What Should I Expect of ATI 3200 On-board Graphics?

Old November 10th 09, 04:41 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Jim Beard[_2_]

Default What Should I Expect of ATI 3200 On-board Graphics?

I have a new Gateway 4300DX 64-bit AMD 7450 cpus with the
ATI 3200 graphics on the motherboard. I have installed
the Mandriva Linux 2010.0 OS, and there is some question
in my mind about what this combination should do.

Hardware detection says,
Module: ‎Card:ATI Radeon HD 2000 and later (radeonhd/fglrx)

The XFdrake gui offers me two radeonhd drivers, one
(fglrx). This one works, but XFdrake disables Composite
and that precludes 3D. I deleted the disable in xorg.conf
and am getting some eye-candy features, but not what
I expected.

The other driver provides narrow vertical color bars, but
does not work.

I tried a Google for specs on the 3200, but all I found was
gereral product specs that tell me little about what I should
expect to see.

Where should I be able to find data on what this chip-set
will do?

I do not need heavy-duty graphics (system that went out had
an nVIdia GeForce 6100 motherboard/7300 video card, and that
was ok, though not real great with Compiz or Matisse 3D),
but I would like to get whatever this new system has to offer.
The system does have 6GB of RAM, so that should not be a
major problem.

Linux xx.home.invalid 2.6.31.5-tmb-desktop-1mdv #1 SMP PREEMPT
Sat Oct 24 09:01:40 EDT 2009 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 7450 Dual-Core
Processor GNU/Linux

Cheers!

jim b.

--
UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
expects users to be computer-friendly.
Old November 11th 09, 12:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
KCB[_2_]

"Jim Beard" wrote in message
technologies...
[...]

I'm not a linux user, but ATI does offer linux drivers. Maybe you just need
different drivers.
he (it may wrap)
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...l ang=English

Or, the FAQ might help:
http://ati.amd.com/products/catalyst/linux.html

An article at Tomshardware.com about the chipset with integrated HD3200
graphics, but they used windows for benchmarks:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...pset,1785.html

Old November 12th 09, 01:41 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Jim Beard[_2_]

KCB wrote:
"Jim Beard" wrote in message
technologies...
[...]

I installed the ATI fglrx driver, which very systematically
removed the Mandriva-packaged fglrx driver and installed itself
in its place. Oddly, the ATI installer came in an 83MB
package,and there was much compiling during the install.
Performance seems about the same. Apparently the Mandriva
packager did a good job in setting things up for install on my
machine.

The other Radeon HD driver apparently is one of the open-source
projects. It does not work on my system.

Thanks for the links. They were useful, and likely will be in
for more use in the future.

Cheers!

jim b.