EP45-UD3L Running 32-bit XP: Can I Use A 3-TB Drive?

Old July 28th 12, 09:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
(PeteCresswell)

Default EP45-UD3L Running 32-bit XP: Can I Use A 3-TB Drive?

EP45-UD3L Running 32-bit XP.

Can I Use A 3-TB Drive? (not as system, just a data drive for
my media center app)
--
Pete Cresswell
Old July 29th 12, 05:04 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
EP45-UD3L Running 32-bit XP.

Can I Use A 3-TB Drive? (not as system, just a data drive for
my media center app)

You either use the special driver provided by the disk manufacturer
(which makes several virtual hard drives, each virtual hard
drive smaller than 2.2TB). Or, you use GUID partitioning and
the disk is non-bootable. It shouldn't be a function of the
motherboard particularly, if you just want a data-only drive.
Things get more interesting, if it must boot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

The best place to study the issues, might be to start
on the disk manufacturer's page for your 3TB drive. As they
may have FAQs or tutorials, and downloads, to make the most
of your drive.

The "special driver" idea is fine, if you stick with one
OS, but may not be as useful if you boot a variety of
OSes.

Paul