Sapphire ATI Radeon 9800 128MB (GX-030-SP) Questions

Old September 19th 03, 07:10 PM
Dam6

Default Sapphire ATI Radeon 9800 128MB (GX-030-SP) Questions

Hello,

First of all I must say that this is the first time I have even be anywhere
near ATI.... Been an Nvidia fanboy for a few years now, but, all good
things..... .

I am selling my GF4 ti-4200 and thinking of getting the subject headed
Sapphire card. As usual being new to ATI I have a few questions which i
would like to ask. Here goes: (I will however be reading most posts above
mine!)

The card seems great and can be clocked to 9800 pro speeds but,

1. Is there any point in flashing the card due to the above? Is it worth it
and where could I go to get the flash file?
2. Is it a good card? The only review I found stated that it is, so... I
take it as gospal.
3. Which are the current best drivers and what should I not do when
installing?
(Windows 2000 Pro, All updates, standard Nvidia Det40 drivers. Don't
want my system to fall over)
4. In light of the cards power, would you recommend changing anything on my
sys with regards to HL2 / Doom3?

Never thought I would do it, get rid of my GF4 for a Radeon.

My Spec:
Athlon XP2400+ (Board does nor support any higher CPU)
1Gb PC2100 standard mem
ECS K7S5a motherboard
Hercules Game theater XP
3 7200rpm HDs (Varying sizes)
400Matt PSU
Lots of fans.
Crap Scanner
Nice speakers

Thank you very much all,
Me.

Old September 19th 03, 08:53 PM
Ben Pope

Dam6 wrote:
Hello,

First of all I must say that this is the first time I have even be
anywhere near ATI.... Been an Nvidia fanboy for a few years now, but,
all good things..... .

I am selling my GF4 ti-4200 and thinking of getting the subject headed
Sapphire card. As usual being new to ATI I have a few questions which i
would like to ask. Here goes: (I will however be reading most posts above
mine!)

The card seems great and can be clocked to 9800 pro speeds but,

1. Is there any point in flashing the card due to the above? Is it worth
it and where could I go to get the flash file?

I wouldn't bother flashing the card, although many have had success. It
means you don't have to "overclock" it seperately as the settings are then
built in.

2. Is it a good card? The only review I found stated that it is, so... I
take it as gospal.

Yes, it's a good card.

3. Which are the current best drivers and what should I not do when
installing?
(Windows 2000 Pro, All updates, standard Nvidia Det40 drivers. Don't
want my system to fall over)

Latest from ATI website. Currently Cat 3.7. Just install them... :-)

4. In light of the cards power, would you recommend changing anything on
my sys with regards to HL2 / Doom3?

Never thought I would do it, get rid of my GF4 for a Radeon.

You'll be pleased...

My Spec:
Athlon XP2400+ (Board does nor support any higher CPU)

Not so...

1Gb PC2100 standard mem
ECS K7S5a motherboard

Thats the SIS 735 chipset... supports up to 133MHz FSB - bit limited, but
should get away with it..

Hercules Game theater XP
3 7200rpm HDs (Varying sizes)
400Matt PSU
Lots of fans.
Crap Scanner
Nice speakers

Fine.

At this stage I'd say try it and see how it goes.

Ben

Old September 25th 03, 03:45 AM
Mike P

Try to get a card with samsung ram, 3.3 is ok. They overclcok better,
especially if you flash; mine does pro sppeds without the flash. If you get
infineo 3.0 ram don't expect much more than 324mhz or so, and DON'T flash
the bios, only samsung pro bios' are available so far.

Mike