All in Wonder long cable run question--RF or composite cable?

Old October 16th 03, 03:03 AM
JPE

Default All in Wonder long cable run question--RF or composite cable?

I'd like to use the DVR feature of an AIW card, but I have to drive a
standard def TV about 50 feet away. Would it be best to use an RF modulator
and drive the audio and video over an RG-6 RF cable into the TV or try to
run cables for the composite and audio separately to the TV? Obviously, it
will be easier from a cabling perspective and distribution to use the RF
modulator to combine them into one cable, but will I pay for that in quality
or will it perform all right for me?

Thanks in advance.

JPE

Old October 16th 03, 02:51 PM
PhxGrunge

"JPE" wrote in message
. net...
I'd like to use the DVR feature of an AIW card, but I have to drive a
standard def TV about 50 feet away. Would it be best to use an RF

modulator
and drive the audio and video over an RG-6 RF cable into the TV or try to
run cables for the composite and audio separately to the TV? Obviously, it
will be easier from a cabling perspective and distribution to use the RF
modulator to combine them into one cable, but will I pay for that in

quality
or will it perform all right for me?

Thanks in advance.

JPE

The RCA cabling is the way to go. If you go RF cable, the signal has to be
converted at the card, then again at the TV - double conversion. With RCA
cables, there is no conversions, therefore much better picture and sound
quality.

However, the video cards are not ramped up to send a signal over any cable
for more than about 25 feet. You can pick up a cheap audio/video amp at
Radio Shack to boost the signal you need to go 50 feet.

Old October 16th 03, 09:36 PM
JPE

Sounds good--thanks for the insight!

"PhxGrunge" wrote in message

"JPE" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

Please advise on home cable internet setup Victor Smith General 11 December 8th 04 05:16 AM
UK Question..Cat6 crossover cable David Williams Homebuilt PC's 1 December 3rd 03 04:15 AM
MGE UPS cable question €®ik General 3 November 25th 03 12:58 AM
40 & 80 wire ide cable question eng Homebuilt PC's 4 November 22nd 03 12:29 AM
monitor cable question RB General 2 October 7th 03 02:25 PM