GeForce 6600 GT AGP crashing in video games

Old November 27th 04, 08:57 AM
Robert Oschler

Default GeForce 6600 GT AGP crashing in video games

Hello,

I recently purchased a XFX GeForce 6600 GT, AGP version, and I am
experiencing crashing problems.

My specs:

Dell SC400 2.8 GHz P4 with 512 MB of RAM, with HyperThreading enabled
Windows 2000 service pack 4 with all updates applied
Latest DirectX 9 drivers
Note: there are no on-board integrated graphics. After uninstalling the
drivers and the board from the Device Manager, I removed the existing ATI
Rage XL card and put in the AGP 6600 GT.

I tried upgrading to the latest Nvidia drivers, the BETA version, but that
didn't help.

Windows itself runs fine. I don't see the crash until I go into a video
game that makes use of DirectX. The game plays for a few minutes and then
crashes in one of two ways: it either reboots the system or it goes dead
with the monitor complaining of no video signal input. The games I have
tried and have all crashed so far is Max Payne 2, Half-Life 1 and Half-Life
2.

Any ideas on what to try next or what could be happening?

Thanks.

Old November 27th 04, 09:12 AM
Robert Oschler

Update:

I tried turning off hyperthreading but that did not help. I am not positive
on this but it seems to be happening during or right after an in-game movie
plays (cut-scene movie).

Thanks.

Old November 27th 04, 11:37 AM
John Smithe

"Robert Oschler" wrote in
:

Update:

I tried turning off hyperthreading but that did not help. I am not
positive on this but it seems to be happening during or right after an
in-game movie plays (cut-scene movie).

Thanks.

Make sure you have all the latest game patches. If you have installed
Coolbits remove it. You will have to remove and re-install the driver to
remove Coolbits. Use the drivers that came with the card. Check for a
driver update from XFX.

Old November 27th 04, 03:09 PM
Robert Oschler

Old November 27th 04, 04:20 PM
Anthony

turn off fastwrites in the bios

Old November 28th 04, 10:52 AM
John Smithe

"Anthony" wrote in news:zP1qd.6753$3I.2921@okepread01:

turn off fastwrites in the bios

I'll second this. Another thing to look at is power. Do you know how many
watts your supply is? Determining how many watts you need is not something
I can help with. There are some sites that do a calculation for you based
on what you have on your PC but I don't have the URL's saved. Did you
hookup the power connector on the video board? Finally, take a look at the
NVidia forums at:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php?
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=5

the third is about a thread called:

'GeForce 6800 and random freezes'

Old November 28th 04, 02:43 PM
Bandit

Sounds like a power supply Problem to me or it could be after you
unistalled the ATI drivers some stuff got left behind try to run the
Cat un installer from ATI it will remove all ati driver stuff from
you're system
http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/m...lystutils.html

Old November 28th 04, 04:41 PM
Robert Oschler