce FX5900 128MB = £129
GeForce FX5900XT 123MB = £145

Isn't the XT slower than the regular one?
Old April 17th 04, 03:39 AM
papasurf

"GaryM" wrote in message
I just looked at www.dabs.com and they have the following prices:

GeForce FX5900 128MB = £129
GeForce FX5900XT 123MB = £145

Isn't the XT slower than the regular one?

I believe so but "go figure" on the way things are priced. It could be
different manufactures and the fact that the FX5900 is not selling as well
as something with an XT at the end

---

Old April 17th 04, 07:00 AM
teqguy

papasurf wrote:

"GaryM" wrote in message
I just looked at www.dabs.com and they have the following prices:

GeForce FX5900 128MB = #129
GeForce FX5900XT 123MB = #145

Isn't the XT slower than the regular one?

I believe so but "go figure" on the way things are priced. It could be
different manufactures and the fact that the FX5900 is not selling as
well as something with an XT at the end

---

The 5900XT has a lower memory bandwidth, because the ram is rated for
2.8ns rather than 2.2ns.

There are some exceptions to this, such as Leadtek's 5900XT, but most
of them have 2.8ns.

Rule of thumb:

Nvidia's Vision of XT = Cheap

ATI's Vision of XT = Expensive

Why they can't just explain this on the box..... beats me.... but the
price should definitely be an indicator for anyone who does their
homework.
Old April 17th 04, 09:50 AM
John Lewis

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 02:58:06 +0100, GaryM wrote:

I just looked at www.dabs.com and they have the following prices:

GeForce FX5900 128MB = £129

The Aopen@129 pounds is a genuine FX5900 GPU 400MHz, Mem 850 MHz.
Verified by somebody else who bought one out of the last batch Dabs
received. He was looking for another one for his son and they were out
of stock. Hopefully he is reading this posting, Reference nVidia
design. See picture. Heat sink 1.5 slot-widths high.

Genuine FX5900/128 command a premium price here in the US. Replaced
with the cheesy 5900FX, flimsy heat-sinking, slower memory. No thermal

monitoring on several versions.

There are only 12 left. Grab one.

John Lewis

Old April 17th 04, 11:31 AM
Bumnuts

Its well worth the money - I got one from Dabs a while ago - I have it
overclocked at 475/900

Great card
Bumnuts

Old April 17th 04, 10:24 PM
John

posted & mailed

John Lewis wrote:

The Aopen@129 pounds is a genuine FX5900 GPU 400MHz, Mem 850 MHz.
Verified by somebody else who bought one out of the last batch Dabs
received. He was looking for another one for his son and they were out
of stock. Hopefully he is reading this posting,**Reference*nVidia
design. See picture.**Heat*sink*1.5*slot-widths*high.

I'm just about to buy one these from Dabs. Are they 1) definitely the 2.2ns
version and 2) better than say, the Leadtek 5900XT

Sorry I'm not exactly an expert on Graphics Cards. I had considered the 5950
but it was too expensive. I think the 5900 would be the next best thing,
yes?

John.
Old April 17th 04, 10:42 PM
John

John wrote:

posted & mailed

John Lewis wrote:

The Aopen@129 pounds is a genuine FX5900 GPU 400MHz, Mem 850 MHz.
Verified by somebody else who bought one out of the last batch Dabs
received. He was looking for another one for his son and they were out
of stock. Hopefully he is reading this posting,**Reference*nVidia
design. See picture.**Heat*sink*1.5*slot-widths*high.

I'm just about to buy one these from Dabs. Are they 1) definitely the
2.2ns version and 2) better than say, the Leadtek 5900XT

Sorry I'm not exactly an expert on Graphics Cards. I had considered the
5950 but it was too expensive. I think the 5900 would be the next best
thing, yes?

John.

PS How is the AOpen card for noise? Important point I think. I can't find a
manucturer's spec anywhere for the card.
Old April 18th 04, 02:33 AM
crypto

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 06:00:47 GMT, "teqguy" wrote:

papasurf wrote:

"GaryM" wrote in message
[...]

Please say SOME Leadtek 5900XTs have 2.2 memory, mines does not, it
has 2.8 and I have heard others say they have 2.8 as well. It may
have only been early versions that had the 2.2 memory or perhaps the
luck of the draw.

Old April 18th 04, 04:21 PM
GaryM

There are only 12 left. Grab one.

I just looked a minute ago and it was down to 5, so I snapped one up
pronto.