Large System Cache - XP

Old January 11th 04, 08:12 AM
LostSoul

Default Large System Cache - XP

That would have been me that wrote that. I did not create the fix though. I
studied it an found the cure though.And with sucess for me more of a
performer but not a killer tweak yes an no. Read excerpt from page after i
give a peice of info.
Enable large system cache

Some OS settings are specifically designed to optimise memory usage. One is
"large system cache" in Windows 2000 and XP. When a piece of program code
isn't being actively used, Windows swaps the code out of user memory and
into a system-maintained memory segment called the system cache.

If it remains unused for an even longer period of time, it's moved to the
hard disk swapfile. This allows the system to maintain as much contiguous
user memory as possible to launch and execute programs.

Windows has two cache sizes: large and small. The small cache is enabled by
default, but if your PC has 512MB of RAM or more, you can reap the benefits
of a large system cache.

To activate it manually, dive into the Registry and navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\Memory
Management. Add or edit a new DWORD value named LargeSystemCache and set it
to 1 (in decimal or hex), then reboot.

BUT DO NOT DO IT THIS WAY YOU MUST USE THE FIX I POSTED EARLIER OR YOU RISK
CORRUPTING YOURE HARD DRIVE DATA NO BULL**** EITHER LESS YOU WANNA REINSTALL
XP LOL. DO IT THE WAY I POSTED STEP BY STEP SORRY FOR CAPS WANTED THIS TO
STICK OUT. if you need me to repost the how to say so an i will but do it
like it says or risk data corruption thats what happened to me at first
before the fix. Now i see a improvement new i would cause used it on 98se
and win me before. but allways had data corruption till now . its something
you have to try if you dont like it switch it off. It helps though better
ram utilization at minimal cost 2% versus no cache slow loading of programs
an in some instances i feel personaly that it helps other ways weather it be
internet an games imho.

Take it or leave it im pleased with result an have been looking for a fix
an have found it. An also i am not responsible if you have trouble but will
try an help if you do which i doubt just read it the fix. bye
THE LINK http://www.apcmag.com/apc/v3.nsf/0/0...256D810023BC4B
TO READ MORE BOUT SYSTEM CACHE AN OTHER STUFF. I HAVE NOT USED ANY OTHER
STUFF. THERE. IF YOU NEED A FIX SAY SO

"Dam6" wrote in message
Hello,

An earlier post suggested a fix for the subjected title. I would like to
know what the difference with regards to speed is when changing from
Programs to system cache?

Old January 11th 04, 08:18 AM
LostSoul

ABSOLUTE CONFIRMATION IT IS ATI RESPONSIBLE FOR PROBLEMS WHEN SWITCH FROM
PROGRAMS to SYSTEM CACHE (large system cache on xp)

Here it is guys, if you read my earlier post you will see I was about to try
the registry fix from Mr.Wilson
but decided to try the ATI fix I got from Links Golf support months ago for
a vid corruption problem with the 7.83 catalyst.

I did this "fix" listed below BEFORE switching the radio button from
programs to system cache.
So do this first - this is the whole content from Links support staff:

Ok, I have some new info in regards to Links. There's something called
Smartgart in the ATI control panel. Right click your desktop and click
properties, then the settings tab and then on the advanced button.
Click on the smartgart tab and then turn fast writes off and set the
AGP speed to off and then reboot. Then go back and set both settings
back to what they were. Reboot again. Links should play fine now.

Note when you reboot the AGP will be back up to 4x, at least it should be if
you have ATI Smart on auto in services and not disabled. When you are going
to set it back all that is left to do should be to enable fast write again
and reboot.
Then after that reboot you go into the Performance tab and switch it over to
"system cache" from
"programs" (leave the TOP radio button for programs alone, leave it on that
setting)
Now you reboot again, and this is where my system would lock up and hang
before so bad it was frozen.
Now it boots through fine, and checking the Performance settings is on
system cache button as well.
My available ram program shows an increase of 8mb of increased "available"
ram, and the task manager
non-paged kernel memory stat went up about 9000k meaning the AGP functions
were loaded right into
the ram.
This is all fine on systems of 512 ram and up, but not even the OS kernel
should be loaded right into ram
with any less, so a word of caution - you have no business using a larger
system cache without a minimum
of 512 ram, it could really mess you up, and with this additional ATI stuff
in there I would be more comfortable recommending at least 1gb ram like me
at least until ATI explains this anomoly!
Good Luck guys - I suspect this accomplished the same thing as the registry
fix but would be curious to know for sure if anyone knows how to confirm
this.
Email that Links fGolf fix off to the Catalyst drivers feedback program
after this works for you and complain like hell that it is absolute proof
their driver software is not up to scratch and is corrupting xp ability to
use the larger system cache setting without all this esoteric nonsense!!
Hope this helps.

