Finally got the 9800, but now have some issues...

Old October 12th 03, 04:26 PM

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 14:39:25 -0400, "sb" wrote:

Second issue, while I was playing Halo, the system shut down HARD. I had to
unplug the motherboard power connector and reconnect it to get it to even
come back on. Box says I should have a 300 watt PSU and I do. Here's
currently what I have in the system...

WOW again!

This happened to me the minute I put my 9800 pro in. It would just
shut down the PC. Is your power led still on after the shut down?
At first I did what you did then I noticed the power LED was still
on. After that I just had to hold the power button in until the MB
powered off like normal and then could reboot.

Long story short the 9800 pro takes more power. I also had a 300watt
PS and after adding up everything in the box it was obvious that I was
pushing the limits of that 300 watts. I upgraded PS to a TruePower 430
and haven't had a shut down since.

Get new PS with more power. GEt one that has a good 12v rail
Old October 12th 03, 07:16 PM
Wayne Youngman

"sb" wrote
Yep, already had the latest Hyperion 4 drivers and the latest bios. I stay
on top of that stuff, but good call! Thanks.

I think I probably will reinstall XP fresh and see what that does. Because
at this point it has not been worth the cost of the card and I was

thinking
of returning it and sitting on my GeForce 3 for a while. Also, I ran the
3DMark03 benchmark and it wouldn't even complete the benchmark - got an
error saying benchmark aborted!

Hi,

sounds like a pain! I too use the 9800 and so far so good (very good even!).
Before you even think of returning a product that is having problems you
should always try to do a *clean* install of your operating system. I'm
sure allot of people here can get away without doing this, but if all else
fails what have you got to lose?
--
Wayne ][

Barton (AQXEA) XP2500+ @ 2.2GHz (10x220) - 1.75vCore
CoolerMaster Aero 7 Lite - 3,200rpm
ABIT NF7-S (v2.0 - BIOS#14)
512MB Dual TwiSTER PC3500 @ DDR440 1:1 (8,3,3,2.0 - 2.8v)
Sapphire Atlantis 9800 - 3.3ns Samsung
240GB (2x120GB) WD-SE SATA RAID-0 (16k Stripe)
Antec SX630II Mini-Tower Case Inc 300w PSU
WinXP-PRO-SP1
Cat 3.7 - DX9.0b

Old October 12th 03, 08:07 PM
Pluvious

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 14:39:25 -0400, "sb" wrote:

Second issue, while I was playing Halo, the system shut down HARD. I had to
unplug the motherboard power connector and reconnect it to get it to even
come back on. Box says I should have a 300 watt PSU and I do. Here's
currently what I have in the system...

Don't use Halo as any sort of judge of how much better ATI is then Nvidia. Halo
runs like **** on ANY system. Fire up another favorite of your's and you'll see
a MAJOR difference with the 9800 PRO.

I also suggest you bite the bullet and reformat or reinstall XP. A clean XP
install is always a good thing. (IF you have two hard drives.. put the OS on one
harddrive and EVERYTHING else on the other. That way in the future you can just
format the first drive whenever you have 'issues' and won't loose all your other
data.

Pluvious

Old October 13th 03, 05:05 PM
Thomas

Pluvious wrote:
(IF you have two hard
drives.. put the OS on one harddrive and EVERYTHING else on the
other. That way in the future you can just format the first drive
whenever you have 'issues' and won't loose all your other data.

Good advice!! But, you dont need two harddrives; just two partitions. I have
been practising this 'trick' for about 7 years.... From the time i strated
using Windows 95, to be exact :-P

Thomas

Old October 14th 03, 04:43 PM
chrisv

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:07:23 GMT, Pluvious
wrote:

IF you have two hard drives.. put the OS on one
harddrive and EVERYTHING else on the other. That way in the future you can just
format the first drive whenever you have 'issues' and won't loose all your other
data.

Easier said than done. Windoze WANTS to put stuff in
%systemroot%\Program Files

Old October 14th 03, 06:10 PM
Thomas

chrisv wrote:
IF you have two hard drives.. put the OS on one
harddrive and EVERYTHING else on the other. That way in the future
you can just format the first drive whenever you have 'issues' and
won't loose all your other data.

Easier said than done. Windoze WANTS to put stuff in
%systemroot%\Program Files

Yeap... like Office and stuff... Well, i reinstall that too :-) It's
especially my documents, pics, music and games i put on the second (and
third, and fourth..) harddrives.

Thomas.

Old October 16th 03, 11:23 PM
Tom

Pluvious wrote:

(IF you have two hard drives.. put the OS on one
harddrive and EVERYTHING else on the other.

He can't do that - you missed the point that he uses the 2 drives in a
RAID 0 configuration! The 2 drives are in essence 1 drive as the data
is alternately written between the 2.

-=tom=-