Toshiba Satellite S3000-514 Laptop

Old September 10th 04, 07:47 AM
vipin

Default Toshiba Satellite S3000-514 Laptop

Hi,
Can some one guide me thru the steps to install Windows XP on my laptop.
Thanks in advance.
Vipin
Old September 12th 04, 05:22 PM
Gene McGrady

(vipin) wrote in message . com...
Hi,
Can some one guide me thru the steps to install Windows XP on my laptop.
Thanks in advance.
Vipin

Hi Vipin,

I got the following helpful information from a product I bought at
www.tilde.us. It worked for me, anyway. There are also a lot of
useful utilities, tools and instructions on the boot diskette and CD
that can help you no matter what computer and operating system you
have, if you wish to go this route. Not having a Toshiba (I have a
Dell), I don't know if there are any proprietory considerations, but
below are the basic instructions for installing or reinstalling
Windows XP. I hope it helps.

What you will need:

A Windows XP Home CD

A Computer with CD-ROM access

To start this Windows install. First check that the first boot device
in your system BIOS is set to the CD-ROM Drive.

(To find out how to access the BIOS please refer to your motherboard
manual or the manufacturer of your Laptop. (The system bios can
usually be entered on boot, usually by pressing the F1, F2, F8, F10 or
DEL key. Make sure you save the settings before exiting))

If you are unsure or don't want to enter the BIOS then just test the
computer by putting the CD-ROM in the drive and reboot your computer.
This is the recommended way to install windows.

- To begin insert your Windows XP Home CD and reboot you computer. A
message "Press any key to boot from CD....." will appear, press the
space bar to continue.

- Setup will now inspect your computer hardware and configuration.

- Setup now prepares your computer for install.

- From this menu press "ENTER" to begin the install.

- Windows XP License agreement, read, and if you agree press "F8" to
continue, press "ESC" if you disagree. If you disagree setup will
finish.

- The next step is to delete the partition, press "D" to delete the
selected partition.

- Now press "ENTER" if you are sure you want the partition deleted.

- Now is your final chance, press "L" to confirm deletion.

- Now you have to select where to install XP. Press "ENTER" to
confirm the partition you want to install into.

- Now you need to format the hard drive, NTFS is recommended, but you
can also use FAT32. Make your decision using the arrow keys and press
enter.

- The hard drive will now format.

- and then setup will begin to copy files.

- Setup now initializes the Windows XP configuration.

- It is now time to restart Windows XP, press "ENTER" to speed up
process, otherwise Windows will do it itself in 15 seconds.

- Boot will recognize that the XP CD is in the drive, DO NOT press
any keys, let setup bypass the CD boot.

- Windows is now booting.

- The install process continues.

- Now your regional and language options. Your mouse should now be
active, so click on "CUSTOMIZE".

- Now select your Standards and Formats, plus your location, then
click "OK".

- Now click on "DETAILS".

- Next select your default language, click "OK" when done.

- Now that you have made all necessary changes click on "NEXT".

- Now it is time to personalize Windows. File in your name and if you
wish you can also file in the Organization section. Click "NEXT" when
ready.

- Now it is time for your product key. The product key will be on the
packaging that XP was supplied with. It is 25 digits long. Some OEM
computers will have a sticker on the side or back with your product
key. Input the key and press "NEXT".

- Now select your computer name and your admin password. Confirm the
Admin password and press "NEXT".

- Date and Time settings are next, change as need be, then press
"NEXT".

- Windows will then continue installing.

- If a network card has been detected then you will get the following
menu. Select "TYPICAL SETTINGS" and press next. This configured later
in Windows.

- More network configuration, change workgroup name if need be and
click
"NEXT".

- Windows will continue installing.

- Windows install will now finalize.

- It is now time to restart Windows XP again, press "ENTER" to speed
up process, otherwise Windows will do it itself in 15 seconds.

- Boot will recognize that the XP CD is in the drive, DO NOT press
any keys, let setup bypass the CD boot.

- Windows will continue loading.

- Windows will now adjust your resolution, click "OK" to continue.

- If you are happy with the changes, click "OK" otherwise press
"Cancel" to return to the old settings

- Windows will now apply changes. Be patient.

- Windows "WELCOME" screen.

- and finally the Windows XP Desktop. Windows is now installed.

Good luck!
Old September 13th 04, 10:15 AM
vipin

(Gene McGrady) wrote in message . com...
(vipin) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Thanks McGrady...I was able to install Windows XP.