Printing problem with Deskjet 870 under Win XP

Old November 29th 03, 08:17 PM
Tom

Default Printing problem with Deskjet 870 under Win XP

I have an intermittent problem with my DeskJet 870 Cxi printer since I
installed it on a PC running Windows XP SP1. The printer worked flawlessly
under Windows 98, using HP driver v.11.12.

The problem is the following:
Using a variety of different applications, from word processors to Internet
Explorer.
While printing a document, the printer suddenly stops, and the amber resume
light starts flashing. At this point, the print process is ruined. I have
tried the obvious, such as pressing the resume button, which, in this case,
only moves the paper forward or backward. I have deleted the printer driver
and reinstalled it several times. When I turn the printer off, wait 20
seconds, and switch it back on, the printer spews a number of pages of
garbage and oversized characters.

I have tried rebooting Windows XP and starting my print job over from
scratch, but the printer stops at precisely the same point as when the
previous print job was interrupted.

The documents are only text so it can't be a memory issue.

I even used the HP online printer check:

**********
hp printer check detected the following:
Connected Printer: hp deskjet 870cse/870cxi/870k
Operating System: WindowsXP
Connection Port: Parallel

results:

You are using the latest driver!
A check of your driver settings shows no problems.
**********

Tom

Old November 29th 03, 10:30 PM
Cari

When you uninstall the printer, do you remember ALL the steps in XP?

Ignore Step 4 and all you're doing is reisntalling the older corrupted
drivers.

Cari
www.coribright.com

Old November 30th 03, 02:46 AM
Tom

Thanks Cari!

Your method for uninstalling the driver was more thorough than what
Microsoft recommends. I also noticed an extra step was necessary when I
reinstalled the driver. I had to pick from three similar models in that
series of printers.

Regards,
Tom

deskjet 845 C ink Pascal Printers 2 November 17th 03 09:16 AM
Deskjet 960 no longer printing...filled ink Dancer Printers 0 September 4th 03 11:06 PM
HP Deskjet 842C problem Trev Printers 1 September 3rd 03 03:59 AM
HP Deskjet 722C Problem Tony Printers 0 September 2nd 03 06:32 PM
Epson 880 printing problem Tony1that matters Printers 0 August 30th 03 08:10 PM