eMachines / Gateway Question

Old April 8th 09, 12:56 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
kraut

Default eMachines / Gateway Question

Just out of curiosity does Gateway own eMachines or vice-versa?

I just purchased an eMachine because I got a good deal on it plus it
had Windows XP on it. When I unpacked it there was a one year Gateway
warranty with it.

TIA

Old April 8th 09, 01:19 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Frank

kraut wrote:

Just out of curiosity does Gateway own eMachines or vice-versa?

I just purchased an eMachine because I got a good deal on it plus it
had Windows XP on it. When I unpacked it there was a one year Gateway
warranty with it.

TIA

Question is who owns Gateway:

http://www.crn.com/it-channel/201804110

what restructuring is involved and what are states of bankruptcy.

When I bought my last GW 2 years ago, it was almost like buying a
generic machine as far as some of the literature went.
Old April 8th 09, 03:57 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
kraut

On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 20:19:07 -0400, Frank
wrote:

kraut wrote:

Just out of curiosity does Gateway own eMachines or vice-versa?

I just purchased an eMachine because I got a good deal on it plus it
had Windows XP on it. When I unpacked it there was a one year Gateway
warranty with it.

TIA

Question is who owns Gateway:

http://www.crn.com/it-channel/201804110

what restructuring is involved and what are states of bankruptcy.

When I bought my last GW 2 years ago, it was almost like buying a
generic machine as far as some of the literature went.

Yes well on this eMachine that had the 1 year Gateway warranty there
is an C:\acer directory with a bunch of stuff I have not really
checked out yet so who know who owns what!!

Thanks for the reply.

Old April 8th 09, 04:37 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers[_2_]

kraut wrote:

Just out of curiosity does Gateway own eMachines or vice-versa?

I just purchased an eMachine because I got a good deal on it plus it
had Windows XP on it. When I unpacked it there was a one year Gateway
warranty with it.

TIA

At this time, none of the above. Acer bought eGateMachines a while
back, lock stock and barrel. Now Acer owns both the Gateway and the
emachines brand names.

IIRC, Gateway got the corporate upper hand when it came together with
eMachines, but many of the eMachines execs remains.

Prior to acquisition by Acer, the Gateway boxes used good quality
Intel-designed and branded motherboards in the boxes with Intel CPUs,
much like they did going way back to Pentium II days. The recent
eMachines used either DFI or Intel motherboards, depending on model, a
drastic improvement from the junk inside their earlier computers, prior
to Pentium 4. But the power supplies were made by Bestec, a paragon of
low quality. When Bestec PSUs fail, they generally take out the
motherboard, too. I tossed away some perfectly good eMachines black
cases because motherboards with an eMachines BIOS are in such short
supply. It made no sense at all to pay a premium for a replacement
motherboard... Ben Myers
Old April 8th 09, 01:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Frank

On Apr 7, 11:37*pm, Ben Myers wrote:
kraut wrote:

[...]

For those of us that are just users and not computer persons, this
stuff gets confusing.
I went through warranty issue last year in that I had bought computer
at Comp USA and found extended warranty was with them and not GW but I
was dealing with 2 companies undergoing restructuring. Fortunately
Comp USA replaced problem keyboard.
Old April 8th 09, 02:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers[_2_]

kraut wrote:

[...]

ALWAYS important to ask who is providing any service or replacement
parts under warranty and for how long. For example, I do not know the
answer, but who provides warranty parts and service for a Dell system
bought at WAL*MART ???

Also, it generally makes no sense at all to buy an extended warranty on
a desktop system. Depending on who actually does the warranty work, it
may not be a good idea to get an extended warranty on a laptop.

A warranty is no better than the financial well-being of the company
providing it... Ben Myers
Old April 8th 09, 05:05 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Frank

kraut wrote:

[...]

Yes, all previous computers were bought directly from GW and I had
extended warranties that were not that expensive. I did not realize
this in buying from Comp USA. Years ago I had one GW that was a real
lemon and even got a new monitor a month before the extended warranty
expired. I wish I could have collected the frequent flier miles on that
computer. That was over a dozen years ago but in today's climate, I
would not buy an extended warranty.