Opteron gives a thrashing to Xeon...once again

Old December 25th 05, 02:10 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.invest.stocks.amd

Default Opteron gives a thrashing to Xeon...once again

...."convincing victory of AMD Opteron CPUs in all major tasks" ...
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...tation_22.html
It's no surprise that Opteron won once again, it is just impressing
how consistently it did across multiple benchmarks, and by how large a
margin. Hey Mickey Dell, Steve Jobs! Can you read? How much more
proof you need to get convinced?

NNN

Old December 25th 05, 05:50 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.invest.stocks.amd

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 02:10:29 GMT, "
wrote:

..."convincing victory of AMD Opteron CPUs in all major tasks" ...
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...tation_22.html
It's no surprise that Opteron won once again, it is just impressing
how consistently it did across multiple benchmarks, and by how large a
margin. Hey Mickey Dell, Steve Jobs! Can you read? How much more
proof you need to get convinced?

Can AMD guarantee a constant reliable supply of the chip and have
capacity to deal with sudden surges?

Can AMD throw in a couple of millions in erm advertising sponsorship?
:P

--
A Lost Angel, fallen from heaven
Lost in dreams, Lost in aspirations,
Old December 25th 05, 03:19 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.invest.stocks.amd

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 05:50:48 GMT,
(The little lost angel) wrote:

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 02:10:29 GMT, "
wrote:

..."convincing victory of AMD Opteron CPUs in all major tasks" ...
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...tation_22.html
It's no surprise that Opteron won once again, it is just impressing
how consistently it did across multiple benchmarks, and by how large a
margin. Hey Mickey Dell, Steve Jobs! Can you read? How much more
proof you need to get convinced?

Can AMD guarantee a constant reliable supply of the chip and have
capacity to deal with sudden surges?

Definitely yes. The market for 2+ socket servers/workstations is a
small fraction of desktop market. All it would take would be
packaging more of the chips into 940 instead of 939, the cores are cut
from the same wafers. Of course AMD doesn't have the capacity to
support the volume of low-end $299 Dell desktops, but these can do
with selery.

Can AMD throw in a couple of millions in erm advertising sponsorship?
:P

Highly doubt it. Maybe if - and when - AMD grows into something
comparable with INTC. But then, you don't need to convince Joe
Sixpack that he needs to buy a new Opteron rig - he's the target for
the $299 Dell desktop. The ones who need Opteron powered systems
spend in general much less time in front of the TV, and are much less
inclined to follow the 30 second ad comparing to Joe Sixpack. And
even when they browse Internet, they are more likely to have the ads
blocked - I, for one, do it on many levels, including
c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts - when any piece of adware breaks
other lines of defense, I track its url and add it to the file
remapped to 127.0.0.1.

;-)

NNN

Old December 26th 05, 05:26 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.invest.stocks.amd

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 15:19:43 GMT, "
wrote:

Can AMD guarantee a constant reliable supply of the chip and have
capacity to deal with sudden surges?

Definitely yes. The market for 2+ socket servers/workstations is a
small fraction of desktop market. All it would take would be
packaging more of the chips into 940 instead of 939, the cores are cut
from the same wafers. Of course AMD doesn't have the capacity to
support the volume of low-end $299 Dell desktops, but these can do
with selery.

I'm not too sure about that. One of my friend was just complaining to
us the other day over dinner how proposing an AMD based solution
almost screwed a project with a client because AMD couldn't supply a
hundred or so Opteron from anywhere. Couple that with various
complaints of AMD processor shortage from local forums makes me wonder
if AMD have not already maxed out their current production
capabilities.

After all, I don't think they can just respond to a sudden demand for
Opterons just like that because they would had to start like a month
or two before the demand arrives?

Can AMD throw in a couple of millions in erm advertising sponsorship?
:P

Highly doubt it. Maybe if - and when - AMD grows into something
comparable with INTC. But then, you don't need to convince Joe
Sixpack that he needs to buy a new Opteron rig - he's the target for
the $299 Dell desktop. The ones who need Opteron powered systems
spend in general much less time in front of the TV, and are much less
inclined to follow the 30 second ad comparing to Joe Sixpack.

It's not about the actual advertisements, note the hesitation before
calling it an "advertising sponsorship" and the subsequent smiley
Old December 26th 05, 07:28 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.invest.stocks.amd

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 05:26:11 GMT,
(The little lost angel) wrote:

I'm not too sure about that. One of my friend was just complaining to
us the other day over dinner how proposing an AMD based solution
almost screwed a project with a client because AMD couldn't supply a
hundred or so Opteron from anywhere. Couple that with various
complaints of AMD processor shortage from local forums makes me wonder
if AMD have not already maxed out their current production
capabilities.

This is rather a supply chain deficiency affecting (probably
temporarily) only your corner of the world. But I think the market
forces will straighten it - if there's demand, the supply will follow.
Here in the US, Opterons from 142 all the way to 880 are available,
most from more than 1 vendor, and ship immediately. Looks like
there's a shortage of 140 though (no more produced) - but 142 is a
pin-compatible replacement ;P

NNN

Old December 27th 05, 02:53 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.invest.stocks.amd

Never anonymous Bud wrote:
Sounds like a LARGE load of bull to me.

I've been to a small local shop here in San Diego,
and seen STACKS of Opterons in trays.

And there are MANY shops here, most larger than the one I saw these.

X-bit labs - Hardware news - AMD Cannot Supply Enough Chips, Company Says.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...226172910.html

--
There is no failure, only delayed success

http://www.usenet.com
Old December 27th 05, 03:59 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.invest.stocks.amd

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in message
Never anonymous Bud wrote:
Sounds like a LARGE load of bull to me.

I've been to a small local shop here in San Diego, and seen STACKS of
Opterons in trays.

And there are MANY shops here, most larger than the one I saw these.

X-bit labs - Hardware news - AMD Cannot Supply Enough Chips, Company Says.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...226172910.html

--
There is no failure, only delayed success

http://www.usenet.com

Surprised Nvidia doesn't have similar problems, since it usually is packaged
in a system
intergration with AMD.

Old December 27th 05, 05:24 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.invest.stocks.amd

Arnold Walker wrote:
Surprised Nvidia doesn't have similar problems, since it usually is packaged
in a system
intergration with AMD.

Well, there's more than one package for an AMD processor, which is
something you can definitely say about AMD processors, but not the other
one.

Yousuf Khan

Old December 27th 05, 12:45 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.invest.stocks.amd

Never anonymous Bud wrote:
Sounds like a LARGE load of bull to me.

I've been to a small local shop here in San Diego, and seen STACKS of
Opterons in trays.

And there are MANY shops here, most larger than the one I saw these.

X-bit labs - Hardware news - AMD Cannot Supply Enough Chips, Company Says.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...226172910.html

Surprised Nvidia doesn't have similar problems, since it usually is packaged
in a system
intergration with AMD.

Huh? This is a different kind of "packaging" - the shortage is in chip
carriers, heat spreaders etc... nothing to do with system integration.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
Old December 28th 05, 03:09 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.invest.stocks.amd

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 07:45:59 -0500, George Macdonald
wrote:

Never anonymous Bud wrote:
Sounds like a LARGE load of bull to me.

I've been to a small local shop here in San Diego, and seen STACKS of
Opterons in trays.

And there are MANY shops here, most larger than the one I saw these.

That would be really strange. I told my friend about this and he was
rather annoyed because the AMD HQ here said they tried to pull in the
Opteron from USA but was told they were unable to get that many
pieces. Perhaps they shipped them all out to the local shops in US and
had nothing left in their warehouse?