New hard disk architectures

Old December 28th 05, 11:40 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

Default New hard disk architectures

On a sunny day (Tue, 27 Dec 2005 23:23:39 -0500) it happened Keith
wrote in :
Keith

$1
Dear Mr Keith

$2
I sort of anticipated your reply based on experiences in previous exchanges.
Since in these sessions we have so far not reached a concensus, I propose we
try to agree on something less controversial.

$3
In the good political spirit, say we make a statement that we reached
agreement on that wasps are black with yellow stripes, or yellow with black
stripes.

$4
If you acknowledge that, then I will support you in the first statement and
admit the second is merely a different way of describing it.
This will, to all readers of c.s.i.p.h.c. show that we are making progress.

$5
You are then also given the last word.

$Motivation
Because it is this progress in mutual relations that will reduce flames, and
as you and all others know, flames are very dangerous now that some still
have the Christmas trees in the house.

$Summary and comon statement
See $3

Over to your delegation:
start last word

/end start last word

Old December 28th 05, 08:57 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

In article ,
says...
On a sunny day (Tue, 27 Dec 2005 23:23:39 -0500) it happened Keith

$1
$2
$3
$4
$5

By my calculations, you owe me $15 for the education.

--
Keith
Old December 28th 05, 09:41 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

On a sunny day (Wed, 28 Dec 2005 15:57:18 -0500) it happened Keith
wrote in :

In article ,
says...
On a sunny day (Tue, 27 Dec 2005 23:23:39 -0500) it happened Keith

$1
$2
$3
$4
$5

By my calculations, you owe me $15 for the education.

mm, try to think out of your box.
In politics if you 'owe' somebody, it could well be in the form of
nukes.

The '$' stands for paragraph.
Maybe over time we could reach concensus, but given that humans are mortal,
I can only repeat that the $3 wasp declaration would make you look better
in the eyes of the masses.
I will still support that $3.

Probably not needed to set an new date for a new bilateral until you have
worked out what to do with $3.

Old December 28th 05, 11:32 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

Keith wrote:
You really don't think the drive can buffer more than
the OS - faster. A disk "cache" isn't. That's why it's
called a "buffer" and not a "cache". Read ahead/behind is
a win, write-buffering is a rather questionable strategy.
"Cacheing", I think not. You'll never *hit* that cache.

This does raise a question: Modern OSes do considerable disk
caching (or buffering if you prefer). Should the strategy
or size change if the HD hw does more layout-aware buffering?

It has a *lot* to do with it. The processor just tells
the stupid DMA controller what to do and it does it.
Hardware is faster than software, dontchaknow.

Very much agreed. On a Linux system, you can change the disk
access modes using `hdparm` and test it with same. The CPU is
_absolutely_ horrible at IO, often achieving only 1 MB/s.

-- Robert

Old December 29th 05, 12:06 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

On a cold snowy day (Wed, 28 Dec 2005 16:06:31 -0600) it happened Rob Stow
wrote in :

Bright guy that he is, I am sure that by now Keith has worked out
that with $3 he can buy a beer at most pubs.

Not here, convert it to Euro and rounding gives zero ;-)

I suggest you find another system for referring to a "third
paragraph" - most of us in Canada, the US, and a few other
countries are going to find it impossible to /not/ read $3 as
"three dollars".

Irrelevant, US and Canada will be covered by glaciers.
The 'few other countries' will be South America (all communist) and Europe
(half commies).

Penguins will walk all over Redmond, and they need no beer.

Old December 29th 05, 03:12 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

wrote in :

Bright guy that he is, I am sure that by now Keith has worked out
that with $3 he can buy a beer at most pubs.

Not here, convert it to Euro and rounding gives zero ;-)

So Two=Zero in the EEC? I guess that explains why the French
and German economies are such a mess.

I suggest you find another system for referring to a "third
paragraph" - most of us in Canada, the US, and a few other
countries are going to find it impossible to /not/ read $3 as
"three dollars".

Irrelevant, US and Canada will be covered by glaciers.
The 'few other countries' will be South America (all communist) and Europe
(half commies).

Penguins will walk all over Redmond, and they need no beer.

It will be polar bears, not penguins, and you should /never/ say
no to a thirsty polar bear.

Old December 29th 05, 04:26 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

wrote in :

Bright guy that he is, I am sure that by now Keith has worked out
that with $3 he can buy a beer at most pubs.

Not here, convert it to Euro and rounding gives zero ;-)

So Two=Zero in the EEC? I guess that explains why the French
and German economies are such a mess.

I merely extrapolated form when the dollar was still 4 Ducth guilders,
now it is less then 2 (less then one Euro), so it wil be below
zero i nan other 20 years, in fact you'd have to pay for people to
accept the old paper and it takes a lot to clean that up and keep the
environmet clean ;-)

Penguins will walk all over Redmond, and they need no beer.

It will be polar bears, not penguins, and you should /never/ say
no to a thirsty polar bear.

Did you see that movie 'screamers' I think it was, you'd be surprised what
a teddy bear [like that] can do to earth.

(For the ones who did not see it, Teddy was a self replicating killer robot).

Penguins will wander all over the world, they need ice and fish.
Sure some would like North pole?