Nvidia drivers seem to get corrupted over 2 week period

Old August 5th 03, 03:25 AM
Stuart M

Default Nvidia drivers seem to get corrupted over 2 week period

I have a weird and intermittent problem that I guess comes from my nvidia
drivers.

After about 2 weeks of normal use, my pc will boot up Windows (Win98SE) with
a lower refresh rate and/or a lower resolution. Sometimes I can reboot
Windows and the problem will temporarily fix itself, restoring the proper
refresh rate. Eventually though it will get to the stage where Windows will
not boot, and I think it is failing at the display adaptor initialization.
Then, Windows will only boot in safe mode.

At this point, I uninstall the nvidia drivers, install the standard pci vga
graphics adaptor, then reinstall the nvidia drivers, and then everything
works perfectly! But, in 2 weeks time the cycle will start again, as if the
drivers get gradually corrupted over a 2 week period forcing me to reinstall
them.

I've tried lots of things but can't seem to track the problem. I've tried
quite a few different detonator versions - new versions, old and supposedly
reliable versions, the version that came with the card, etc etc. The same
thing happens every time.

My setup is an Athlon 2400+, Shuttle mobo (latest VIA 4-in-1 drivers),
Geforce4 ti4200, Win98SE (fully updated).

Can anyone help me?

tia,
Stuart.

Old August 5th 03, 12:59 PM
Para_Sight

Check for a Virus...
use a software to completely remove the Detonator driver. You can get it at
nvnews.com. Reinstal the driver that way.

Old August 6th 03, 04:04 AM
Stuart M

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a go.

- Stuart

e.rogers.com...

Old August 6th 03, 08:25 AM
Ron Merts

Geesh, that sounds like a Windows 98 system that was upgraded to Windows ME.
Works great for 2 weeks then pray it stays that way! Do you have something
like Precision Time, Gator, Xupiter or Kazaa on your system? It definitely
sounds like a virus or worm like program is in there causing you a bunch of
grief. If a virus scan doesn't reveal anything you might look for some
Spyware program running loose. I recommend Spybot - Search & Destroy (got
the heads-up from ZDNet on this one). It's free, doesn't install any goofy
services or "run-as-service" apps and is regularly updated...plus the best
thing, it works well and is easy to use.

Ron

Old August 6th 03, 09:56 PM
Flow

Win98se should not give that prob.
If you really cant find anything i suggest to format your drives and
reinstall windows step by step.
Then check if it still happens.Could be your videocard corrupts the drivers
which is corrected every new install of those.
Then maybe some app or game corrupts your detonator drivers.If you play
cracked games or warez i suggest to leave those alone for 3 weeks to make
sure none of them is causing this.

"Ron Merts" schreef in bericht

Old August 6th 03, 10:07 PM
Stoobie

Thanks for the comments I don't run any warez or other software like
Precision, Gator, Xupiter or Kazaa. A full virus scan with updated
definitions has shown nothing. I also regularly use adaware so I don't
think I have any spyware either. I have reformatted and reinstalled Win98SE
relatively recently as well! So as you can see, I've done the
straightforward things. Thanks for your help anyways....

- stuart.

Old August 6th 03, 10:31 PM
Flow

Let me tell you what i experienced with a mainboard.
I have a hp930c printer and connected it to my elite p6BAT-+ mainboard
trough usb.
This board is from 1999 and when i installed my drivers all went well,but
after a while
(a few days or 1 week)my printer got detected at boot again asking for
drivers.
Whatever i did,the printer now was not there at random,
and ofcourse i only noticed this when trying to print something.
The only cure was to reinstall the whole process.
I was thinking of a faulty printer but with parralel cable i had no probs.
So i used that cable,last year i build a new system and now my printer works
flawless with same os and drivers on usb.
So it was my old mainboard causing this grief.Maybe your mainboard is the
problem.

"Flow" schreef in bericht
Well,then it's a hardware error i think.
If you can borrow a different agp card you can test if it's the videocard

or
the mainboard agp slot.

"Stoobie" schreef in bericht
. au...

Old August 6th 03, 11:05 PM
Stuart M

I guess it could be the mainboard - anything's possible. It's only 6 mths
old though (Shuttle AK32A) - I got it when my original mobo died. Another
thing I've noticed is that in the Device Manager under "Monitor" I sometimes
have multiple items for the one monitor. For instance it will say "Sony
CPD-E200 monitor" as the first item, then I may have 2 or 3 more items
beneath that, that both say "Default Monitor". Maybe the system sometimes
fails to detect the monitor properly at boot up, and adds another "Default
Monitor". That could explain why my screen resolution and monitor refresh
rate are sometimes lower at boot up - because the system doesn't think the
monitor can support the higher settings. Does this make sense?

Monitors don't need drivers as I believe they are already in Windows,
however I have tried manually installing the Sony driver though that hasn't
fixed anything.

- Stuart.

newsteYa.21503$KF1.309119@amstwist00...

Old August 7th 03, 03:08 PM
jpi

Hi,

I've exactly the same problem here. One difference though is that I
re-install N'Vidia driver directly over itself without going thru the
default Windows VGA driver step.

Everything else the same. I've seen this since about 3 months during which I
may have seen it at least 5 times.

JPI

de ...