Old January 11th 04, 08:32 AM
LostSoul

This is where people posted about large system cache an ATI cards an some of
the other cards had trouble using the system cache because of video an hard
drive corruption when using large system cache.

People were looking for fix like me that benifit my system.heres that tread
page 5 will show fix midway down as posted here word for word. LONG POSTS
LET ME TELL YA Bye http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/2459/?o=0

Old January 11th 04, 01:04 PM
LostSoul

Im not sure but if they release another driver set. If it will be fixed or
have to do this procedure again thought id mention that thinking ahead.
Which means you would have to turn off large system cache before new drivers
if you do this. or risk corruption again. Heres hoping its fixed in
next set Cause they do admit to it. Read the faqs there at ati and it is
not just there cards causing it no further info then that.
NO MENTION OF THE OTHER CARDS INVOLVED

Old January 11th 04, 01:37 PM
LostSoul

Now faq from ati about it
linkage------http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4217.html

Old January 11th 04, 02:00 PM
Dam6

1 - Turn off fast Writes
2 - Turn off AGP Speed
3 - Reboot
4 - Set the above back on (fast writes / 8x)
Turn cache on here?
5 - Reboot
Or turn cache on here?
6 - Reboot

Do you put System cache on AFTER 5 or after 4?

Just set System Cache on after 4, rebooted and my system reset itself just
before the login screen appeared.
Nice. Do not fancy doing that again unless it's 100% clear (Which it is but
I'm thick!)

Athlon 64 3000+
MSI K8t Neo Motherboard
1gb PC2100
3 x Western Didgital 7200rpm 8mb drives
Radeon 9800 Non pro
Herc game Theater XP
MSI DVD Copier
The fastest floppy drive ever.

Old January 12th 04, 05:02 AM
LostSoul

1. Have you installed youre motherboard drivers an are able to use agp turbo
mode. Also fast writes on in bios if youre system can handle it with out
crashing or other problems. reboot if you install the motherboard drivers in
agp turbo. see if its stable see 2.

2. The test to see if you can use agp turbo is the direct x accelleration
tests if you get white screen then you will have to reinstall mother board
drivers an select the alternative to turbo. Also is it stable in youre games
after a period of play if it is see 3.

3. Make sure smartgart is on in services in xp.

4. If it is turn off agp an fast writes reboot.

7. it should now work. If it doesnt turn system cache off in xp = if it
corrupts or unstable.

My system is nf7s v2.0, 512 oc memmory, xp 2500 barton, 9700 pro ati of
course, agp fast writes on in bios, memmory setting 2.5 3 3 11. 235
frontside bus an @ 9.5 multiplyer, voltage cpu 1.755, agp 1.60, memmory 2.90
an this tweak works with it.

AGAIN IM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR A FLUCK OR ERRORS TRY IF YOU WANT TOO AN NO IM
NOT LYING IT WORKS HERE THIS TWEAK HAS ONLY BEEN TRIED ON XP FOR ME NOT 98
OR ME

Old January 12th 04, 05:06 AM
LostSoul

Dont know how to make it simpler then that ive tryed to cover other avenues
an issues as you can see lol. Only other alternative is for me to come to
you if youre in pa.

Old January 12th 04, 07:28 PM
Dam6

Ummm..... Don't worry about it!!! Turned on Cache on the varying XP PCs in
work and asked all the users to notice any difference. Obviously, not being
like you or I, none of them noticed a damn thing.

I had best leave it until (if) the new ATi drivers fix it.

et...

Old January 13th 04, 05:48 AM
LostSoul

lol blind too. k whatever